Heritage Owners Club

OGD: H-150LW 25th Anni returns

MartyGrass

This is a bittersweet incoming.  Old Guitar Day.

The back story is that long ago I got a H-170 2nd generation goldtop new from a shop in New York.  It was gorgeous with a 59 neck but felt very light.  It turned out that it was weight relieved.  The Heritage dealer did not know.  I believe Punk Kitty had that one for a while.  I got a H-150 from Jimmy Wallace a few years after that.  Again, it was weight relieved but they didn't know it.  I kept that for about a year then sold it.  I got another one, and that was no surprise.  That came from Patrick, who was a Heritage distributor for New York.  It was a demo guitar.  Eventually I sold that to a forum member.  Then I got this 25th Anniversary H-150LW VSB.  Once again, the seller didn't know it was weight relieved.  That was an awesome instrument that I kept for a few years then traded to Bob Lafond (RhoadsScholar) in 2017.  I expected he'd trade it back to me at some point since that's how things worked out with me and him.

Bob died last year with COVID.  In a week it will be a full year.  That was a shock.  I had some of his guitars in my house and vice versa.  Bob's son Jason and I sorted that out a few months after he passed.  Today Jason told me the memorial service will be in June and there'll be a band.  I asked Jason about the H-150.  I'll be getting that back it looks like.

I've had now a lot of experience with solid and lightweight H-150s.  They sound slightly different and I enjoy them both.  This LW is the most beautiful one I've touched.

Here's Bob NGD.  He posted my pics for it, but I'm no longer on Photobucket (went to Flickr) for the pics on his posts aren't as clear as they once were.  But it's a trip down memory lane.

Bob was a true gentleman and a fine human being.  I don't say that often.

I recall that old NGD thread.  Bob seemed more happy with that 25th Anniversary LW than many of his other exceptional Heritage guitars. 

May he rest in peace.

And thank you for all that you've done on his behalf, Mark.  You are a class act.

That is a stunning guitar!  Bob was a first class human being and he owned some of the best Heritage had to offer. Mark and Bob were close friends who exchanged guitars regularly on sort of a lend/lease program. It's hard to believe he's gone.  RIP Bob.

Bob is missed. I had talked to him shortly before he passed. Of course we talked about guitars and the Allman Brothers. He and his son's went and saw the Brothers 50th anniversary tribute in New York in 2020. He was very pumped up about it.

He loved all of his guitars and especially his Heritage models he owned. RIP Brother.

SD52, he was a true friend of yours.  He often brought you up.  He liked your taste in guitars, to put it mildly.

If he had his way, he'd be in the jazz program at Wayne State University.  That started out as a "crazy dream" that looked very possible when death so ruthlessly claimed his life.  He had the time and money worked out.  Then poof.  So sad.

https://music.wayne.edu/jazz-studies/index.php

Archived