Heritage Owners Club

H-357 or Marvbirds POST AWAY!!

Heritage1970

On 4/3/2021 at 12:30 PM, Millennium Maestro said:

Why am I always the shortest Guy in HOC pictures?

Because you're short.  But its a blessing.  You can buy a compact car and it feels like what a full size car is to us.  Plus you save money on clothes because the rest of us buy our clothes in the men's section. 

On a side note, you should avoid OshKosh B'gosh clothes.  The rubber duckies and baby lambs give it away.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Because you're short.  But its a blessing.  You can buy a compact car and it feels like what a full size car is to us.  Plus you save money on clothes because the rest of us buy our clothes in the men's section. 

On a side note, you should avoid OshKosh B'gosh clothes.  The rubber duckies and baby lambs give it away.

You'll pay for them words...

I just found this pic.  Here is me with my pre-Marvbird.  Marv may have well built this.

I'm guessing it's a 1968-69 build that my neighbor got used.  He gave up on the guitar and I got it.

It had a high action and heavy flatwounds on it.  I didn't know anything about that stuff, but my fingers hurt yet I kept going.  The guitar was plugged into a Kalamazoo Model 2 amp.  There are song books, records and a record player on the bed.  Yes, I was jamming with the Beatles.

My guitar teacher on day told me I could lower the action if I wanted.  Some guy in his music store did that for me.  It was a breakthrough. 

51127327853_8d10752603_c.jpg

2 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

I just found this pic.  Here is me with my pre-Marvbird.  Marv may have well built this.

I'm guessing it's a 1968-69 build that my neighbor got used.  He gave up on the guitar and I got it.

It had a high action and heavy flatwounds on it.  I didn't know anything about that stuff, but my fingers hurt yet I kept going.  The guitar was plugged into a Kalamazoo Model 2 amp.  There are song books, records and a record player on the bed.  Yes, I was jamming with the Beatles.

My guitar teacher on day told me I could lower the action if I wanted.  Some guy in his music store did that for me.  It was a breakthrough. 

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

Still have it?

Here are a few in process shots of my 357.

I've told this story before, and I'll tell it again. It was the first one (of two?) with a wooden pick guard. Marv and I were going back and forth on the specs and I asked him if he could do a wood pick guard because it would look so much better than a big piece of plastic on that beautiful guitar. Marv agreed to try a prototype and called me a week or so later and after making a few prototypes, he decided he could make a wood guard work.

We then moved on to the color. It's a korina build and as beautiful a natural korina finish looks, I didn't want a natural finish.  I also didn't want an opaque finish. So , we talked finishes....a lot.  I told Marv I loved the orange finish he did for Frankie Ballard and he said he thought he could get that color on a korina build. He indicated that korina has a bit of a green tint in it's raw state and he would have to try a few different shots of color on a few different pieces of wood to get orange. 

Well a week or so later he sent me (actually Ren sent me) a picture of what he thought was a good orange color.

I called him and we talked for a while and he said out of the blue "You shouldn't have to decide on the color from a picture, let me send you the piece I sprayed so you can see it in person."

Two days later I received a Fedex package with the korina orange sample Marv shot. It was perfect and I called him and told him so. He laughed and said " I just hope I can remember the mix I used, you know I don't write any of these down"

In a panic, I told him him I would send half of the sample back as a reference, I wanted to keep the other half as case candy, and he agreed.

We had a lot of conversations over the course of the 357 build and the build of my 150, which is a story for another day.

j5K28NR.jpg

7nPcBgk.jpg

This is the color sample Marv sent.

tOGUCIT.jpg

10 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

You'll have to reach me first.

SorrowfulPossibleArmyant-max-1mb.gif

Whoa!  I'm Officially selling tickets to this year's Pre-PSP.  Get 'em while their hot!

32 minutes ago, DavesNotHere said:

Here are a few in process shots of my 357.

I've told this story before, and I'll tell it again. It was the first one (of two?) with a wooden pick guard. Marv and I were going back and forth on the specs and I asked him if he could do a wood pick guard because it would look so much better than a big piece of plastic on that beautiful guitar. Marv agreed to try a prototype and called me a week or so later and after making a few prototypes, he decided he could make a wood guard work.

We then moved on to the color. It's a korina build and as beautiful a natural korina finish looks, I didn't want a natural finish.  I also didn't want an opaque finish. So , we talked finishes....a lot.  I told Marv I loved the orange finish he did for Frankie Ballard and he said he thought he could get that color on a korina build. He indicated that korina has a bit of a green tint in it's raw state and he would have to try a few different shots of color on a few different pieces of wood to get orange. 

Well a week or so later he sent me (actually Ren sent me) a picture of what he thought was a good orange color.

I called him and we talked for a while and he said out of the blue "You shouldn't have to decide on the color from a picture, let me send you the piece I sprayed so you can see it in person."

Two days later I received a Fedex package with the korina orange sample Marv shot. It was perfect and I called him and told him so. He laughed and said " I just hope I can remember the mix I used, you know I don't write any of these down"

In a panic, I told him him I would send half of the sample back as a reference, I wanted to keep the other half as case candy, and he agreed.

We had a lot of conversations over the course of the 357 build and the build of my 150, which is a story for another day.

j5K28NR.jpg

7nPcBgk.jpg

This is the color sample Marv sent.

tOGUCIT.jpg

Great pictures and great story! Thanks for posting. I love that color! 

Archived