Heritage Owners Club

H535 vs h555

SeattleMI

Wow. Surprised nobody has commented on the tonal difference in  that 535's have rosewood boards (unless custom ordered ebony)

And 555's have ebony

Huge difference in note response, feel, and I hear a big sound difference.

Cosmetics are cosmetics.

Tone is king 

4 hours ago, jazzalicious said:

Wow. Surprised nobody has commented on the tonal difference in  that 535's have rosewood boards (unless custom ordered ebony)

And 555's have ebony

Huge difference in note response, feel, and I hear a big sound difference.

Cosmetics are cosmetics.

Tone is king

My 535 had an ebony board on it.  I like it.  It seems to give the notes a crisp sharp attack. 

3 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I like the feel and the look of ebony, but I don't hear the massive difference that some people claim.   I can make a bigger difference by changing which pick I use.   Maybe I don't have "Eric Johnson" ears.   

I too am in the same camp as you Rich. I can’t hear a dang bit of difference between the two. But then again that could be due to my tin ear!

6 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I like the feel and the look of ebony, but I don't hear the massive difference that some people claim.   I can make a bigger difference by changing which pick I use.   Maybe I don't have "Eric Johnson" ears.   

Well, who wants all their guitars to sound the same anyway? but no, I don't hear much difference either, and on top of that a quality guitar should have its own voice in the first place.

15 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

No, it isn't that big of a difference.  It may be more feel than tone.  I would love it just as much if it had a different fret board. 

• 1 month later...

Been a while since this topic started.mark555 commented that there werent many H555's in the U.K.

I was having trouble downsizing pic's to the file size,but have finally have had some success (shoot me for 

being hopeless on a computer !) so here are a couple of photos of my 2002 example.

h555.jpeg

Image (20).jpg

17 minutes ago, houndhome said:

Been a while since this topic started.mark555 commented that there werent many H555's in the U.K.

I was having trouble downsizing pic's to the file size,but have finally have had some success (shoot me for 

being hopeless on a computer !) so here are a couple of photos of my 2002 example.

h555.jpeg

Image (20).jpg

Very nice! Looks very much like my 535 which is an Almond Sunburst with HRWs.

Almond sunburst is what this one is,but with the normal Schallers.Bought from Guitars4You some years ago.

I was told that it was originally aquired by the owner of High End Guitars (then the UK Heritage importer) who

went to the States to write an article on Heritage and picked this one out of the rack whilst he was there.I have 

no idea if this story is true or not.

Houndhome,   the best way to resize pics is IrfanView.   Its a freely available picture editor.   Load it up,  hit Image-Resize, and set the width you want.  The height will automatically adjust to keep the ratio the same.   I usually resize to 800 or 1024 pixels wide.    Save it and post away.   It's also quick and easy to crop pics and you can do fundamental color correction too.

On 7/1/2021 at 4:51 AM, High Flying Bird said:

I don't think the difference between the 535 and the 555 is all that great.  Also true with the 150 and the 155.  There are structural differences in their build but not that extreme. 

I read where a young soldier in the Balkans fell in love with a young woman.  The asked this girl's mother if he could marry her daughter.  The woman held he palm up under her chin and looked from left to right.  Find either one that you like and be happy.  Neither will let you down. 

Boo Hoo on that (non)analogy

I own two of each. Cosmetically, the 555 has the bling and the higher price tag. Sonically, pretty similar although some would say ebony fretboard makes the notes a little snappier!

On 7/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, skydog52 said:

Are those yours! Beauties.

Steiner, you sure you didn't photoshop that 555????

45 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

I own two of each. Cosmetically, the 555 has the bling and the higher price tag. Sonically, pretty similar although some would say ebony fretboard makes the notes a little snappier!

So, if you own two of each you should be able to confirm or dispel the rumored differences.    Crank those puppies up and give  us a nice recording of each....

49 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

Steiner, you sure you didn't photoshop that 555????

Marv did it.  'Tis an undoctored, real-life, fun to hold, dyed in the wool H-555.  I got the sense that Marv wanted to build one 555 with all the bling.  Fortunately for him, so did @cobra48168

Archived