Heritage Owners Club

Chicken head knob removal advice needed

ElNumero

I have a 20+ year old Peavey Classic 50, wonderful clean amp, sounds great still after all these years. However, when I turn the channel volume control the amp cracks and cuts in and out. If I find a position where it is working I leave it there, however if I adjust it, the amp will cut out almost entirely. I suspect it needs a good spraying. Which leads me to this question: how to safely lift and remove the chicken head knob to get into the shaft. There is no set screw, but that baby is on there tight! I just do not want to damage the faceplate or the shaft prying it off incorrectly. 

Try working the amp's knob high to low, multiple times.  Generally, the sealed pots have a lifetime of dielectric grease.  You just need to work the knob to redistribute the grease.

2 minutes ago, Steiner said:

Try working the amp's knob high to low, multiple times.  Generally, the sealed pots have a lifetime of dielectric grease.  You just need to work the knob to redistribute the grease.

I did do that a bit, but perhaps not enough. I'll work that knob back and forth until it screams for me to stop!

By the way, ever heard Mike Campbell's band, The Dirty Knobs?

What Steiner said.

Though you still fell compelled to remove the knob; I usually take a microfiber cloth, or some other thin cloth like material, slide it under the knob, then sort of wrap and use the towel to pull it off. If not enough clearance for that, a piece of yarn/string would be my backup plan.  

My parting note - if it's not a totally sealed pot, then usually you can work in some deoxit stuff from the backside around where the wiring terminal lugs reside. (disclaimer: make sure amp is off and caps are discharged). 

2 hours ago, kbp810 said:

What Steiner said.

Though you still fell compelled to remove the knob; I usually take a microfiber cloth, or some other thin cloth like material, slide it under the knob, then sort of wrap and use the towel to pull it off. If not enough clearance for that, a piece of yarn/string would be my backup plan.  

My parting note - if it's not a totally sealed pot, then usually you can work in some deoxit stuff from the backside around where the wiring terminal lugs reside. (disclaimer: make sure amp is off and caps are discharged). 

Spot on Brian.  Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Spraying from the back of the pots definitely does get much better coverage of the wiper and conductor.

They do make adapters that help the spray get into the pot better. It pretty much screws onto the pot and has a hole where you plug in the plastic tube.

Also, make sure the pot shafts are pointing upward if you are spraying the shaft end. Gravity does help.

34 minutes ago, bolero said:

Cut it off with an axe & let the amp run around uncontrollably for a while

Sometimes, the easiest solutions are the best...

On 4/26/2021 at 7:23 PM, bolero said:

Cut it off with an axe & let the amp run around uncontrollably for a while

I don't understand...........................is this a Canadien thang?

On 4/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, Steiner said:

Sometimes, the easiest solutions are the best...

I think I will stick with your solution. 

On 4/28/2021 at 9:38 AM, ElNumero said:

I don't understand...........................is this a Canadien thang?

no, more of a rural/farm joke....if anyone has ever cut the head off a chicken, with an axe, you might get it ;)

1 hour ago, bolero said:

no, more of a rural/farm joke....if anyone has ever cut the head off a chicken, with an axe, you might get it ;)

An awesome crack, even if I do say so.

+1

On 4/30/2021 at 7:42 PM, Steiner said:

An awesome crack, even if I do say so.

+1

Some crack is awesome, other crack is not!

I'll be!  Will, as many chickens as you have choked I figured you had that down. 

Archived