Heritage Owners Club

Speaker Swap Weber In My Boogie

Put a Weber 12A125A in my DC2 Boogie last night. I thought it would sound great with the Strat I built, and I got lucky, 'cause it does! I mostly play on the clean channel, and that's where it really shines. It gives the Boogie a little vintage Fender vibe. I had great results last week putting the same speaker in my Clark Beaufort (5E3), and I think Weber cracked the vintage P12 Jensen code with this speaker, and I've always liked vintage Jensens. It also lightened the amp up a little and that's a bonus!!! Sound clips soon as I'm still dialing in the Strat :)

Weber In Boogie Raw.jpg

Weber In Boogie Rear.jpg

Weber In Boogie.jpg

Strat and Boogie.jpg

19 hours ago, Yooper said:

Good choice. I have a Weber 12A125 in my 5E3.

My '73 Silverface DR has a '67 Jensen C12P. 

I also like ceramic mag speakers in my Deluxe. I currently has an alnico Weber 12A150 but I have an Eminence/Alessandro GA SC4 ceramic that is going in there next week! And the Weber 12A125 in my Clark 5E3 is going nowhere, it is slaying in that amp!

I love Webers. I have a couple of the California 12s that are their JBL D120 clones. One of them is acting up after years and years of usage. I just found out that Weber does re-cones of their speakers for only $30! What a deal!

On 7/27/2021 at 12:41 PM, rwinking said:

I love Webers. I have a couple of the California 12s that are their JBL D120 clones. One of them is acting up after years and years of usage. I just found out that Weber does re-cones of their speakers for only $30! What a deal!

That is a deal, especially if shipping isn't too much.

So I swapped out a Celestion  Creamback today. After reading this thread I put a ceramic Weber California in the amp. I was so used to the Celestion, I forgot that a different speaker turns it into a completely different amp.  I did that more often in my younger years but have not recently. Damn…..now I may be hooked on speakers. I give up cocaine and my alcohol consumption goes up. I give up alcohol and my guitar purchases go up. I stop that and now it is about speakers. Where will it end? My life is unmanageable.

17 minutes ago, rwinking said:

So I swapped out a Celestion  Creamback today. After reading this thread I put a ceramic Weber California in the amp. I was so used to the Celestion, I forgot that a different speaker turns it into a completely different amp.  I did that more often in my younger years but have not recently. Damn…..now I may be hooked on speakers. I give up cocaine and my alcohol consumption goes up. I give up alcohol and my guitar purchases go up. I stop that and now it is about speakers. Where will it end? My life is unmanageable.

I love the Weber California in my '77 Silverface DR.  Best speaker to bring out the best (aka loudest) cleans in that rig.  Considered putting a Celestion Gold in it, but it landed in the Heritage Victory in place of the Celestion G12H Anniversary. 

It never ends!

2 hours ago, rwinking said:

Yes it can be addicting. I did three speaker swaps this week, and one a few weeks ago.

I put a Celestion Blue (a speaker I normally HATE), into my AC15HW1, and frankly the AC amps are the proper home for a Blue. It replaced a Celestion Greenback which was spikey! The Blue which makes many things to dark, excels with the glassy highs of the AC15.

I put the 12A125 into my Clark Beaufort. It may now be my best sounding amp as I've been getting deep into the tweeds.

I put another 12A125 into my Mesa DC2. This amp has been sidelined lately because I just have so many good amps, but I can see channel one of this amp making it into a recording soon, as it sounds great.

And I replaced the JBL D123 (IMNSHO, JBLs best sounding guitar speaker, and even the designer of the D120, Harvey Gerst, thinks the same), that was in my Ampeg Mercury for the original Jensen P12R.

I think all the amps benefited from the swaps although the Ampeg was kind of a push as the JBL excelled at clean, the vintage Jensen excelled at organic warmth. And I had to be careful with the JBL as it could get bright fast in the already bright Mercury. That's probably the biggest reason for me swapping.

For me speaker swaps and experimentation ended searching for amps and OD pedals, and even p/up swaps.

The speaker I settled on for my fender isnt made anymore and Ive tried  celestions upgraded/replacement for it and it wasnt the same.

The one I have only has to last another 30-40yrs.

9 hours ago, JeffB said:

For me speaker swaps and experimentation ended searching for amps and OD pedals, and even p/up swaps.

The speaker I settled on for my fender isnt made anymore and Ive tried  celestions upgraded/replacement for it and it wasnt the same.

The one I have only has to last another 30-40yrs.

If I am reading you right, I agree. Changing speakers instead of ams makes the most difference for me right now. If an amp just doesn't sound right I am finding that there is a good possibility that swapping out speakers may be the answer. Like I said, I feel like I have a new amp!

I think that a JBL clone in a fender amp is the bomb.....

On 7/29/2021 at 11:22 PM, rockabilly69 said:

And I replaced the JBL D123 (IMNSHO, JBLs best sounding guitar speaker, and even the designer of the D120, Harvey Gerst, thinks the same), that was in my Ampeg Mercury for the original Jensen P12R.

Had a D123 in a Carr Sportsman - at the risk of driving up the market and with a little tube rolling, it was a ‘match made in heaven!’  Low wattage applications only…

• 3 months later...

My .02...

Daniel, likely preaching to the choir here as far as you are concerned, but for others...on the P12N thang, the one with the ring alnico magnet, I have one and it fried the VC to a sudden stop twice, original and 50w heavy duty VC re cone with a Hughes & Kettner Tube 20, pair of SS rec'ed el84 being the death blow dealer.  I still have that frozen POS.  Any recone of that speaker ought to have a mesh dustcap for the VC's heat dissipation.  The stock engineered setup can't handle dirty wave forms very well.  If I wanted to spend money to re cone it I would put a lightweight hemp cone, a kapton VC, and yes, that mesh cap.  Have some 60's Coral alnico 12's 16 ohm way better made better sound in the P12 tonal ballpark that are not being used.  So that Jensen frozen carcass sits inside a cardboard box in de basement down in de deep cold ground doing suspended animation.  In stock form it will do an articulate, musical clean tone.  

@rwinking you have me grinning.   JBL/Altec sound great in my Fender circuits.  My one off "Super Vibroverbed" has an Altec 418H II with a swapped in now unobtanium Classic Tone same size same iron same wire 2/4/8 ohm OT driving it.  Kills any stock Super I have ever heard like an imaginary amp Witcher...Over immediately and dead, dead, dead.  Vibroverb eater for breakfast.  It's down tuned to around 30-32 watts running 5v4 supplied 60'svintage RCA 6bg6ga backplates on adapters.  Think that gorgeous, musical Big Fender amp RCA black plate 6l6 tone set and you have it.  Bedroom volume is as easy as pant flapping pic frame rattling.  That speaker is more efficient and delivers significantly more detailed, dynamic, musical response than the 4 cheap CTS 10's it replaced because of that swapped OT.  A vintage BF Bassman 50 OT would do the same thing.  So would a Mercury Tone Clone.

Vintage 80's JBL G125-8 is one hard rock/metal speaker of all time, right up with the fabled for reason EVM 12L and 12S.  The same vintage JBL MI-12 and MI-15's are some of the best do it all guitar speakers of all time that nobody knows about.  Acoustic guitar or drop tuned droning grunge, both delivered hugely, linearly, from moderate to cop calling volumes.  great clean and great dirty tones from expensive construction now had for around a c note apiece now.  Love mine.  They ARE old school heavy.  Get a rubber tired dolly from Home Depot...hehehe.  The G125 and 135 have a 12 1/2 pound ceramic magnet and 3 inch VC, paper dust cap, the MI- series have 2 1/4 inch VC, paper dust cap, and 6 1/2 pound magnet.  MI series sound great driven by small wattage amps as well as the powerful ones.

My 2/12 Maverick Boogie is somewhere up in Seattle in the protective care of it's outlaw country playing owner.  Vintage glass made that amp more musical.  It had a wonderful clean channel, effects loop, great line out to the board, and overall was really set up well for a gigging musician... with the strong back that I don't have any more.  

Archived