Heritage Owners Club

Advice before buying a H-170

Rexxyboy

Greetings everyone! A left hand 2003 H-170 in translucent blue has come up for sale here in Australia. I was able to research that this guitar was originally custom built as a lefty righty by a forum member (Greg), but it has since been reverted to a lefty. The bridge however, is still reversed. Looks like a new nut was cut so that's a good thing. If i buy this guitar will i need to have the bridge reversed back? The current owner says the intonation is good, but i'm unsure, surely the bridge angle is relevant to the build for a righty. Seeking advice. Is it a dealbreaker? It has an Ebony board, and looks good! I'm 2000 kms away from the buyer, so trying it is not an option.

Many thanks,

Rexxy the Lefty!

H170 BLue Lefty.jpg

Hello Rexxy, and welcome to the club! Loooking at the position of the saddles, they seem to be about right for correct intonation, but with the bridge angled as it is you might not have room for adjustment if you change the string gauge. Changing the bridge position for a proper lefty shouldn't be beyond the skills of a competent luthier. It would be a case of removing the bridge and bushings, plugging the holes and re-drilling them. Not sure how much that would cost, but either way, that's a great looking guitar.

By "lefty righty" I assume you mean someone like Albert King or Eric Gales, a left hander playing a right-handed guitar upside down, with the low E at the lower edge of the fingerboard.

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. My guitar repairer could easily reset it as you suggested. By righty lefty, the first owner wanted a lefty guitar but strung up and set up like a righty. The opposite of that is Hendrix, who played lefty righty!

If I do get the guitar I'll report here on the forum!

You're welcome. This is a great place for advice on all sorts of guitar-related things. If it's your first Heritage, it won't belong before you get a second, then a third... ?

7 minutes ago, Rexxyboy said:

It was custom built as a lefty righty by forum member Greg many yeas ago in 2003, it's changed hands a lot since!l then!

No worries mate, I believe you.

Here’s Sammy with his lefty strung upside down 

438A141F-34B3-4108-979B-FB85F926E4AA.jpeg

Archived