Heritage Owners Club

Help to date Heritage which literally inherited from my big brother (h-157 probably)

Umut

Dear Friends,

My big brother, a talented amateur guitarist has lost his battle with a brain tumour and passed away a month ago. He was the reason I started learning guitar at the age of 30. I have got a guitar which inherited from him, a heritage as you can see.

From what I recall, he had bought it in Turkey (second hand) back in time when we lived together, probably circa 2006. Don't know the model, brought the guitar to the Netherlands with me. I'd really like to learn the model, it looks exactly like a h-157. I've been more of and Ibanez and Fender guy over the years, but this guitar has a beautiful fell and sound to it. Couldn't date it because the serial number, as you can see, been disappeared over the time. Is there a way to date it?

Thanks in advance,

Stay in peace 

output-onlinejpgtools (4).jpg

output-onlinejpgtools (1).jpg

output-onlinejpgtools (2).jpg

Look in the control cavity and see if there is a date code.  The top photo looks fishy to me.  It seems the date code is badly covered over digitally. 

Look in the control cavity and see if there is a date code.  The top photo looks fishy to me.  It seems the date code is badly covered over digitally. 

Nope sir, the photos are all natural. I do not intend to cover anything, odd but that's the way it's been rubbed out (if that's the correct word) over time. I opened up the control cavity's cover and it turned out to be the h-147 not 157. But no date or serial number.

Any idea about the production years of this model? I wonder which humbuckers it has, and have the tuners been replaced (schaller- west germany)?

IMG_20210425_121053 (1).jpg

That's a very early H-147.  Those are Schallers, and very likely from West Germany considering that the guitar was almost certainly made before the Berlin Wall came down!

That guitar will be a joy for you to play the rest of your life.  Schallers are excellent pickups.  You'll appreciate the lightness of the instrument in another 40 years.  Your brother's spirit will be with as you play.

2 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

That's a very early H-147.  Those are Schallers, and very likely from West Germany considering that the guitar was almost certainly made before the Berlin Wall came down!

That guitar will be a joy for you to play the rest of your life.  Schallers are excellent pickups.  You'll appreciate the lightness of the instrument in another 40 years.  Your brother's spirit will be with as you play.

Appreciate your description and good thoughts. 

Indeed, Schallers. On the back of the tuning pegs its written (Schaller made in W. Germany). So I assume tuning pegs and humbuckers are both Schallers. Are they original in the manufacture of early h-147s? The guitar must be as old as me (1987). Marvellous to have it. 

Your comment made me emotional again. I'd thought the same, his spirit is in that guitar. I'll care about it all my life and one day play with it in live performances as once my brother did. 

Schaller hardware was standard for most Heritages in the early years.   Schaller has ceased making some parts, which means that Heritage has moved to other supplies,  Seymour Duncan and TonePros are the current suppliers.   For example, my 2003 H-157 has Schaller pickups and bridge/tailpiece but Grover tuners.    It seems that the knobs on yours have been changed.

The H-147 was in the early Heritage catalogs, but was gone by 1993.    You can find it in this 1989 catalog.  

I have an H140 and they are really great guitars.   Enjoy it, and play it proudly. 

Looking at that old catalogue makes me realize that Heritage sure had a lot of models back in the day!

Umut I am very sorry to hear about your brother. I lost a former band mate to brain cancer not long ago, it was a terrible tragedy. Condolences. I guess we all have it coming, at some point.

What a gesture, to leave you his guitar. I hope it brings good memories every time you play it. What a beautiful instrument, Congratulations!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived