Heritage Owners Club

NAD: Rivera Stage IV Combo - The Ultimate Modded Deluxe Reverb

I was just about to put a Stage IV on order, and begin the weight. Never got that far, because I noticed a “Demo” model for 200 off, with some small tear in the Rolex. So here it is, in my Rivera “Stack”. I took a picture of the tolex issue, which I later glued down so it doesn’t spread. This really is the ULTIMATE incarnation of a Fender Deluxe Reverb. It does EVERYTHING that a Deluxe does, and then goes so far beyond it. It's the original Rivera modded deluxe, but has none of the "downsides" that a modded deluxe would have.

- True Channel Switching

- Reverb and Tremolo available on BOTH channels. Tremolo is a true optical tremolo

- Presence control for the power amp

- Active effects loop

- Both channels have a full TMB tone stack, with Pull NOTCH on the Mids, and Pull Bright on the Treble. The NOTCH switch moves the mid control notch from 550hz (TWEED era) to 250hz (BLACKFACE era)

- Lead channel has a Master Volume, as well as a 6 position FAT switch, which helps add definition to the higher strings without adding excessive bass. It's hard to describe, but it's awesome. There's also a BOOST mode for the lead channel that adds more hair.

The amplifier is definitely a bit heavy at 51lbs. They did build in caster sockets in the bottom, if you wanted to add them. It's got an Eminence EM12 speaker, which is based on the EV 12 speakers of the good old days, which means the baffle has to be super strong to handle that 80oz magnet, and the speaker itself adds a bunch as well. It sounds great. It's got INCREDIBLE cleans. It's also the first Rivera amp with a tube rectifier, so it's got a nice amount of bounce as well. Lead channel gets pretty raunchy, and if you ever wanted to sound like the late 70s to mid 80s LA session guys, this will get you there. I think Paul Rivera Jr. said this amp makes you sound like the music your father likes.

I don't know how long they are making these for, so I definitely wanted to scoop one up. Now I have to decide if the R55-12 still has a purpose in the herd.

172517874_10159759587568923_4371863191344952908_n.jpg

173042438_10159759587583923_8242537406531287709_n.jpg

172560426_10159759587658923_3004436010155531223_n.jpg

46 minutes ago, Yooper said:

Sweet set of Riveras.

Mine is the ultimate incarnation of a Champ.

NICE! I have heard that the Pubster 25 (The one on top in my pictures) is based on the Rivera Era Champ II / Super Champs. It's a bit of a strange setup, and it pretty much has a built in booster as well as reverb.  It currently needs some work though, as something weird is going on with the reverb, and it cuts in and out randomly. Hopefully just a dirty contact or the tank itself.

21 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Whoa!  TBone, you've hit the Rivera amp mother-load!  Awesome collection.  The Stage IV has to be one of the most versatile 25 watt amps available.  Enjoy that bad boy. 

It really is. The FAT switch alone just gives so many tonal possibilities. They really designed it to work with just about any type of guitar, to get so many different sounds. Sure it's not a high gain beast, but it's a rock machine.

32 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Whoa! Nice collection of Rivera's !

Congrats on the new amp. Nice set of usable  features for sure.

I may have developed an addiction.  Though this will probably be it. A lot of their other combos seem to be really specialized for specific purposes. They do have some heads but most are really high gain, and I've already got that covered with Boogies.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, the amplifier came with all Electro-Harmonics 12AX7EH preamp tubes, an Electro Harmonix 5U4GB rectifier, and Shuguang 6V6 power tubes. Rivera feels they are the best 6v6 tube offering on the market in terms of vintage tone.

I just had a good hour long playing session with it, and used the footswitch for the first time. It is Channel, Lead Boost, and Tremolo on the F/S. It's also got a dual color LED on the channel select, so it is green for clean and red for lead. Never had a footswitch like that before. Usually it's just no light clean, light lead.

Archived