Heritage Owners Club

NGD: Heritage H-575!

hallpass

I can finally join the Heritage owners club as I got my H-575 just yesterday! Long time lurker, realized I've been a member here since 2012 that has been close to a Heritage multiple times (H-535s, H-530s, H-575s), good to finally be an owner!

It was apparently a customer return from Music Store Live and I certainly cannot find a defect or anything that someone would return it for. So I feel like I got a nearly new H-575 at a decent price for today's going rates. The store probably had it for a while as the the serial number is AJ16810, which makes it a 2019 I think, right? It's a sunburst standard model with Seth Lovers. Nickel hardware. Wood is beautiful with a slight flame. I was looking at used ones popping up here/there but I love Seth Lovers (and nickel hardware) so that ended up the main deciding factor.

My first impression upon opening it is WOW! It just feels well put together and substantial in a very good way. It's a tad heavier than I anticipated and while it has a nice, solid top, it's unplugged volume is not loud. But that's totally fine with me as I bought it to be an electric guitar only anyway. Plugged in it sounds just as I'd hoped. The Seth Lovers are fantastic as I knew they would be. It came with what I think were the stock GHS Boomer 11s. They were fine and I am very used to 11s that I use on my ES-335 but honestly, I feel like this guitar needs thicker strings to get it to resonate nicely. So I've already put on D'Addario NYXL 12s...that and I swapped the knobs...makes it mine I guess. 

It didn't take me long to know I'm putting my Eastman AR372 (also with Seth Lovers) up for sale. The H-575 can of course nail the straight ahead jazz tones I'm looking for but it also seems like it's going to be versatile enough to use in my jazz/funk band which will cross into some rock fusion...which I was hoping the H-575 could handle some of and I think it will. So I can see this and my ES-335 sharing duties in that band and certainly be my main straight ahead jazz guitar.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I do have one question to ask.... I need to install a strap pin like we were talking about in the other recent thread. I think I'm going for spot #4 (referencing the pic in that thread) but besides predrilling the hole, is there anything I need to know? I did this once year ago with an Eastman and didn't know enough to pre-dill the hold and the screw head broke off and couldn't get the rest of the screw out....had to made a new hold right next to it. So I need to do it right this time, first try!

There are prescribed pilot hole sizes based on the screw size - probably a #6 screw - you'll find them on the interwebs.  Tape the drill bit to be sure you drill deep enough (there's a block of wood behind the heel).  Before working the screw in, rub candle wax on the conical helix.

28 minutes ago, Steiner said:

There are prescribed pilot hole sizes based on the screw size - probably a #6 screw - you'll find them on the interwebs.  Tape the drill bit to be sure you drill deep enough (there's a block of wood behind the heel).  Before working the screw in, rub candle wax on the conical helix.

The wax idea is a great idea.  I also put a drop of oil on the screw threads before sinking it.

1 hour ago, Steiner said:

1 hour ago, MartyGrass said:

The wax idea is a great idea.  I also put a drop of oil on the screw threads before sinking it.

I usually use ChapStick. I also put that on the screws for control cavities, pickup mounting rings, pick guards, etc. "Lots-a thangs you can do with ChapStick".

That's a fine looking 575 BTW, congrats!

1 hour ago, davesultra said:

I usually use ChapStick. I also put that on the screws for control cavities, pickup mounting rings, pick guards, etc. "Lots-a thangs you can do with ChapStick".

That's a fine looking 575 BTW, congrats!

Chapstick is a formulation with beeswax.  This is a good idea if you kiss your guitar for a wonderful time immersed in music; like I do...  Every time.

Good advice above.  However something seems to look wrong with that guitar.  After installing the strap button send that thing to me for a few weeks so I can make sure it is OK.  ?

10 hours ago, Steiner said:

Chapstick is a formulation with beeswax.  This is a good idea if you kiss your guitar for a wonderful time immersed in music; like I do...  Every time.

Wow! I thought I was the only one! ?

Got to play it in a band format last night VERY BREIFLY as practice got cut way short. I was so bummed as I literally just switched to the H-575 in the tune we had to stop rehearsal during...but there will be a next time for sure!

spacer.pngspacer.png

2 hours ago, hallpass said:

Got to play it in a band format last night VERY BREIFLY as practice got cut way short. I was so bummed as I literally just switched to the H-575 in the tune we had to stop rehearsal during...but there will be a next time for sure!

It won't be long until you start out with the 575 at practice or gigs. 

• 2 weeks later...

My H-575 is the only guitar I have ever owned that made me realise, within the first seconds of playing it, that this was my guitar.  I have to force myself to play my ES-175 now (it still can do things the H-575 can't, mostly because the H-575 is singke-pickup), which was my previous favourite guitar.  And the H-575 was less than half the price.

These are very good guitars: congratulations.

Archived