Heritage Owners Club

NGD: Eagle has landed again

MartyGrass

This one is not everyone's taste.  I'd say it's not a lot of people's taste at all.

Five or six years ago I picked up a quilted American Eagle.  It's a long story.  The gist of it is that someone in the music industry got it in 1992.  Soon thereafter he died.  His son, a folk player, ended up with it, didn't like archtops, and I got it.  I eventually traded it for a very nice Heritage archtop that was made for the Heritage sales rep for New York.

I'll show you those pics first.

51160761583_af4894be4d_c.jpg

51161629025_1de97882a9_c.jpg

51160519851_1820e99482_c.jpg

51160519831_10f1878ff1_c.jpg

51160519826_33d5e8cbed_c.jpg

51161628995_bca57d3e7c_c.jpg

51159859327_008a8b925a_c.jpg

51159859322_f61882a6cb_c.jpg

51160761533_162dd4663b_c.jpg

51160766903_912028b914_c.jpg

So I'm older now and crazier.  In the meantime I was able to talk with the lady who did the inlays and engraving, Maudie Moore.  I had also talked with Marv Lamb and Pete Moreno about this model.  Lastly, Aaron Cowles gave his side a few years earlier.

The model was made to honor America at a low point.  The Iran hostage crisis was only a few years in the rear view mirror.  The Challenger crashed.  The economy was difficult.  This guitar was designed with tons of Americana on it.

I believe there were 25 made.  Marv told me there were about 100 hours spent building each one, so it wasn't profitable.  But the first one I got was really well made with great woods.

The Heritage sales rep for New York, some of you may remember Patrick, hated the design but checked out the guitar since it was in his area and made the transaction for me.  Two weeks later he dropped it off on one of his trips to the Heritage factory.  The bottom two pics are ones he took in his back yard before he brought it to me.  He changed his mind about it in those two weeks.

I kept it for a few years on my wall and eventually found it charming.

Now it's gone.  But there has been another one for sale at a Heritage dealer for a few years off and on.  I just got it.

The detail on it, like the previous one, is amazing.  It's built with great craftsmanship.  They spared no effort or expense.  It's just many people find it, well, too much with the patriotism theme.

Maudie Moore told me that one of the Heritage owners, probably JP Moats, called her to say what to put on the pickguard.  Heritage had a guitar show in a few weeks in Chicago.  They decided the Challenger as a symbol of America's resilience after the disaster.  She thought that odd, and I believe she's right.  But those Heritage owners were very much salt of the earth, hard working guys with traditional values.

I learned that it was very hard to do the red, white and blue binding.  The inlays were also complicated and fragile.  The Liberty Bell was made in Germany.  In the late 80s each one cost Heritage $500.

So it may not be your cup of tea, but underneath the kitsch is a fine guitar.  It is NOS from 1993.  I polished the frets, cut the nut and bridge slots a little, set up, and it works just fine.

In 2021, it seems very much out of place and a "what were they thinking?" design.  But I wonder what they will think of us in 2050.  Whatever comes to mind, I'll bet you're wrong.

51155693849_659b8510f7_c.jpg

51154239662_938189f35c_c.jpg

51156014390_907ec92df6_c.jpg

51156014345_dfdfe7366d_c.jpg

51156014335_5d7f527890_c.jpg

51156014320_639de63d63_c.jpg

51155140798_c32df7d6dc_c.jpg

51154239592_045fd4ddd5_c.jpg

51154908156_732dea81ff_c.jpg

51155140768_6dc8899be5_c.jpg

51156014255_4652fee917_c.jpg

51154908121_2d154a17d4_c.jpg

51155693674_3cf9a08ae3_c.jpg

51154239492_634a0495c8_c.jpg

I’ve always liked this model. I think it’s a true example of what Heritage could do in the golden years. 

It ticks all the boxes of every skill needed in making something of this scope. 

Didn’t Bob own one of these at one time?

You have a beautiful example of this Model!

I love this model...always have.  And this one is over-the-top beautiful with its quilted maple back/sides. 

Enjoy that bad boy...even if you just hang it on your wall.

Get it a proper glass display case if you do.

2 hours ago, skydog52 said:

I’ve always liked this model. I think it’s a true example of what Heritage could do in the golden years. 

Right with you SkyDog52.  Bob stopped by the wood shop with one of these.  I thought them gaudy in photos but once in-hand one quickly appreciates the level of craftsmanship in these creations.

Congrats MG!  Nice snatch.

• 1 month later...

I have no issue with the special inlays and theme.   I know a few places where it would be a big hit.  Just hang on to it until the triennial celebration in 2076, and I bet it will fetch a pretty penny,  or bitcoin,  or whatever futuristic currency is in vogue.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:51 PM, skydog52 said:

Yes, Rhoadescholar had one. Pete has one too.  Even has a unique molded patriotic case.

I always thought the Eagle was a really nice tribute to some iconic American achievements. They are fantastic instruments: I even like the quilted one there!

At one PSP I hadn't brought a guitar with me, so asked Pete if they happened to have a spare guitar I could hold as a prop for the group photo. Well, I almost fell over when he came out with a large hollowbody case that was red, white, and blue.

" is that what I think it is?? " he just smiled & handed it to me.

I opened the case and it really blew my mind when I saw it. I couldn't believe it, I just wanted any old gtr to use in the photo. I had a bit of time to play it unamplified, and it was incredible. Very light too.

Thoroughly honoured that he was comfortable to let me use it for the photo, I carefully held it for the shot, with a shirt on the ground to keep it from getting scuffed.

Anyway, Congratulations Martygrass! That is a beauty!

8 hours ago, bolero said:

I always thought the Eagle was a really nice tribute to some iconic American achievements. They are fantastic instruments: I even like the quilted one there!

At one PSP I hadn't brought a guitar with me, so asked Pete if they happened to have a spare guitar I could hold as a prop for the group photo. Well, I almost fell over when he came out with a large hollowbody case that was red, white, and blue.

" is that what I think it is?? " he just smiled & handed it to me.

I opened the case and it really blew my mind when I saw it. I couldn't believe it, I just wanted any old gtr to use in the photo. I had a bit of time to play it unamplified, and it was incredible. Very light too.

Thoroughly honoured that he was comfortable to let me use it for the photo, I carefully held it for the shot, with a shirt on the ground to keep it from getting scuffed.

Anyway, Congratulations Martygrass! That is a beauty!

I remember that.

IMG_2339.JPG.jpeg

6 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Love the wood and all that bling!

However the truss rod cover is just too plain Jane for my taste.   Needs something special to seal the deal.

How about an image of Ronald Reagan?

7 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Love the wood and all that bling!

However the truss rod cover is just too plain Jane for my taste.   Needs something special to seal the deal.

I tried this TRC.  Not sure that matches well.

20210609_202741.jpg

Archived