Heritage Owners Club

Praising my 140 2ndEd back in 2007

Wow.    It’s 2021 and I found this old post when my user name was Peerless.  I was the coowner of Peerless Tone at the time 

I wouldn’t change a word.   I would add that the 140 2nd Ed is still my #2 or often my #1 guitar.  I am still using the original HRW pickups which sound amazing.   I changed the tail piece to a nickel plated vintage steel bridge all the way down to the screws.  I also am using a Tone Pros aluminum tail piece.  At some point I replaced the nut with bone.   It has some wear from tons of playing over the years.   It has seen many different amps and other guitars come on go. .  It’s an excellent hand crafted instrument.   Heritage make some of the best guitars on the planet.   This is guitar is the best single cut I have ever played.   It’s a little edgy and biting in tune compared to a 150 but ultimately there is no trade off in tone for the added playability of these guitars.   

I had the pleasure of playing a 1959 reissue Les Paul for 5.5k and I wouldn’t trade it for my Heritage 140 which just sounded better and there was a district difference in the feel of the guitar    Forget about that major brand    Go with a Heritage    

2007:

•  

I dearly love Heritage Guitars.  I have been playing them for almost 10 years now since I read about the company.  

My latest and favorite Heritage instrument is a CM 140 2nd Edition I purchased from Jay Wolfe a little over a year ago.  Man this is the nicest most well crafted guitar I have ever owned or played.  Whenever I get the GAS for something outrageously expensive and vintage this is the guitar I goto for the cure and so far it works every time.  I am surprised you do not see more 140 owners?  I love the traditional 150 but never played one consistently enough due to its weight and balance.  Not really the weight or size really, just that a 150 is not a good lap guitar for several reasons and 80% of my actual offstage (yeah right) playing is sitting down.  Anyway I thought the 140 was a cool compromise and it was actually upon the advice of those few and far between 140 owners who talked me into it.  While you do not find many 140 players, those who do, can give amazing testimony to the feel and playability of the guitar.  Now I  must agree.  These guitars feel and play great.  They sound just like their heavier counterparts.  I find the variability in tone among 140's falls well into the variance among 150's.  That is to say, you can't distinguish a 140 from a 150 blind.  The feel of this guitar (yeah, even when standing) is awesome.  The 140 is very well balanced.

Oh well...All I am saying is that given the amount of folks who say the LP isn't for them due to its weight you should see more 140 players.  Maybe the original 140 is not as tonefull as the 140 2nd ed which I have.  All the good stuff on 140's I heard was on the original.  I am the only person I know of with a 2nd edition.  So I find no reason to believe the original 140 was inferior in sound quality to the 150.  IT looks like although a few 140's made it out there before being discontinued, as far as I can tell very few 2nd editions were sold.  This is so sad given the quality of this instrument.  I think the 2nd ed is discontinued now too.  Oh well, I will not sell mine.  It's too cool of a guitar.

Anyway, I am glad to have finally found you guys on the web.  I did not know Heritage had a forum and the quality of posts here seems top notch.  ...and I wanna hear from you proud 140 owners!!!

Photos of my Heritage 140 2nd Ed

Its serial number V17001.  It was the guitar featured at NAMM the year it was introduced.   Somehow it made its way to FL as a part of Jay Wolfe’s collection and upon calling him on a 3rd Heritage he said this was exactly what I was looking for and he was right.  

Sometime last year I talked with Ren as I wanted to know about the neck profile and he told me the guitar was meant to be sent to one of their endorsing artists but somehow it was lost in the shuffle and sent to Jay.   He said I was very lucky to have it.  I have papers from both Heritage and Jay stating it was the first of the production line.   There is also an inscription inside the control cavity.    This is a truly great playing guitar.  

Ughh... files to big to upload    I have to make them smaller in file size   Until I figure that out on the iPhone ?

On 5/7/2021 at 11:47 PM, fuzzylogic8250 said:

... " I changed the tail piece to a nickel plated vintage steel bridge all the way down to the screws.  I also am using a Tone Pros aluminum tail piece.  At some point I replaced the nut with bone."   

...I am surprised you do not see more 140 owners?  I love the traditional 150 but never played one consistently enough due to its weight and balance. 

Those are great upgrades... Perfect to get all out of the guitars IMHO.
So when I was a dealer I had plans to do a Thinline 157 of the month for a year. The theory behind was a dense(Heavy) body shaved from 2" to 1 1/2" would deliver ALL the tone of the Heavy guitars in a manageable 8# weight... I had some built prior to Plaza stepping in and wanting to stop custom dealer orders.

I miss the boutique days! But I get the production based current system, with standardized models sharing basic common features that has allowed Heritage to survive to date!

However my story all started with my experiences with my Well loved 147 workhorse!  right click the links
My nicely upgraded 147   [img]https://i.imgur.com/JF4F1i4.jpg[/img]
Choice wooded slim 157  [img]https://i.imgur.com/eoPnCsT.jpg[/img]
Mini hum loaded slim 157 [img]https://i.imgur.com/xWzfuTs.jpg[/img]

Archived