Heritage Owners Club

I kinda felt bad for this kid at GC

brentrocks

So I walked into my local GC today....just looking to see if they had any new cool used guitars in.   I see this beautiful Heritage H150, Tobacco Burst, monster top!

I asked the guy behind the counter to check it out....he says, "ITS GOT A HEADSTOCK REPAIR!"   I'm like, $1499 for a H150 with a headstock repair....NO WAY!!!

Well, there's more to the story....the store had purchased it from the original owner.   The kid that bought it for the store, set it on a guitar stand behind the counter....and then later accidently knocked it off the stand, cracking the headstock!  That kid must have been beside himself!!!

They had their in house tech do the repair.

The guitar needed a lot of TLC...all the hardware was rusted and pitted, the frets were heavily tarnished, the fretboard was friggin nasty and everything else was nasty too...LOL.    I talked to the manager and negotiated a deal and brought it home!

I completely tore the guitar down...cleaned and polished.  Installed a set of locking Grovers and a set of 57 Classics, along with a new tailpieces and ABR.  Its a little over 9 lbs, 60s neck, one piece body, heavily figured top.   It turned out pretty good....the repair isn't the greatest, but it plays great and has awesome tone!!!

IMG_7694.JPG

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7691.JPG

29 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

I'd hit that filler with some sandpaper, and clean up that repair with some proper finishing, and while you're at it, you could fix that booboo on the headstock face.

This!  Brent, you could improve that headstock job 100%.

I agree.  That could look better with a little work.

A luthier i know recently said, to paraphrase,  what's the big deal with cracks?  Guitars have lots of cracks.  The top has a crack down the center.  The neck and body joint is a big crack.  Where the maple cap joins the mahogany is a crack.  Any internal bracing has a crack where it joins the top.

What's important is how secure that crack is.

I would clean it up because who wants to have to look at someone's ugly crack!

1 hour ago, MartyGrass said:

I agree.  That could look better with a little work.

A luthier i know recently said, to paraphrase,  what's the big deal with cracks?  Guitars have lots of cracks.  The top has a crack down the center.  The neck and body joint is a big crack.  Where the maple cap joins the mahogany is a crack.  Any internal bracing has a crack where it joins the top.

What's important is how secure that crack is.

I would clean it up because who wants to have to look at someone's ugly crack!

Haha, great points, all!!

6 hours ago, brentrocks said:

39AC9695-FB5C-4502-BEFA-3436578E93F7.jpeg

2B10F419-2905-4AE5-9522-8DCF2E4F8187.jpeg

B57DCED5-460F-4593-A446-D64D3A2ACE3E.jpeg

Now you're getting somewhere, I think it looks quite a bit better, but you still got a ways to go. To get it looking better I think you're going have to get down to some raw wood and then build back the finish. Another good thing you can get a better idea of the idea of the damage to the guitar.

1 hour ago, rockabilly69 said:

Now you're getting somewhere, I think it looks quite a bit better, but you still got a ways to go. To get it looking better I think you're going have to get down to some raw wood and then build back the finish. Another good thing you can get a better idea of the idea of the damage to the guitar.

Remember, Brent will sell it back to the kid eventually. 

6 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I'm about to embark on a H-555 headstock repair renovation.  It's the same sort of story.  The break was repaired without a lot of concern about esthetics.  It's otherwise a beautiful instrument.  Brent's H-150 has one of the best tops I've seen.

OMG! YOu got me all paranoid! I am going to look at all of my axes with stingers and see if anyone tried to cover a break!

Nice job Brent!  Your skills in the repair and finishing department improve with each job you complete. Hard to believe the tech at GC did such a (blank) job in the first place.  Looking forward to more pictures!  Superb looking guitar by the way, that top is fantastic!

Archived