Heritage Owners Club

NGD....1986 H140....Perfect for "The Blues"

brentrocks

I'm a sucker for oddball/one-of-a-kind Heritage guitars.

The instant i saw this H140, it was love at first sight.

A 1986 H140...done up in Pelham Blue Burst!!!

This 140 was factory stock when i got it.   I upgraded the stock Grovers to locking Grovers, the Schaller bridge and tailpiece to Tonepros and the Schaller pickups to Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros.

The Schaller pickups sounded like dog doo....go figure.

There were a bunch of high frets, so I leveled and polished the frets.   The original brown Heritage case showed up with a broken handle, which was kind of a bummer.

For being 35 years old, its in really great condition!   No cracks or breaks.  Little bit of buckle wear.

2 piece, bound mahogany body, 1 piece mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard and the ever-important Stinger.

A great playing and great sounding, super rare Heritage!

IMG_6075.JPG

I had to take a radius block over the frets.   All frets were really high in the center of the fretboard.   Then re crowed and re polished them.   It was a lot of work but well worth it in the end.  

The Duncan’s sound so much better in this guitar.  Warmer and fatter tone.   

34 minutes ago, bolero said:

congrats!!

nice music man amp too!

I just picked up the Musicman Thursday.  It was a local Facebook marketplace find.  The phaser doesn’t work but I think it’s a bad pot.  HD 150.  4-6L6S.   Solid state pre amp.   2 channel with reverb.   It’s kinda chimey like a Vox but has balls.  Super cleans.  Great reverb.   Hopefully the phaser is an easy fix.   

I wonder if there was something about Schaller pickups from back in 86-87.   The ones in my H140 sounded like crap also.  They were nothing like the ones in the 157 or 535.   That's one reason I went for the Alnico Pro IIs years ago.   They sound great in that guitar.

Nice snag, Brent.

11 hours ago, brentrocks said:

I just picked up the Musicman Thursday.  It was a local Facebook marketplace find.  The phaser doesn’t work but I think it’s a bad pot.  HD 150.  4-6L6S.   Solid state pre amp.   2 channel with reverb.   It’s kinda chimey like a Vox but has balls.  Super cleans.  Great reverb.   Hopefully the phaser is an easy fix.   

Musicmanman are great amps. I use to won one. My '68 Super Reverb has MM speakers in it. Looks like you had an all around good wee. Congrats.

I also have an old Blue H140. It is blue curly maple with a beautiful blue top and a matching pickguard. I definitely had to get rid of the Schallers and put some Dimarzio Anniversary PAF's in it and it sings. It was my first foray into Heritage. I had heard about Heritage but had not seen one. I went into an old mom and pop music store and picked up a  C serial number H-170 and the H-140. I traded a Greco Les Paul(that I had paid $500 for) and $1000 for both. Those were the days. I do love the Blue H-140 but my H-170 may be my favorite guitar in my room.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:25 AM, brentrocks said:

I have a 112 RP combo, they are really good sounding amps! and the phaser is cool to have. good luck getting it running!

Archived