Heritage Owners Club

Thinking about replacing HRW's in a 535. Any Suggestions?

jmac

Throbak, Sheptone, Wolfetone, Duncan Seth Lovers, Duncan Antiquities, there are many others. You can get just about any of them wound with 4 conductor leads to use the coil splits.

PK offered some great alternatives.  However, before you rip out the HRW's try rolling down the volume slightly on both pickups.  I have HRW's in my H555 and that warmed them up substantially.  That said, my H535 has Seths and they sound killer at any volume. 

Gitfiddler/PK, thanks for the suggestions.  I"ll try rolling back the volume.  I was really not looking forward to dealing with the split coil wiring if I made a pick up change.

I agree with Gitfiddler about rolling off the volume as a try.  Another alternative is P-Rails.  I've done this to two Heritages.  This gives you a wide spectrum of sounds.

PunkKitty is right.  There are lots of choices.  Consider the Unbucker if you really want to split the coils.

51121858258_fe359ea500_o.jpg

51149498216_0d85e2cd3c_c.jpg

4 minutes ago, jmac said:

Gitfiddler/PK, thanks for the suggestions.  I"ll try rolling back the volume.  I was really not looking forward to dealing with the split coil wiring if I made a pick up change.

If you're not going to split the coils, SD 59s are great.  Seth Lovers are nice, too much there are microphonics to contend with along with all the nice tone.

I have a suggestion....Trade the HRWs for the Seth Lovers I have in my 535. I like a little brighter pup on a 535.

BTW, I have an H-576 and put a pair of Dimarzio Anniversary PAFs in it and it is flat out wonderful. I think he designed them as copies of the old Seth Lovers from the 50s and I can't tell a difference between them and the Seth Lovers on my 535. of course I would probably have to swap them out in order to truly tell the difference. i will just say that they are both really nice smooth PAFs.

I am serious about trading the Seth's for the HRWs. NOt straight across as I would add some cash to the deal. Message me if you want to work it out. Of course, I would want the toggle switch cover with the black dot!

Archived