Heritage Owners Club

Aerodynamic pedal board.

JeffB

1727964131_IMG_7164(1024x583)-Copy.thumb.jpg.25919d4ad1de8e1a3fbd916e45b5b59f.jpg

New project. Just a prototype. I think the next one is going to be even faster.

I have to finish this one and apply clear coat or some sort of finish.

I made so many mistakes trying to get this thing together. I kept trying to fix them by making them into features, and then I would make a mistake of the feature. I did learn a lot.

930207847_IMG_7159(1024x758)-Copy.thumb.jpg.1d8c65f04e0e14df3c4af45484805f02.jpg1160150457_IMG_7160(1024x509)-Copy.thumb.jpg.2d3e6c58e5e4e9214d5e8e231c65d436.jpg623967740_IMG_7161(1024x573)-Copy.thumb.jpg.e2c8896406bd3445e3b96f705609ef4e.jpg

That looks great Jeff, the design is very similar in to the pedal  board that I just bought, which I really like, although the one I bought (besides being tolexed with metal corners), has the top panel as a separate piece that's screwed to the bottom frame. The holes in you top deck look like they are in the perfect place for wiring.

7 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

That looks great Jeff, the design is very similar in to the pedal  board that I just bought, which I really like, although the one I bought (besides being tolexed with metal corners), has the top panel as a separate piece that's screwed to the bottom frame. The holes in you top deck look like they are in the perfect place for wiring.

Thanks. When I started on this you posted your thread on your acoustic pedal board and I asked about it there.

I made this out of off cuts from other projects. Bits of jarrah, Tasmanian oak(trade name for various species) and hevea.  Basically glued bits of off cuts together into panels and then cut the panels to size and made a box, then run the saw through the box and ended up with two wedge/pedal board shaped items. You have a choice of two profiles, 90degree to the floor front and back or 10'ish degree to the floor....I will post a pic, it will be easier :)

The second option is probably the easier option for installing the deck and is the one Im doing now. Im going to tolex it and add corner brackets to match a fender amp. That Samp pedal board you posted is what inspired me to pick up the pedal board shaped item on my work bench and turn it over.

I used pedals I have and averaged out the input and outputs and power inputs. I think rather than having the three smaller holes  second row and top row I will go two larger slots and center hole, I have a lot of pedals that I actually use on my board with top mounted jacks.

1837801061_IMG_7169(1024x340).thumb.jpg.1d81633eebc01f2507e368ac94c9d70f.jpg

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Thanks. When I started on this you posted your thread on your acoustic pedal board and I asked about it there.

I made this out of off cuts from other projects. Bits of jarrah, Tasmanian oak(trade name for various species) and hevea.  Basically glued bits of off cuts together into panels and then cut the panels to size and made a box, then run the saw through the box and ended up with two wedge/pedal board shaped items. You have a choice of two profiles, 90degree to the floor front and back or 10'ish degree to the floor....I will post a pic, it will be easier :)

The second option is probably the easier option for installing the deck and is the one Im doing now. Im going to tolex it and add corner brackets to match a fender amp. That Samp pedal board you posted is what inspired me to pick up the pedal board shaped item on my work bench and turn it over.

I used pedals I have and averaged out the input and outputs and power inputs. I think rather than having the three smaller holes  second row and top row I will go two larger slots and center hole, I have a lot of pedals that I actually use on my board with top mounted jacks.

1837801061_IMG_7169(1024x340).thumb.jpg.1d81633eebc01f2507e368ac94c9d70f.jpg

Well it's looking great so far, can't wait to see the finished board! You should consider putting jacks for input/output and power on the side of your board. I like that feature on my Samp board, it reall cleans up the wiring on the stage, and they are much easier to service than a broken or dirty jack on a pedal.

11 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

Well it's looking great so far, can't wait to see the finished board! You should consider putting jacks for input/output and power on the side of your board. I like that feature on my Samp board, it reall cleans up the wiring on the stage, and they are much easier to service than a broken or dirty jack on a pedal.

Yes! I was thinking of an AC connector for under mounted power supply, an in and out from guitar to front of amp and an in and out for an amp fx loop.

I dont use the fx loop in my fender but I did on mesa's and other amps that had good gain channels.

Off topic but sitting here thinking about placement for the in/out/AC  panel it just occurred to me Ive only ever played stage left in any band Ive been in, snare and hats.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Yes! I was thinking of an AC connector for under mounted power supply, an in and out from guitar to front of amp and an in and out for an amp fx loop.

I dont use the fx loop in my fender but I did on mesa's and other amps that had good gain channels.

Off topic but sitting here thinking about placement for the in/out/AC  panel it just occurred to me Ive only ever played stage left in any band Ive been in, snare and hats.

For the last 20 years of me playing solo, I always set my acoustic amps to the right of me, and my electric guitar amp to the left of me, so on my new pedal board I have a 1/4" guitar input jack along with an XLR output jack (goes to my acoustic amp or PA) and power jack on the right because I always run a power strip to the right and back of me. On the left side of the board is a 1/4" jack which will go to the electric guitar amp. 

This summer I did some gigs on the street because of the COVID dining restrictions, and here is a good example of one of simpler setups (older pedal board)...

Street.jpg

Turns out you can make one larger wedge into multiple smaller wedges!

Im going to tolex the smaller wedge. Wasnt until I finished rebating the wedge and rounding the corners of the deck that I realised I had made a rod for a newb tolexers back.  I think it might have created a problem for myself.

1427608913_IMG_7171(1024x731).thumb.jpg.e142f10004a0540841bde5f541bf3722.jpg1133730720_IMG_7172(1024x709).thumb.jpg.bc3502080bfbea38a24e1ffa48ea9796.jpg

5 hours ago, JeffB said:

Turns out you can make one larger wedge into multiple smaller wedges!

Im going to tolex the smaller wedge. Wasnt until I finished rebating the wedge and rounding the corners of the deck that I realised I had made a rod for a newb tolexers back.  I think it might have created a problem for myself.

1427608913_IMG_7171(1024x731).thumb.jpg.e142f10004a0540841bde5f541bf3722.jpg1133730720_IMG_7172(1024x709).thumb.jpg.bc3502080bfbea38a24e1ffa48ea9796.jpg

That small board looks cool! Can't wait to see how your tolexing comes out! Good luck!!!

32 minutes ago, Steiner said:

Very beautiful.  There's nothing like hardwoods after finish.

Thank you.

The three different timbers have all come up better than I expected. Im familiar with seeing jarrah finished, flooring, architraves, furniture etc so no surprises there.

This started out as a vehicle to practice a few things I had never really done and I didnt put enough thought into it at any stage, probably because I didnt know what I was doing. I kinda regret not mapping things out and taking more care at each stage.

I wanted to try laminating, some simple inlays, something to practice finishing on and practice doing dovetails, a little pedal board seemed like a cheap easy way to go. I just jumped in with out a plan. I stuffed up at every stage simply because I didnt have a plan.

The thing that really annoys me is that because of a stupid damn quirk in my make up I know I will keep making pedal boards until I make one where it all comes together. Ive got other stuff to get on with and I will be stuck in a stupid loop making pedal boards I dont need. I just plug straight into a clean amp, guitar>lead>amp.

What I did learn is I need to upgrade my table saw, make or invest in a good router table, invest in a thicknesser and probably an edger/planer. Oh yeah, and dust extraction. I think I realised that when I was making the speaker cabs but laminating and simple inlays bought it right into focus. I better sell a couple of guitars.

Ah, the joys of woodworking...  I started with cutting boards and learned a ton.  I moved to speaker cabs which are a PITA simply because they're bulky and heavy; now I've a half dozen or so extra 2X12 cherry cabs.  Oops.  It's addictive!

You don't need a planer/jointer.  A radial arm saw and/or circular saw with a track will get you there.  We have a DeWalt 735 planer with a Byrd cutter (worth EVERY penny).  The table saw is requisite with a good fence.  We have 3 router tables, all with lifts, mandatory when 0.001" tolerances are needed.  Watch for used equipment if you're good at calibrating machines.  Most are built to last for decades.

The darker wood on the pedalboard looks close to North American Walnut.  Lovely stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first crack at applying tolex. The first times quite intense! don't really know what you are doing and the only experience you have is from watching videos.?

I made some pretty dumb mistakes and didn't realise until I got to the next stage. not the best corners but the bottom ones get covered and never seen. The top ones I will just live with and follow the correct procedure next time. Front corner in pic shows the most obvious mistake, I forgot to clear the layer of tolex under the miter and its sort of raised up.

I went through and squared the corners so I have to make a new square cornered deck. I wasn't happy with the size and position of the slots in the one in the pic so its all good.
 Im only using a wall wart power supply with this so didnt bother with any in/out jacks or power in connectors.

IMG_7225 (1024x664).jpg

IMG_7226 (1024x684).jpg

IMG_7227 (1024x570).jpg

On 3/26/2021 at 8:29 PM, LK155 said:

Well, Jeff, you're describing 'most obvious' mistakes that I, for one, cannot see.

Yeah, camera angle :)

On 3/27/2021 at 1:03 AM, rockabilly69 said:

once again, looks great!

Thanks.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:29 AM, TalismanRich said:

For not knowing what you were doing, you sure did a good job!

Im at my best when I dont know what Im doing. Some of my finest moments were where I didnt know what I was doing, and Ive skated through life on the back of them.

Archived