Heritage Owners Club

Let’s see those class of 59’s

big bob

15 hours ago, AP515 said:

I didn't think they had Zebras in 59.  I thought it was 61.

Ed Roman, like other dealers, ordered custom upgrades from Heritage around 2003-2004'ish.  He was quite an interesting character.  Some loved him and his ideas.  Others disliked him.  He was extremely opinionated, and wanted Heritage (and other guitar makers) to build or customize guitars as he suggested.  With Heritage Roman came up with the so-called "Class of 59" as a marketing gimmick.  The guitars had a wide variety of beautiful maple tops, light weight mahogany or limba/korina bodies/necks, SD Pickups and more as shown in the group photo.

I knew of Ed Roman just before he died.  I would just think that if your marketing gimmick is a "59" build, why put "61" era pickups in it?  They are nice 150's though.

In truth this model deviates so many ways from 59 LP's.  I believe the name was more of In the  "Class" of the 59 (a top end guitar)...  I personally think creating a reissue was nowhere in his mindset... Charging premium for premium features was!

Korina, High output duncans, 3 piece necks, premium woods, bound and inlaid headstocks are all high end upgrades. As was his asking prices!

10 minutes ago, Millennium Maestro said:

In truth this model deviates so many ways from 59 LP's.  I believe the name was more of In the  "Class" of the 59 (a top end guitar)...  I personally think creating a reissue was nowhere in his mindset... Charging premium for premium features was!

Korina, High output duncans, 3 piece necks, premium woods, bound and inlaid headstocks are all high end upgrades. As was his asking prices!

This!

Say what you want about Ed Roman, but he's the one that opened my eyes to Heritage guitars.  That was back about 2004, and he was very pro-Heritage at the time.  On a business trip to Vegas that year I sought out his shop and spent a very enjoyable couple of hours trying out some of his premium axes.  There were a number of stunning hand-made guitars there, some with insane fretboards, up in the $7K price range.  I wasn't too comfortable actually touching any of those really high-end ones, but I did take some photos (below).  

A bit later that year an H155 came up on consignment at a Toronto shop (The Twelfth Fret).  I drove into the big city to see it, and immediately bought it.  I certainly didn't know much about guitars at the time, but it was easy to recognize quality.  Still have that Millie, and a couple of others too.

HtZY0rd.jpg?1

U4gxkdU.jpg?1

WyNeEAx.jpg?1

GMyGZap.jpg?1

Archived