Heritage Owners Club

Adding a strap button to my new 575

Sim

I'm excited because I just received my first ever Heritage guitar via UPS today.  It's a lovely 575--also my first ever proper archtop.

I noticed that the guitar has a rear strap button installed (where the tailpiece meets the back of the guitar), but no front strap button.  I suppose they intend for me to use a strap that ties to the neck?  I'd rather add a strap button so I can use a normal two-point strap.  

Two questions: Is this a bad idea for some magic archtop reason I don't know about?  If not, any thoughts on where I should drill to place the strap button?  For obvious reasons I'm not thrilled by the prospect of drilling into this lovely machine.

Thanks.

Sim

Dealer's choice.  I did #2 on my Super Eagle.   https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/hardware-installation/wheres-the-best-spot-for-your-strap-button.html

Congratulations on the 575, as well.  I've owned six Heritage guitars (and dozens and dozens of most everything else), all different, each unique!  Still have four, and they're keepers!

Welcome Sim.  Not only are 575s proper, they're made of solid wood; not plywood.  Don't fret too much about drilling.

When I picked up my 575, Ren asked if I wanted one installed.  Sure!  He dropped the guitar on his bench (right there by the Plek/coatrack), threw the headstock on his shoulder and drilled the pilot hole...  It works well!

DSC_0267BL.jpg

Thanks, guys.  I'm so jazzed about my new guitar (pun intended).

I've installed a gazillion strap buttons before but somehow this new territory had me feeling sheepish.  It's good to hear that I can move forward as usual.  I'll probably pin the second button to the heel of the neck.

The solid construction of the 575's top is really nice.  I have a laminate Collings I-35 (their version of ES335), which is a smashing, lovely guitar.  But the tone out of the 575 is very different--maybe due more to the fully hollow build rather than the material.  But in any case, the new 575 sounds great, and very different from the Collings, which is what I was hoping for.  I'm intending for this guitar to be mainly for traditional jazz playing.

10 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Take your pick.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/uploads/monthly_03_2012/post-1396-0-74373000-1331490314.jpg

I'm leaning toward #1 at the moment myself...

Might it come with a strap button or should I order one? Mine's a customer return from a dealer, so I thought I'd check if it came with one before ordering one.

2 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Take your pick.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/uploads/monthly_03_2012/post-1396-0-74373000-1331490314.jpg

#1 & 2 are going into endgrain and won't be as strong as # 4 & 5 over the long haul.  #3 gives me the willies!  I don't know how thick the rim is; it can't be more than 1/4".

44 minutes ago, pressure said:

The SuperLight Millie doesn't have a neck strap button, I thought it would add too much weight.

:laughing4:

9 hours ago, Steiner said:

#1 & 2 are going into endgrain and won't be as strong as # 4 & 5 over the long haul.  #3 gives me the willies!  I don't know how thick the rim is; it can't be more than 1/4".

Hmm, makes sense, now I'm thinking #4 given that info. I had an acoustic that used spot #5 and the angle didn't feel right to me.

15 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Take your pick.

The 575 is pretty light, so end grain (1 and 2) should work.  It has for me.  #1 pushes the neck to the left further.  That might be too much for some players, particularly with a 25.5" neck.  #3 worries me if there isn't a block under the rim.  #5 rotates the guitar top to the floor a little.

The ones I've liked best are 2 and 4.  Some come from the factory with #3, which seems okay, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I successfully installed a strap button in spot #4 of the above image. You might laugh but about 15yrs ago I broke the screw head installing one on an Eastman guitar. I didn't know enough to drill a pilot hole, dummy me! Thank God the H575 was a success, I would have cried!

Has anyone replaced the strap button on the other end (tail)? I'd like to put a Dunlop button that has a bigger lip to prevent the strap from slipping off.  I unscrewed the stock knob and it's screw doesn't fit the new knob right and I'm unsure if I can just screw in the new knob with It's slightly longer screw, drill a deeper pilot hole, etc? For now I put the stock button back on and can use a rubber washer I already have to prevent slipping off.

Perhaps try a hardware store and see if they have the same screw a tad shorter.  Screws come in lengths that vary by 1/4".  I'd drill if you use the longer one.

Archived