Heritage Owners Club

New toy day

PunkKitty

Picked this up from Craigslist today. Yes, that is a dot you see on the toggle switch. It's a 2004 H535 with HRW pickups. The input jack is a little wacky, so I'll have to pull the wiring harness to fix it. I thought I'd pull the HRW's and resell them. I can either install a set of Wolfetone Dr. Vintage or a set of Creamery 59 PAF's. After I sell the pickups, it will bring the price down to what I would have paid a few years ago.

How different do HRW's sound compared to stock Schallers? I think the buyer of those HRW's would want that switch as well.

It is a beautiful guitar and I would give the Ren modded pickups a try before pulling them. 

Nice!

Only one screw per side of the pickup? The HRWs in my H535 have two... (Yes, I do know that Schallers/HRWs can be mounted with sigle screws. ?)

Nice guitar, by the way!

14 hours ago, y2kc said:

How different do HRW's sound compared to stock Schallers? I think the buyer of those HRW's would want that switch as well.

I sold the switch tip to Guy when I sold him the HRWs out of my 535.  It only seemed right. 

6 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

Someone may have pulled the HRWs already.

I had that thought too. 

Nice.

Every time I see a natural 535 it brings back memories of one of the few stand out guitars I let slip through my fingers.

I think if I bought it I may have not bought a lot of other guitars. Who knows? It just hadnt sunk in that what I was looking for was a 535/335 type guitar at the time. It took another 7yrs before I realised.

Finally had a chance to look at things today. The HRW's are there. The electronics need to be replaced. A couple of the pots are bad and it needs a new jack. I'm just going to build a new harness and drop it in. I'm installing a set Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pickups that I have on the shelf. Bridge appears to be TonePros with GraphTech saddles. The tailpiece is an aluminum TonePros. Tuners are either Kluson or Grover with collars that use 10mm holes. Think I'm just going to keep the hardware in place and replace the electronics.

On a side note, I picked up a used Epi LP Ultra III last week that had all of the Shadow Nanomag electronics taken out if it. The pickup is still there. The stock humbuckers were replaced with a set of zebra Duncan Slash humbuckers. Now I know what's going in my new H-150. 

4 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

Finally had a chance to look at things today. The HRW's are there. The electronics need to be replaced. A couple of the pots are bad and it needs a new jack. I'm just going to build a new harness and drop it in. I'm installing a set Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pickups that I have on the shelf. Bridge appears to be TonePros with GraphTech saddles. The tailpiece is an aluminum TonePros. Tuners are either Kluson or Grover with collars that use 10mm holes. Think I'm just going to keep the hardware in place and replace the electronics.

On a side note, I picked up a used Epi LP Ultra III last week that had all of the Shadow Nanomag electronics taken out if it. The pickup is still there. The stock humbuckers were replaced with a set of zebra Duncan Slash humbuckers. Now I know what's going in my new H-150. 

Sounds like a great guitar PK! I'm not a Slash fan at all, but I've installed Duncan Slash pickups in two of my friend's guitars and they sounded great. Nice medium PAF output, They clean up great and when pushed they rock!

I'd dump that tonepros/graphtech bridge though, and put a Faber ABR with unplated brass saddles on that one. And while you're at it, pull the crap stock nashville bridge inserts out, and replace them with Faber inserts! Cheap mods, but much better bridge and inserts! PLUS YOU CAN REPLACE SADDLES ON THESE...

https://faberusa.com/product/3068-0-abrn-bridge-plus-gloss-nickel/

if you've got the skills, these are even better (you have to tap the holes for the inserts, but then the bridge posts screw right into the guitar top)...

https://faberusa.com/product/3068-0-abrn-bridge-pro-gloss-nickel/

Both of my H150s benefitted big time from these bridges (I used choice 2, but I've also used the first one on many Gibbons guitars and they work great!

Archived