Heritage Owners Club

H535 vs h555

SeattleMI

I'm sure this has been hashed out somewhere before, but I enjoy hearing you all talk.

What are the differences between 555 and 535, which do you prefer and why?

I already have 155 and 150.  Which would allow a greater tonal variety within the stable?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think the difference between the 535 and the 555 is all that great.  Also true with the 150 and the 155.  There are structural differences in their build but not that extreme. 

I read where a young soldier in the Balkans fell in love with a young woman.  The asked this girl's mother if he could marry her daughter.  The woman held he palm up under her chin and looked from left to right.  Find either one that you like and be happy.  Neither will let you down. 

Some key differences of a H555 over H535:

Special split arrow inlays in fretboard (normally dot inlays)

Multiply binding on body and neck (normally single ply)

Ebony Fretboard (instead of Rosewood)

Bound pickguard.

Bound and inlaid headstock with split arrow inlay.

Sometimes gold hardware too.

@SeatteMI~ If you do consider a H-555 is in your future, remember that Heritage no longer builds them unless you special order from their ($$$) custom shop.

The used market may the best source.

And there is nothing wrong with a Heritage H-535...new or used.

I love mine!

zFBb71.jpg

The difference is extreme!  Just look, the 535 on the left, 555 on the right.  Obviously, the 535 has 12 strings, the 555 only 6.  The 555 has multi layer binding all around, bound F-holes, 5 piece neck, Eagle headstock, Throwbacks w/ RS harness, etc...

The 5s.jpg

30 minutes ago, Steiner said:

The difference is extreme!  Just look, the 535 on the left, 555 on the right.  Obviously, the 535 has 12 strings, the 555 only 6.  The 555 has multi layer binding all around, bound F-holes, 5 piece neck, Eagle headstock, Throwbacks w/ RS harness, etc...

The 5s.jpg

Are those yours! Beauties.

11 minutes ago, skydog52 said:

Are those yours! Beauties.

Thank you!  While not mine, their owner has passed.  I promised his Wife I'd help her sell them.

They came from an extraordinary dealer who facilitated the unusual upgrades to these rare birds.

I own a 555 but would be very happy with a 535. I bought the 555 because it was available. Both are knock out guitars and you would enjoy either. Good luck and post some pictures. I was actually looking for a 535 when I found the 555, but Heritage guitars are hard to come by in the UK, there is not much selection. often it's a case of what is available rather than what you prefer.

My 555 in natural. I changed from gold hardware to nickel - the wood is more honey coloured now.

No photo description available.

and the back, showing tiger maple neck

47060084_10156178660733212_6564541282083

@Steiner your 555 looks unlike any other I've seen.

I have been keeping my eyes open for the right 535 and I came across a 555 that just seemed to be priced right although I'd make a compromise in preferred body color.

Let's just say it got me thinking a bit.

42 minutes ago, SeattleMI said:

I have been keeping my eyes open for the right 535 and I came across a 555 that just seemed to be priced right although I'd make a compromise in preferred body color.

The 535 is one of around a dozen 12 string guitars that Heritage made.

The 555 was blinged out with every option Gary and Green Oak Guitars wanted.  When Gary and Marv met at PSP, they added every option that Marv approved.  All in all, the build needed 2 cards to list all the upgrades.  It felt like Marv wanted to build the unique 555.  I've not seen another close to it

9 hours ago, Steiner said:

Thank you!  While not mine, their owner has passed.  I promised his Wife I'd help her sell them.

They came from an extraordinary dealer who facilitated the unusual upgrades to these rare birds.

I remember the 12 string build. I actually had another 12 string built at the same time for myself. I never received it. The transition was taking place at the time and the new guard contacted me that they got a bad batch of nitro and I asked them to refinish it and they refused to do it. I told them to keep it. Probably got scrapped. 

16 hours ago, Steiner said:

The 5s.jpg

Nothing like a couple custom orders... Including a 12 string 535!!!!

9 hours ago, SeattleMI said:

Those are both heavily customized orders from the factory.  You won't find another 12 string 535 or a 555 with all the extra inlay work...

It's amazing to see all the custom Heritage Guitars that keep showing up.

At one of the PSP events a player had a 16" Heritage Johnny Smith guitar. When I remarked I had never known Heritage to make a small body Heritage Johnny Smith he told me it was one of a set and the other one was outside in his car!

There are times that I wish I had gotten a 555 instead of the 535,  I like bling, block inlays and binding.    But I can whip out the 535 and get totally lost playing it, so I guess that's the important thing.   ..

I do have a 157, so I can always pull that out if I want the fancy look.   

Pressure,  you really ought to look into getting a custom made guitar.   I think you would like it!  ?

55 minutes ago, pressure said:

Hmmm... a custom Heritage Guitar, now that's something I never thought of Rich. Fab advice.

:this_thread_is_useless_without_

14 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Those are both heavily customized orders from the factory.  You won't find another 12 string 535 or a 555 with all the extra inlay work...

These cowboys got her humming this day...

image.png.326828cde2271173811371551eb5259f.png

Archived