Heritage Owners Club

tailpeice swap

motoputz

anybody swapped there schaller tailpiece but left the roller bridge?

hows it working if so? ...  or

is it better to swap the whole schaller stuff out for a traditional Gibbons type set up?

I just rediscovered top wrapping and would like to the same to my H150

m

I have done that and still do with Bigsbys.

There are advantages of the roller bridge.  The first is that it easily allows changes in the string spread.  Those who play fingerstyle may take advantage of that.  You can narrow the string spread if you find your vibrato technique pulls the high E off the edge.

The second advantage is if you use a Bigsby.  You will want a shallower break angle by the tailpiece combined with bridge rollers.  That combo helps keep the guitar in tune.  Gibbons and Gretsch had used a rocking bridge, getting the same good result a different way.  I have not seen such a thing on a Heritage.

So why doesn't everyone use a roller bridge?  It may reduce sustain some and is a bit heavier.

These Schaller bridges are very well engineered.

13 hours ago, motoputz said:

anybody swapped there schaller tailpiece but left the roller bridge?

hows it working if so? ...  or

is it better to swap the whole schaller stuff out for a traditional Gibbons type set up?

I just rediscovered top wrapping and would like to the same to my H150

m

In my experience the roller bridge only really helps with a Bigsby, when strings are bent over a fulcrum and need less friction. I think the rollers are a good concept but what I find is that they move too easily and my string spacing wasn't consistent, most noticeably when I changed the strings. It is well built but kind of a bulky look to me. I opted for the traditional look and went with a locking Tonepros. String changes are a breeze, I also feel like I get a little more sustain but who knows.

3 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

String spacing is very easy to adjust.  You simply roll the roller either direction.

I agree that its simple, but I feel they move too freely and once its set, how often does anyone really want it adjust it?
Every time I changed the strings they would move and sometimes even when I play.

But on the subject of leaving the bridge and replacing the tailpiece, any G-style tailpiece should be fine, and if you like the roller bridge, then keep it!

thanks for the feedback

I ordered a complete kit to replace the schaller set up

I'll do a little experiment;

1. swap the bridge, keep the original tailpiece

2. swap the tailpiece, keep the roller bridge

3. swap everything

see what happens?

On 5/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, motoputz said:

thanks for the feedback

I ordered a complete kit to replace the schaller set up

I'll do a little experiment;

1. swap the bridge, keep the original tailpiece