Heritage Owners Club

Custom Core 150 On The Way....

yoslate

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What else to do with all that retirement wealth??  Congratulations. Looks like a beauty! I saw a few of those in person several weeks ago. 

2 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

What else to do with all that retirement wealth??  Congratulations. Looks like a beauty! I saw a few of those in person several weeks ago. 

Thanks, Will.  Actually, I've been downsizing.  I've sold a McInturff, an R4, a Whitfill, a vintage Silvertone, and put a PRS DGT and an R7 on the block.  Been very intrigued by the Custom Cores, and this one spoke to me.  Wasn't exactly looking for it, but it kind of found me.  Have yet to see one in the flesh, but the Heritage sponsored demos are really good and piqued my interest.  Been a Lester guy forever, and have played a pile of vintage ones, but my "retirement wealth" doesn't include a disposable $300K to snag one.  And as I've thought about all the stuff I have, the fact I don't gig anymore and what I enjoy, my Heritages have become my favorite "at the house" players!  The other pieces were great tools, so much fun to play out and record with, but I'm just so fond of the Heritage story and their wood.  Been to Parsons Street ten or eleven times, met the original characters, had such great times at the PSP's...the Heritages are the guitars I want to live with.    

14 minutes ago, yoslate said:

Thanks, Will.  Actually, I've been downsizing.  I've sold a McInturff, an R4, a Whitfill, a vintage Silvertone, and put a PRS DGT and an R7 on the block.  Been very intrigued by the Custom Cores, and this one spoke to me.  Wasn't exactly looking for it, but it kind of found me.  Have yet to see one in the flesh, but the Heritage sponsored demos are really good and piqued my interest.  Been a Lester guy forever, and have played a pile of vintage ones, but my "retirement wealth" doesn't include a disposable $300K to snag one.  And as I've thought about all the stuff I have, the fact I don't gig anymore and what I enjoy, my Heritages have become my favorite "at the house" players!  The other pieces were great tools, so much fun to play out and record with, but I'm just so fond of the Heritage story and their wood.  Been to Parsons Street ten or eleven times, met the original characters, had such great times at the PSP's...the Heritages are the guitars I want to live with.    

That makes sense, you found a logical and practical way to fund the new baby. Look forward to your review of it once you take delivery!

Oooops!  Thought perhaps the link would stay good.  Apparently not.  Sorry!  But it's an aged Custom Core 150 in tobacco burst.   Not wildly flamed at all, but some strong horizontal figure.  Dark brown rim fades to golden on the belly.

42 minutes ago, yoslate said:

Oooops!  Thought perhaps the link would stay good.  Apparently not.  Sorry! 

I was wondering what was going on.   I clicked and got the ol' 404 error.  Somebody at Lark must really be on the ball.

Do you still have the goldtop that I played at PSP with the PAFs?    I'd be interested in hearing a comparison between that guitar and the new Custom Core's pickups.   Regardless,  I'm sure you'll make it sound pretty sweet.  

Yowsers!  Nice choice, Rob.

That Lark link worked a couple of hours ago, but not now.  Whatever.  Just tell people it'll look like your H150 20th Anniversary.  Speaking of which, doesn't that one make your new purchase somewhat duplicately redundant?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

1 hour ago, TalismanRich said:

I was wondering what was going on.  Somebody at Lark must really be on the ball.

Do you still have the goldtop that I played at PSP with the PAFs?    I'd be interested in hearing a comparison between that guitar and the new Custom Core's pickups.   Regardless,  I'm sure you'll make it sound pretty sweet.  

35 minutes ago, LK155 said:

Yowsers!  Nice choice, Rob.

That Lark link worked a couple of hours ago, but not now.  Whatever.  Just tell people it'll look like your H150 20th Anniversary.  Speaking of which, doesn't that one make your new purchase somewhat duplicately redundant?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thanks, Rich!  I've been uncommonly lucky online (though maybe I shouldn't say anything just yet).  Lark Guitars are in San Antonio, and Clint, with whom I dealt, couldn't have been cooler nor more sharp!  Really quick, hip communications!  And that R7 Goldtop is at a friend's shop, on the block...but the PAF's are now in my 20th Anniversary 150.  Blasphemy, anyone?!  So a comparison should be pretty interesting!  And Lyle, my 20th Ann. is a standard by which any 150 should be measured...and the Custom Core will be.  I'm particularly interested in differences, and, as Rich noted, how the 225 Parsons Street p'ups compare to real PAF's, both in a 150.  This is going to be fun!  Hope I have the time to get to all of that.  More on why I might not, later. 

11 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

On a side note...I can't believe you sold your R4!!  :icon_scratch:

Tim, you are, as always, right on top of things!  That R4 was one of the best, coolest guitars I've ever had the pleasure of owning!!  Some of the best stuff I've ever recorded was with that one.  Very, very tough to let it go!  Apparently it went to a big studio guy in LA, so I can take a lot of comfort in the fact that it'll get plenty of work.  But you know (and you do), "[T]he moving finger writes, and having written...."

I can't wait to hear what you think of this guitar. I think G I B S O N blew it when they let go of Edwin Wilson, and having him at the helm of the Custom Core line is a total win for H E R I T A G E.

I wonder if those PAFs are going to find there way into the Custom Core :) Although they are winding their own pickups in this shop, and before Edwin Wilson left the big G, they initiated the Custom Buckers which are the best pickups they've wound in years. Like I said, I'm excited to hear what you think!

1 hour ago, rockabilly69 said:

I can't wait to hear what you think of this guitar. I think G I B S O N blew it when they let go of Edwin Wilson, and having him at the helm of the Custom Core line is a total win for H E R I T A G E.

I wonder if those PAFs are going to find there way into the Custom Core :) Although they are winding their own pickups in this shop, and before Edwin Wilson left the big G, they initiated the Custom Buckers which are the best pickups they've wound in years. Like I said, I'm excited to hear what you think!

Agree completely on Edwin Wilson, Daniel.  One of the reasons I wanted a Custom Core was that I thought the pickups had a good chance of being something special, given what I could suss from the better demos.  And you bet, on the Custom Buckers!  Had those in the 20th Anniversary, and the only thing I'd take them out for are the PAF's.  Compare/contrast between the Custom Core and the 20th Ann. should really be fun!  Had a good, quick, cut-to-the-chase series of exchanges with Clint at Lark Guitars over the purchase.  He seemed to think the one I tagged was the best one he'd seen.  Kind of a predictable statement from a seller, but I could read a little between the lines.  Oh...and 8 lbs. 3 ozs.  May be here Saturday....

46 minutes ago, yoslate said:

Agree completely on Edwin Wilson, Daniel.  One of the reasons I wanted a Custom Core was that I thought the pickups had a good chance of being something special, given what I could suss from the better demos.  And you bet, on the Custom Buckers!  Had those in the 20th Anniversary, and the only thing I'd take them out for are the PAF's.  Compare/contrast between the Custom Core and the 20th Ann. should really be fun!  Had a good, quick, cut-to-the-chase series of exchanges with Clint at Lark Guitars over the purchase.  He seemed to think the one I tagged was the best one he'd seen.  Kind of a predictable statement from a seller, but I could read a little between the lines.  Oh...and 8 lbs. 3 ozs.  May be here Saturday....

I wonder if Edwin still has the hookup with the plantation in Fiji growing the Honduran Mahogany as that is a pretty low weight piece of Mahogany! And you just may get a sweet set up pickups in that rig!

Congratulations Rob!

If anyone can give an honest assessment for tone and quality, you are the most qualified person on the forum, at least in my opinion.

I'm hoping this guitar beats your expectations and is all you're looking for and looking forward to reading your thoughts and opinions.

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

Congratulations Rob!

If anyone can give an honest assessment for tone and quality, you are the most qualified person on the forum, at least in my opinion.

I'm hoping this guitar beats your expectations and is all you're looking for and looking forward to reading your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks so much, Josh....  Though if you want the really good lowdown, Daniel's your man!  I'll do the best I can, though.  And I'll have to become reacquainted with the song-and-dance for posting pictures.  There were some good ones on the shop website, but I couldn't pull them.  Really looking forward to this one!

Rob, re website photos (assuming Windows PC):

Get the photo on your screen, right-click, select Save Image As, give it a name and a destination folder on your pc, click on Save.  That's all you need to do.

3 hours ago, LK155 said:

Rob, re website photos (assuming Windows PC):

Get the photo on your screen, right-click, select Save Image As, give it a name and a destination folder on your pc, click on Save.  That's all you need to do.

Thanks, Lyle, but I'm an Apple guy, and the pics are gone from the site, so it's moot.  And congratulations to you and Marg!  A letter forthcoming.

20 hours ago, yoslate said:

Thanks so much, Josh....  Though if you want the really good lowdown, Daniel's your man!  I'll do the best I can, though.  And I'll have to become reacquainted with the song-and-dance for posting pictures.  There were some good ones on the shop website, but I couldn't pull them.  Really looking forward to this one!

I guess I'll have to make due until Daniel pulls the trigger! ?

Archived