Heritage Owners Club

Wood Pickguards...

DetroitBlues

On what model, if any, was a wooden pickguard ever a standard feature?

Was there ever a time in which it was standard on a 535 or 150?

Dislike these Facebook debates, but here I am defending a stance which I’m 99% sure I’m right... but there is always a chance...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There where a lot of models that had a wooden pick guard as a standard feature. The ones I can think of. 

Eagles

Sweet 16        

H-535

H-575

Prospect Deluxe

H-550

H-555

Roy Clark

H-157

DB, my 535 (1996) has a flame maple pickguard, but I don't know for sure if it came from the factory that way.  I suspect so.  The finish is absolutely identical to what's on the body of the guitar, it's bound, and on the back of it it says 'Trans Cherry'.  It also happens to have a rather unique shape to it; I have never seen another Heritage with that exact pickguard shape.  But I have a feeling this guitar is somehow special, as the label has signatures of Jim Deurloo, Bill Paige, Rendal Wall, J.P. Moates, and Marvin Lamb.  I bought this one from an Ebay seller back in 2010, so I don't know much of anything about its history before then. 

HdKBBEa.jpg

46 minutes ago, skydog52 said:

There where a lot of models that had a wooden pick guard as a standard feature. The ones I can think of. 

Eagles

Sweet 16        

H-535

H-575

Prospect Deluxe

H-550

H-555

Roy Clark

H-157

Wait, 535 was stock wooden pickguard?  

I can see the archtops and models with inlaid headstocks.... but a 535?

4 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Wait, 535 was stock wooden pickguard?  

I can see the archtops and models with inlaid headstocks.... but a 535?

https://web.archive.org/web/20080703221354/http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/H535.htm

My 2007 H535, which I bought new, came with a wooden pickguard. The 1998 H575 also has a wooden pickguard, while the H150s all have plastic pickguards. I like the shape of the plastic pickguards - it reminds me of my old '68 Epiphone Riviera, my first American guitar.

Hmm, so maybe only the 140/150 didn't then... Interesting... I'd probably have my pickguard installed if it was wood.  Instead, its a crudely cut single ply that resides in the case and was never installed on the guitar.

10 hours ago, skydog52 said:

Thanks Paul.  I guess I was wrong about the 535... Thankfully, the argument was only on 150's. 

31 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Hmm, so maybe only the 140/150 didn't then... Interesting... I'd probably have my pickguard installed if it was wood.  Instead, its a crudely cut single ply that resides in the case and was never installed on the guitar.

Thanks Paul.  I guess I was wrong about the 535... Thankfully, the argument was only on 150's. 

I always ordered my guitars with the pick guard not mounted. That way I could decide if and when I wanted to mount it.

Here is an old catalog that has specs on models. Most include wooden pickguards.

I remember trips to the shop and just looking at pick guards from the rack of many they had.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070623101616/http://www.heritageguitar.com/Heritage 2005 Catalog.pdf

Speaking of wood pickguards...I spotted my very first Heritage guitar over 15 years ago while surfing Gbase. 

I had never seen such a beautiful semi-hollow, and it included a wood pickguard!!  Whoa! 

No other builder was offering a bound Maple pickguard on that body style. 

Resistance was futile and I immediately called Wolfe's Guitars and worked out the purchase of that H-555. 

Here is part of that ad:

heritageh555featuresuy4.jpg

Not sure if it was standard but my 1986 Blue H-140CM has a nice blue wooden CM pick guard.

I kind of like the fact that you have to look close to tell mine is wood. It somehow retains the traditional look with Antique Natural.

I remember when I had looked at guitars years before I bought this one thinking the wood pick guards made the Heritage guitars different and instantly recognizable - more than the different headstock for me anyway.

gallery_1137_133_225513.jpg

gallery_1137_133_435336.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived