Heritage Owners Club

New 225 pickups

MartyGrass

I don't know much about these pickups.  I've read some tone descriptions and listened to some playing.  But I wonder how different these pickups could be fundamentally.

We know the stories about Seth Lover taking years to get the PAF right.  We understand the elimination of microphonics that followed by potting.  There were many making changes over a 70 year period to offer something new and perhaps better.  Throbak lists their replication of the original PAF for over $500 per set, taking us right back to the beginning.  Brilliant builders emerged all over the world with their pickups.

So Heritage comes out with their 225s.  I commend them for doing that and having the whole guitar made at the historic site.  Their Custom Cores are stellar.

All that said, I have a very difficult time expecting to hear a unique sound based solely on the pickups.  No question that I can with HRWs.  But what could they possibly have done in building a pickup that no one else has done?  So what is the mystique of the 225s based on?

I look forward to someday having one of the new guitars with the pickups in it.  I don't know whether it makes sense to pay a premium price over the competition for just a set of pickups.

Comments?

4 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

Throbak lists their replication of the original PAF for over $500 per set, taking us right back to the beginning.  Brilliant builders emerged all over the world with their pickups.

Time is a flat circle.

33 minutes ago, Dick Seacup said:

Time is a flat circle.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like an apple...

7 hours ago, Steiner said:

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like an apple...

Reminds me of a funny exchange when I was much (much) younger. My grandmother responded, rather curtly, to something one of my aunts had said with, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." Common phrase, nothing funny about it. My grandfather, however, added from the other room, "But if you want to catch them all, just use shit."

I think moments and memories like that one contributed significantly to who I am today.

I am not going to spend $500.00 on pickups -but I am cheap.  There are so many affordable pickups out there that sound fine I just don't get it. 

I know a lot of people that run their guitars through several pedals at once.  After that the pups don't matter. 

I bet they are ruing the sale of the original 50's winder from the attic to Throbak ;)

That would have been a nice artifact to market/appeal to the vintage cork sniffers & tone lizards!

Granted, Throbak has taken things to the highest level in terms of authenticity & research, and makes amazing stuff. So if these 225's compare favourably, that says a lot.

1 hour ago, bolero said:

Woah, are there two threads about this? I thought I saw Yoslate commenting in here too? But he's Noslate

There are, Chris.  And I'd posted in the other one, "225 pickups."  Turned into the sound of one hand clapping. 

That's what happens when I get interrupted!

I wonder if Heritage changed its string supplier, too.  They have produced some wonderful videos about the CCs and have upped their game.  Strings are important since those buying at retail outlets will try the guitars out with the manufacturer's strings.

The artists in the videos may bring their own strings for the recordings but maybe not.  Whatever is happening works.

1 hour ago, yoslate said:

Changed strings within fifteen minutes of unboxing the Custom Core.  Stringjoy!  And yes, Marty, those demo videos are just terrific!

You tossed away perfecty good strings? Begosh!

35 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

You tossed away perfecty good strings? Begosh!

No, actually, I put on perfectly good strings.  And the factory strings were installed unlocked (unpinched), with (maybe) one winding on the post.

Archived