Heritage Owners Club

Rivera Pubster 25 Needs new 10 Inch Speaker. Suggestions?

Well, this would be why my Pubster 25 sounds off, I picked it up used, and never noticed this until now. This WAS a legend 1058 by Eminence. Now I can see that something got on the speaker at some point, and also there's a dent in the side of the frame, and overall I think the frame is kaput. Good speaker, but now that I need a new one, I wanted to think about options. Any suggestions for a good 10 inch speaker? I could just get another Legend 1058, or maybe something Alnico like the Eminence Legend 1028K.

I'm having not much luck finding out what the stock speakers were in these. Looks like Rivera used several.

167010089_10159730264343923_8768257654770229991_n.jpg

My first choice would be the Legend 1058, but if you're looking for a similar high head room speaker, try a Emi Ragin Cajun (75Watts) or Weber 10F150T (50Watt).

I have used each of these in my Princeton and Rivera-era Super Champ and they sound great.  My all time favorite is the EV10, but they're rare and high priced...and heavy.

40 minutes ago, pressure said:

Put Elmer's glue on the crack and the speaker will be like new.

Unfortunately, it's not a crack. It's hard to see but that whole area of the cone is wrinkled, and something dripped on it at one point, glue maybe? It is doing really weird things when I start putting any real volume through it. I hooked it up to another cab, so it's definitely the speaker. Also I have confirmed that the frame is not entirely round anymore. It looks like someone dropped it before it was mounted.

37 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

My first choice would be the Legend 1058, but if you're looking for a similar high head room speaker, try a Emi Ragin Cajun (75Watts) or Weber 10F150T (50Watt).

I have used each of these in my Princeton and Rivera-era Super Champ and they sound great.  My all time favorite is the EV10, but they're rare and high priced...and heavy.

The 1058 IS a solid choice. It's a shame this one was treated like this. I was looking at the 1028K mainly because there are so many comparisons with the 1058. Seems like the alnico speaker will have a bit more chime to it and high end.

I have heard Paul Rivera said that the EV 10 is the best speaker ever for a Princeton. This is one of the reasons he went with the EV style EM12 for the Stage IV that just came out.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

The 1058 IS a solid choice. It's a shame this one was treated like this. I was looking at the 1028K mainly because there are so many comparisons with the 1058. Seems like the alnico speaker will have a bit more chime to it and high end.

I have heard Paul Rivera said that the EV 10 is the best speaker ever for a Princeton. This is one of the reasons he went with the EV style EM12 for the Stage IV that just came out.

I agree with Mr. Rivera.  Years ago I scored an EV10 from an EV fanatic over on TGP.  It is currently in my '68 Princeton (non-reverb).  It sounds amazing!

I'm really happy with a Warehouse Guitar Speaker in my Rivera Champ II.

https://wgsusa.com/comment/1141

Since Vaughn at Warehouse Guitar Speakers put a WGS G10A in his Rivera Champ II, I thought I’d give it a try.

I really like the upgrade. Bigger and cleaner than the stock speaker for sure.

He also likes it in a Princeton as well.

https://wgsusa.com/blog/best-replacement-speaker-fender-68-custom-princeton-reverb

I've been reading, listening, etc all morning. Finding an EV10 would probably take so much time and cost enough that it would be more than I paid for the combo.

I think I've got it down to the Legend 1058, which just seems to be an incredible speaker that sounds good, and the Ragin Cajun.  So I need to decide If I want more "warm" with the 1058, or more "Crisp" with the Cajun.

The Pubster 25 has a boost channel that can get pretty nasty, so it definitely needs to be a speaker that works well with overdrive. I'm hearing a bit too much in the highs with the Cajun. I kinda wish I could find more ROCK demos with the Cajun.

Excellent choice, Tbone.

I scored my Legend from HOC'er, Yoslate.  It was already broken-in by one of his speaker gurus when he sold it to me.  It is one of the best 10" speakers for clean and overdriven tones.  Give your new 1058 adequate break-in and you will be a happy camper.

7 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Excellent choice, Tbone.

I scored my Legend from HOC'er, Yoslate.  It was already broken-in by one of his speaker gurus when he sold it to me.  It is one of the best 10" speakers for clean and overdriven tones.  Give your new 1058 adequate break-in and you will be a happy camper.

I'm probably going to try playing music through it for a bit to help get it breaking in. Van halen should work well.

16 hours ago, loudtubeamps said:

If you can find one. Celestion G10S- 50 is amazing.

First hand experience here. I build custom amps and if it’s a 10 going into the build....I’ll wait until I acquire one.

I had heard about that speaker. It always confuses me when there is a speaker that everyone seems to want, but for some reason Celestion has decided not to make it anymore.

My big thing now is going to be breaking in some new speakers I got, which is always a bit of a mysterious process.

Got the new speaker in, and it's all installed now, and the Pubster put back together. Great little amp. I now have a bunch of speakers that need to break in. Gonna need to play a bunch of jazz standards with the bass and mids turned up.

Archived