Heritage Owners Club

Normal Finish Vs Artisan Aged

29er

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, JeffB said:

I was a young man when I started here. Now Im not. What happened? I want my money back!

Detroitblues handles refunds. 

• 1 month later...

I have had numerous Heritage models. Big fan. I am not a relic guy in that I like relics over standard finishes. I have only one guitar that falls into the "relic", if you will, column. it is a Nash tele I bought new about 12 years ago. Aside from just being a very nice guitar to play, the one aspect of it that also stands out is that I have absolutely no concerns about where I set it, what watch or other items I have on that might scratch it. There is a great liberation to playing a guitar for which scuffs or marks or scratches have no concern. Sure, all guitars will naturally "relic" over decades, but some of those naturally relic guitars simply look unpleasant in the scratches, etc. 

I would by an Artisan relic in a heartbeat as I know it would likely play and sound great, being a Heritage, and I would, like my Nash, enjoy the liberation new guitar scuffs, scratches, etc.  I get anyone that doesn't like the relic thing. But, I don't see it as trying to be inauthentic in that it is fooling anyone into thinking it is 40 years old. I simply see it as an optional finish. Nothing more. Some like matte, some like shiny, some like oil, it's just another aesthetic option that also, if it matters to you, frees you from concerns over that super careful new guitar ugly scratch concern.

No one is fooling anyone with the finish. It is a look, that's all. Like all things related to aesthetics, what you like and don't like is subjective to your tastes. I like the looks of my unreliced guitars and I happen to like the look of the Heritage finish that they called "aged". No one thinks the aging is from age.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:28 AM, skydog52 said:

I've worked in the trades my whole life. Estwing's are special hammers for sure! Especially the leather handled ones.

Off topic I know.

Ok, cannot let this one slide (yes, off topic ?)

This is my Grandfathers Estwing.  He passed in the 1970's and was a general contractor in the 1930's in New Jersey.  My kid, when he moved out of the nest recently, could not understand why I gave him the "new" hammer from Home Depot and kept the "old beat up" one...  I still remember riding around in the back of Grampa Sam's baby-blue Ford Falcon pickup in the late 60's (in the bed, without a seatbelt - the horror!  Hell, without a seat, lol) along with his tools while we drove to the local market for a pack of Lucky Strikes.  Good times!  NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.

estwing.jpg

Archived