Heritage Owners Club

NAD - Quilter Aviator Cub

I've had my Quilter MicroPro II for years.  It was a highly recommended and amazingly versatile amp with so many features, you could go into control-knob-paralysis fiddling with it.

But I found I kept the amp settings the same all the time, never used its second input for microphone/acoustics, nor changed the voicing beyond a couple of Fender style settings.

Not too long ago, Quilter came out with the Aviator Cub 1x12 50W Combo.

If you're a Fender amp fan, this is thee amp to have.

• Tweed, Brown, Blackface inputs.
  • Digital Reverb (Very spring-like setting)
  • TMB controls, with a limiter (Compressor).
  • Effects loop with level control.
  • Plus unbalanced (1/4" jack) and headphone outputs for silent playing.

Has an excellent crunch and my pedals sing through it.

Being a 1x12 and less than 20lbs, its another perfect grab and go amp.

Seriously no complaints except for one trivial detail.... Made in China Aviator Cub vs. Made in USA MicroPro...

I watched the video demo of this amp being compared to a trio of vintage Fender amps.  Very, very impressive.  Mr. Quilter seems to have pretty well perfected the art of making his amps sound as good as just about anything you could imagine.  You'll have fun with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about this....clean they both sound wonderful but cranked I hear a world of difference.

BTW. when I see NAD for the thread topic I can't help but think of Beavis and Butthead.....

• 3 weeks later...

You're absolutely right!   

I don't know what they were hearing in the room but in the video around the 11:30 mark where he says "we're operating in the same tone range" and "Pretty spot on"..... NOT!   Its like comparing a H150 to a Telecaster on bridge pickup.   

Maybe it is the loudspeaker.    I know that speakers make a huge difference, but that's something that could EASILY be changed.  

Even with the Bandmaster,  there's still a pretty good difference between the Cub and the normal channel.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll have to take it at face value.  I like the sound of the amp, especially when driven.  Has a nice crunch to it.  I tend to favor the tweed over the blackface, but otherwise I think it sounds good on its own even if comparisons aren't as equal as Pat Quilter claims.

No, the Quilter doesn't sound exactly like a vintage Fender, but it does sound good, and it sounds like it would be a fun, low maintenance, versatile amp.

I have a little Super Champ XD in my living room that I test guitars out with, and I have plenty of fun with it. Does it sound like the real deal? Close but no cigar:) A real tweed amp is a thing to behold, and they are not going to get there with a solid state amp. The Super Champ even has 2 6V6 tubes and a 12AX7 phase inverter, and it doesn't get there.

Tweeds are just so full of chewy musical tone. The mids in them are glorious, even without reverb the clean tones are beautiful, and that's why I prefer them to Blackfaces. But if I gig with a Fender, it always a Blackface. It's either, my handwired Princeton Reverb Clone, or my' 64 Deluxe Reverb, because they cut so well. If I'm recording I refer tweeds.

4 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I have a little Super Champ XD in my living room that I test guitars out with, and I have plenty of fun with it.

I had one of those of those handy little guys too. 

I replaced it with an '83 Champ II. That little monster handled some sessions so well I was asked to turn down.

I like my Mustang III v. 2 for the array of sounds, and for a back up.

For recording I like my Silverface DR and 5E3.

I'm using the 5E3 with my H-535 for an upcoming gig since I used it for all the practice sessions. A sweet combo for classic rock mixed with some fusion with fun feedback.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, DetroitBlues said:

I've had my Quilter MicroPro II for years.  It was a highly recommended and amazingly versatile amp with so many features, you could go into control-knob-paralysis fiddling with it.

But I found I kept the amp settings the same all the time, never used its second input for microphone/acoustics, nor changed the voicing beyond a couple of Fender style settings.

Not too long ago, Quilter came out with the Aviator Cub 1x12 50W Combo.

If you're a Fender amp fan, this is thee amp to have.

• Tweed, Brown, Blackface inputs.
  • Digital Reverb (Very spring-like setting)
  • TMB controls, with a limiter (Compressor).
  • Effects loop with level control.
  • Plus unbalanced (1/4" jack) and headphone outputs for silent playing.

Has an excellent crunch and my pedals sing through it.

Being a 1x12 and less than 20lbs, its another perfect grab and go amp.

Seriously no complaints except for one trivial detail.... Made in China Aviator Cub vs. Made in USA MicroPro...

Interesting how the more expensive one is made overseas. Keeping the price down I guess. 

On 7/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, Yooper said:

I had one of those of those handy little guys too. 

I replaced it with an '83 Champ II. That little monster handled some sessions so well I was asked to turn down.

I like my Mustang III v. 2 for the array of sounds, and for a back up.

For recording I like my Silverface DR and 5E3.

I'm using the 5E3 with my H-535 for an upcoming gig since I used it for all the practice sessions. A sweet combo for classic rock mixed with some fusion with fun feedback.

Where is the gig and what band? I may have to pack a trip to Yooperland

2 hours ago, ElNumero said:

Where is the gig and what band? I may have to pack a trip to Yooperland

Sadly its not up in da UP. It's by the Muskegon River at a large private party. The band is called Karmic Haze. We play a bit of blues, classic rock, Grateful Dead, Coltrane and Sun Ra, to give you an idea of how far into group improv we go.

35 minutes ago, Yooper said:

Sadly its not up in da UP. It's by the Muskegon River at a large private party. The band is called Karmic Haze. We play a bit of blues, classic rock, Grateful Dead, Coltrane and Sun Ra, to give you an idea of how far into group improv we go.

Wow, Yooper, that's a very eclectic range of musical styles. 

47 minutes ago, Yooper said:

Nice that you are in a band though! Can't be that many musicians up that way, but oh wait, you are a troll now correct?

6 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Wow, Yooper, that's a very eclectic range of musical styles. 

The people we play for are serious music fans. Several bands will be playing there as well, so a lot of musicians will be there and even a club owner or two. Since our lead singer left, we had to drop the country tunes.

1 minute ago, ElNumero said:

you are a troll now correct?

No. Just a Yooper in exile, married to a nice troll from Ann Arbor.

My bumper sticker says, "My heart is in da UP, but my ass is stuck here".

On 7/22/2021 at 2:37 PM, Yooper said:

No. Just a Yooper in exile, married to a nice troll from Ann Arbor.

My bumper sticker says, "My heart is in da UP, but my ass is stuck here".

Dem A square gals can be wild!

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

Dem A square gals can be wild!

Not to mention they're intelligent and have very good taste in men. Yooper musicians are a special prize. 

Archived