Heritage Owners Club

H-575 vs H-535 guitars

OldStan

Hey Folks , interested to read your thoughts on these two absolutely great guitars.

•would having 2 Hollow Bodies ,  a 575 & a 530 be redundant for my guitar arsenal ?

•or would a 575 & a 535 be a little more variety, cuz one is hollow and the other one is semi hollow?

I’m open to hear what those who either have both,

or had owned both and decided to let one or the other go. ??

Advanced thanks for your kind responses and comments!

I would take in consideration pickup configurations and construction materials.

535/530 are laminated panels leaving you with less feedback from the top movement.

The 575 is a carved, solid maple top and will resonate more and be more prone to feedback at high volume/gain.

So there is more than just centerblocks and pickups to think about.

So in regards to your combination for veristilty.....

I'd take option C! A 530 and 535!  (I know, not the A/B option).

530 being a hollowbody with P90's growl (and can take a bit more gain/volume)

535 being semi-hollowbody with humbuckers for when I need more of a LP style aggression.

Another consideration is the type of music you play and how it will be amplified.  (e.g. Jazz/Rock/Blues/Country, etc.) 

Also, do you mostly play clean or dirty/overdriven?  Loud or soft?  Band situation or solo player at home? 

I tend to play a wide variety of music styles (some worse than others), so I lean towards semi-hollow guitars as my go-to instrument.  A nice H-535 can do darn near anything in my book.  But if you want a true jazz box, you can't do much better than a full hollow, carved H-575. 

Your individual needs should dictate the type of guitar or guitars you select.   

Have fun and let us know what you decide.

44 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Another consideration is the type of music you play and how it will be amplified.  (e.g. Jazz/Rock/Blues/Country, etc.) 

Also, do you mostly play clean or dirty/overdriven?  Loud or soft?  Band situation or solo player at home? 

I tend to play a wide variety of music styles (some worse than others), so I lean towards semi-hollow guitars as my go-to instrument.  A nice H-535 can do darn near anything in my book.  But if you want a true jazz box, you can't do much better than a full hollow, carved H-575. 

Your individual needs should dictate the type of guitar or guitars you select.   

Have fun and let us know what you decide.

Ok sure will!

Unless you're a jazz guy, or even if you are, the 535 is the more versatile tool for the job. Guitar maestro John Scofield plays his semi-hollow for everything from jazz with the legends, and rock with Govt. Mule, to country. Yes, he has a country music album, or at least an album of country tunes jazzed up. Country for Old Men.

I agree that the 535 is very versatile.  But you can rock with a H-575, too.  You just have to control feedback, which ain't always easy.

I saw Yes about two years ago.  Steve Howe played his ES-175 and loud.

I played in a rock and blues band with a Gretsch Country Gentleman for some time.  It can be done.  The Beatles played hollowbody Epiphones.

Here's someone who's managed to make a living with a hollowbody at loud volumes.  Yes, it's trestle braced.  Yes, it's a laminate.  But he's mastered the instrument.

Having said all that, I'd opt for the 535 if it's gotta be loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIS2uSv5G3s

2 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

I agree that the 535 is very versatile.  But you can rock with a H-575, too.  You just have to control feedback, which ain't always easy.

I saw Yes about two years ago.  Steve Howe played his ES-175 and loud.

I played in a rock and blues band with a Gretsch Country Gentleman for some time.  It can be done.  The Beatles played hollowbody Epiphones.

Here's someone who's managed to make a living with a hollowbody at loud volumes.  Yes, it's trestle braced.  Yes, it's a laminate.  But he's mastered the instrument.

Having said all that, I'd opt for the 535 if it's gotta be loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIS2uSv5G3s

MartyGrass, this community family is so special to me! And I know there are those out there are those here stretching the 575 to it’s limits too, I’ve read the forums comments! Gives me musical options when choosing the right guitar for my intended use.

I know it’s all so individually subjective , and never say never , but I can see why some of you all have multiples of Heritage models! And that’s a good thing. ?

I've always been a big fan of the semihollow style.   From the time I was an 11 yr old kid taking lessons,  I wanted one.  It took a long time before I got one, but I'm glad I did.   If I had to pull out a guitar, my 535 or my Starfire IV would be my first choice.  

I have a 525,  full hollow, laminated with P90s   A full hollow is nice, and it has a distinctive sound.  It is really nice unamplified.   I don't find it as comfortable as the 535, but it's got a place.

If I had to pick one,  the 535 would be it.

Good question: the variety of P90 vs humbuckers with a 575/530 pairing is appealing

But a 575/535 pairing would work too, as they are also substantially different sounding instruments IMO.

P90s can pick up a lot of external noise, and all the wifi/cell/EM noise from our exponentially increasing technology can be problematic, if that is an issue for you.

I thought I heard aliens talking through my P90s the other day. maybe it's not just us

Nah #tfb, I didn’t take it as glib! 
‘It just isn’t’ I love that ? ?

Archived