Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Custom Core H-150's at Sweetwater

Gitfiddler

After years of seeing Heritage struggle with little to no advertising (except here, of course!), I still get a thrill to see the brand promoted by big box retailers like Sweetwater.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H150CCDLB--heritage-custom-core-h-150-dirty-lemon-burst?category=4&utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210309-Gibbonscustommurphy-t1-guitar

What exactly is a light reflective finish? And has anyone on here experienced the Custom Shop 225 Classic humbuckers?

It says that the 225 humbuckers have "near - supernatural PAF - style tone". Seriously what more is there to say? 

I have always thought if I could get more supernatural with my PAF tone then I would feel better about my playing.

I think the light reflecting finish means its super glossy.  Seems a lot of manufactures are getting into the semi-gloss or matte finishes.  

One thing I find curious is the note, "Eye-grabbing premium curly maple top with a redesigned carve" , what does that exactly mean? 

From what I remember, when ownership changed, one subtle change was the deep dish carve of the top went away.

I wonder if this means the deep dish carve is back for this model?

Sort of looks like it...

86a621-~edited_h150ccdlb_angle.jpg.auto.

Around the 0:55 for a few seconds, one can get a view of the top carve.  Does look nice and deep.  Really is a striking instrument.  See one listed at 8lb, 5 oz so nice and light.  Sounds like a Les Paul...  Me thinks a good move on Heritage's part.  Get a light weight, well finished and appointed USA made guitar out there on the GibNash and PRS level that's carried by most all on line outlets.  Hope the core line is successful.  

3 hours ago, y2kc said:

It says that the 225 humbuckers have "near - supernatural PAF - style tone". Seriously what more is there to say? 

I have always thought if I could get more supernatural with my PAF tone then I would feel better about my playing.

Personally, I'd find these Custom Core H-150's to be just about about perfect if they were outfitted with Thobaks instead these unproven "225 Humbuckers"

Who's the top dog over there now anyway? I thought Peter Farmer was handling the custom work but it seems like this custom core model is more of an Edwin Wilson contribution. 

5 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Have any HOC'ers actually played one of the new Custom Core H-150's?

If so what are your thoughts? 

I get the feeling that Green Oak Guitars May have one.

7 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

2 hours ago, Steiner said:

I hear there is a chiseler in South Lyon, MI that may have one.  Rumor is he is trying to sneak it past his wife into his house.  Best to buy now. 

https://www.facebook.com/GreenOakGuitar/

13 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

8 hours ago, Steiner said:

6 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

I hear there is a chiseler in South Lyon, MI that may have one.  Rumor is he is trying to sneak it past his wife into his house.  Best to buy now. 

https://www.facebook.com/GreenOakGuitar/

Thank You to All.

Yes I have played it briefly just to make sure everything is working the way it should.

These guitars are what I would expect from the Custom Shop. Fit and finish is Great. All the MOP appointments are over the top.

This one weighs in at just over 8.0 lbs. As far as the pickups I'm probably the last person to comment on that but Throbakish if that's a thing.

I could go through all the specs but you can read those on the sight. I have received 2 and one was pre-sold. He loves it. I think he is up to 9 Heritage's.

Their goal was to get back to the 50s vibe and I think they got there. Although the 50s vibe is a lot of folklore IMHO.

I'm not much of a player but I think any of you would love this model and make it sound better than I can.

There is a lot of vitriol on the "New Heritage" but I think they are doing it right and slowly getting a foothold and I look forward to the Custom Shop

opening up soon. I've always been a believer of the brand.

Here in the UK, Andertons (home of Lee "The Captain" Anderton) have 21 Heritage guitars in stock, including half a dozen Custom Core H150s, four standard H150s, four H535s, three H530s, a couple of Satndard Eagles and a couple of H575s. How do the prices compare? The Gibbons Les Paul Standards are slightly cheaper than the standard H150s  - £2,199 vs. £2,499 ($3,478 at current rates), but the Custom Core H150s (£3,799 or £4,299 Artisan Aged) are cheaper than the equivalent Custom Shop Les Pauls (from £4,599 to £9,199 for a Murphy Lab 'Ultra Heavy Aged' 1959 Standard).

This will certainly raise Heritage's profile over here.

I think the idea  of using in-house pickups is a great idea.  However, I suspect the custom pickups may be ghost built by someone else.

Pete is the Master Luthier, but he is not the product designer.

While Throbak makes excellent pickups, I think they also don't quite have the relationship with Heritage we think they would have.  I don't think there is much of a price break from retail on those.

Someone on the FB pages bought a new Custom Core and immediately swapped the pickups.  My suspicion is they didn't even attempt to give the pickups a chance.

Of course I'm just speculating.

59 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

I think the idea  of using in-house pickups is a great idea.  However, I suspect the custom pickups may be ghost built by someone else.

Pete is the Master Luthier, but he is not the product designer.

While Throbak makes excellent pickups, I think they also don't quite have the relationship with Heritage we think they would have.  I don't think there is much of a price break from retail on those.

Someone on the FB pages bought a new Custom Core and immediately swapped the pickups.  My suspicion is they didn't even attempt to give the pickups a chance.

Of course I'm just speculating.

Thanks for the input on my previous post!

I'd totally understand the allure of Heritage making their own pickups in house if they were being made with the same machines that were used to make the original PAF's....but that's now Throbak's thing.

What kind of pickups did the person on FB put into their guitar?  It'd sure be funny if they swapped in Throbaks only to find out later that Throbak is indeed the ghost builder! ?

On 3/11/2021 at 11:54 PM, Steiner said:

I checked his online inventory and you be correct!

37 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

I checked his online inventory and you be correct!

I see somebody has shed his post-covid funk.  Welcome back SS!

14 minutes ago, Steiner said:

I see somebody has shed his post-covid funk.  Welcome back SS!

Yeah, thank Steiner. Like an old bear coming out of hibernation. 

I'm considering one of these Custom Core models. A certain retailer has a few with stunning tops. 

Anyone have any experience side by side with a Les Paul R9? Wondering how it would compare to a 60th Anniversary R9 I had.

Archived