Heritage Owners Club

Wood Pickguards...

DetroitBlues

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My H-537 came with a cream plastic pick guard.  I sent Arnie over at Embers Guitar Station the pick guard and he going to make me a maple one and finish it in translucent orange to match the guitar. 

20 hours ago, skydog52 said:

My H-537 came with a cream plastic pick guard.  I sent Arnie over at Embers Guitar Station the pick guard and he going to make me a maple one and finish it in translucent orange to match the guitar. 

Paul, is this our "former Heritage Arnie"?

29 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

Paul, is this our "former Heritage Arnie"?

Yes it is Will. He opened up a shop in Plainwell.

He only has a Facebook page now. He is doing well and I'm happy for Him. Great Guy!

https://www.facebook.com/Embers-Guitar-Repair-Station-105449141315294/

27 minutes ago, skydog52 said:

Yes it is Will. He opened up a shop in Plainwell.

He only has a Facebook page now. He is doing well and I'm happy for Him. Great Guy!

https://www.facebook.com/Embers-Guitar-Repair-Station-105449141315294/

Thanks Paul! I am happy for him too. He is indeed a super guy and very talented builder. 

4 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

PLAZA INTRODUCED PLASTIC AS STANDARD MATERIAL PICKGUARDS

Thus pre-plaza with wood pickguards will now and forever be "vintage" Heritage.

On 5/11/2021 at 2:11 PM, skydog52 said:

How many 357's are you stock-piling???

On 5/12/2021 at 12:49 PM, Millennium Maestro said:

If only I had worked with a reputable dealer, my transition era 535 wouldn't have come with such hideous chunk of scrap plastic. :laugh_mini: 

On 5/12/2021 at 12:49 PM, Millennium Maestro said:

Does that make my 87 H-140 a Plaza era guitar?  It's got a plastic guard.   I think the 535 does as well.   The only wood pickguard is my H-157, which got a crack in it about 3 weeks ago!  ?

22 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

Does that make my 87 H-140 a Plaza era guitar?  It's got a plastic guard.   I think the 535 does as well.   The only wood pickguard is my H-157, which got a crack in it about 3 weeks ago!  ?

Silly! They had plastic on pre Plaza too... but many times they delivered standard Flamed maple Pick Guards especially on the dressed up builds, Plaza started  experimenting before standardizing the models to plastic.

My OLD 2000ish catalog shows plastic on 140s, 150s, 516s, and Prospects.  

I have a couple wood finger rests here.  One from a 555 and one from a 535.  They appear to have the same distance between the pickups.  I should see if they fit the 150 before selling them.

most of the semi hollow and hollowbody lineups had matching wooden pickguards as a standard for a long time, i think until sometime in the mid 200's but i'm not entirely certain what year(s)
my '94 550 and '87 535 both have matching wooden pickguards

most of the semi hollow and hollowbody lineups had matching wooden pickguards as a standard for a long time, i think until sometime in the mid 200's but i'm not entirely certain what year(s)
my '94 550 and '87 535 both have matching wooden pickguards

535.jpg

550.jpg

1 hour ago, Millennium Maestro said:

and a limited edition number. 

I don't know about the serial numbers, could you elaborate?

1 hour ago, motoputz said:

I don't know about the serial numbers, could you elaborate?

Floyd Newton, painter for Gibbons, and then for Heritage, consecutively numbered the H150 Deluxe guitars (in addition to other special models) - you should see a number on the back of the headstock in addition to the serial number - the serial number should be a letter (or letters) plus 5 digits, but for the deluxe model he added a running total of how many were made... I have a W Serial (2006), and the deluxe number 235. Also, this would be written on the label in the control cavity.

On 5/24/2021 at 1:58 PM, SouthernCanuck said:

Floyd Newton, painter for Gibbons, and then for Heritage, consecutively numbered the H150 Deluxe guitars (in addition to other special models) - you should see a number on the back of the headstock in addition to the serial number - the serial number should be a letter (or letters) plus 5 digits, but for the deluxe model he added a running total of how many were made... I have a W Serial (2006), and the deluxe number 235. Also, this would be written on the label in the control cavity.

Interestingly my H150 has a J and 5 digits only. The label on the control cavity cover has written "H150 CM VSB" no extra numbers? The switch cover has no label.

The guitar has a maple pick guard with a bound maple veneer head stock?

7 hours ago, motoputz said:

Interestingly my H150 has a J and 5 digits only. The label on the control cavity cover has written "H150 CM VSB" no extra numbers? The switch cover has no label.

The guitar has a maple pick guard with a bound maple veneer head stock?

I'm not sure what the standard features were for a H150 in 1993, but it does not sound like yours is a H150 "Deluxe". One prominent feature of the Deluxe was the scarf/belly cut.

well darn it, I was lied to by the p.o. then! I was told it was a deluxe? oh well, since I don't know jack that's what I get. I didn't pay a bunch for it so it makes no difference to me if it's a deluxe or not. It plays great, looks cool and feels awesome, but, heavy as all get out, 9lbs+ on my scale. it has no belly cut either

thanks for the info southerncanuck

Archived