Heritage Owners Club

The curse of HRW pickups

tfb

10 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

We are indeed Brothers from other Mothers! 

You however, made a choice to remain in the entertainment biz, and are damned good at what you do.  I enjoyed it then, but chose a 'normal' business career.  But I still love playing in front of folks when the opportunity arises.

Well doing a thing as an hobby sometimes can be more fun that doing it as a job. Fortunately for me the electric stuff is more a hobby, while my acoustic stuff pays the bills! I do get paid in my studio to play electric stuff for people so there's that :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Really??? I've heard guitars that sounded like absolute ass, sound great with new pickups! Case in point, that PRS that I swapped pickups on!!! That guitar defined the term crap sounding guitar! For two years I did guitar setups and repairs at my house before I went absolute full-time as a musician, and I can't count the amount of times pickups, and correct value pots too, totally transformed guitars. I did hundreds of guitar pickup swaps! Yes, there are many people that no matter what they do will never sound good, no matter what pickup are in there guitar, for many reasons. But assuming someone can actually play, and assuming they have fairly decent ears, I'm 100% positive pickups can make a difference in most guitars for them. Once again, just my opinion, but informed by actual experience! 

I am a little off my game with COVID. I should have stated more accurately.  "Many Players who can't"  I also have a certain taste in pickups(Rough cast A2, slightly overwound) with tube amps and closed back low watt speakers

We all know you can make anything sound great.

6 hours ago, yoslate said:

Can I get a witness?!

Doing photography for a few years as my main gig ruined my love for the craft.  It took me several years to get back in the saddle. 

18 hours ago, Steiner said:

I call BS.

Me too.  Enough talk.  Someone who has an HRW needs to take it apart and find out what is inside.  Maybe he shielded each winding, changed the magnets or used a choke and capacitor to the guts?  I am fine with Ren keeping this to himself.  I saw him mowing his lawn one day and his pants were slipping.  I wish he had kept this to himself too.  ?

6 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

I am a little off my game with COVID. I should have stated more accurately.  "Many Players who can't"  I also have a certain taste in pickups(Rough cast A2, slightly overwound) with tube amps and closed back low watt speakers

We all know you can make anything sound great.

That makes sense, and I've liked the rough cast alnico II magnets that I've tried. I only have 1 closed back cabinet, a 2X12 with Celestion G12M speakers and it's mated to a Marshall 18 watt stye amp and that's a pretty good combo. 

Sorry to hear you got COVID. How long have you had it?

PK,  if you do decide to try some cryogenics,  I suggest you start with dry ice, which is solid and about -80C.   Liquid nitrogen is almost -200C, and being a liquid, it's trickier to handle.  You can spill it and if it gets on your skin, it's a nasty burn immediately (I've seen it happen).    You really need a vacuum insulated dewar flask to transport it safely, along with proper insulated gloves.  

Dry ice can be held in a normal cooler.  

If I do liquid nitrogen, I'll find someone who works in a lab, has access to the equipment, and knows what they are doing with it. I don't want to get injured. Dry ice is a good idea. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to send a public, if belated (I forgot once it stopped emailing me notifications of new posts, though that's not an excuse), apology to @rockabilly69: I was rude to you and intentionally so, so I'm sorry for that.  I will claim it was because it was late in the evening and I was not completely sober, but that's also no excuse.

That being said, I think it's important that there really is no ordering of pickups (or guitars, or any of this) from bad to good: good and bad are what the player does with them.  Jimmy Page did great things with a guitar made pretty much from cardboard.  And I have a beautifully-hand-made copy of a very cheap and crappy 1950s-1960s amp, which is wonderful, if limited.

Still, I have no excuse for being rude, and I'm sorry.

35 minutes ago, tfb said:

I just want to send a public, if belated (I forgot once it stopped emailing me notifications of new posts, though that's not an excuse), apology to @rockabilly69: I was rude to you and intentionally so, so I'm sorry for that.  I will claim it was because it was late in the evening and I was not completely sober, but that's also no excuse.

That being said, I think it's important that there really is no ordering of pickups (or guitars, or any of this) from bad to good: good and bad are what the player does with them.  Jimmy Page did great things with a guitar made pretty much from cardboard.  And I have a beautifully-hand-made copy of a very cheap and crappy 1950s-1960s amp, which is wonderful, if limited.

Still, I have no excuse for being rude, and I'm sorry.

Thank you for that, but no need to apologize, I wasn't offended, your opinion, my opinion, who cares :) 

It's just art, and what we do with the equipment we like is what counts. I personally don't like HRWs, you do. We both expressed our opinion, and it's only a forum. If I lived by you, I would buy you a drink, or go hear your band play, or both. 

Archived