Heritage Owners Club

2021 HERITAGE CUSTOM CORE H150....DEEP THOUGHTS

brentrocks

9 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

First off a studio with custom shop pickups still has the crap rocker joint instead of a proper neck joint, and most had weight relief, also they had nashville bridges and heavyweight tailpieces, so I never found them to be particularly good guitars without modding. Not that there aren't some good studios out there,  but if I want a stripped down gib-son I'm buying a used historic junior or special. And the pickups in the studio line weren't the same that were in the historic line, most studios used the 490 498 pair which may be good for hard rocking, but for the vintage tone I like I find them muddy. Some used the burst buckers but were not the same as the custom shop versions, and studios NEVER used the custom-buckers which are in most of the historic models now, and are my absolute favorite Gibson pickup.

That said, I would like a stripped down H150, but I would more like to see a custom core with hide glue in the joints, no truss-rod sheath, a proper ABR, PIO caps  and kluson style tuners. It would cost them very little to add these specs, and I would think they could woo more Gib-son custom shop buyers to heritage! 

Perfect! I wasn't suggesting that Heritage build a H150 Studio model exactly the same way that Gibson would build it. Heritage could build an H150 model without chambering it (although the third generation style of chambering doesn't sound terrible, but it is expensive) and Heritage could do that long tennon thing, eliminate the drinking straws in the truss rod cavity, then instead of hide glue (which is probably a pain in the keester to handle) they could just use absolute minimal Tightbond III so that the glue doesn't substract from the resonance of the guitar and then install high end pots & caps to go with a set of Seymour Duncan PG's or 59's for pickups (people will always install their own favorite pickups anyway) and a widely popular medium c-ish neck carve . Done! I see a Heritage H150 Studio model Silverburst on it's way to my house right now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a fine looking guitar, Brent. The next addition to my collection of stringed instruments will probably be a CC. I actually have a Gibbons up for sale here. Every offer in the last few days has been a trade, but nothing I was interested in. 

Brent, were the nuts/threads on the string posts stripped? Or are you talking about the wood screws holding the tuners into the back of the headstock?

Strange as I have found Grovers to be good quality in the past. Although who knows where they are getting made these days

5 minutes ago, bolero said:

Brent, were the nuts/threads on the string posts stripped? Or are you talking about the wood screws holding the tuners into the back of the headstock?

Strange as I have found Grovers to be good quality in the past. Although who knows where they are getting made these days

Its the string post screws....actually I think the biggest problem is that the tuners are not the right depth for the headstock.   There's not enough thread to grab and tighten.  My locking grovers worked perfectly.

1 hour ago, PunkKitty said:

Beautiful guitar, but the tuning heads just look odd to me. They look like something I'd find in a Chinese import. I would at least expect Grover locking tuners or Hipshots on such a high end instrument. 

I agree....thats my biggest and only complaint about this guitar.

The Orange Drop caps could also be improved to Mojo PIO or something similar. Even Epiphone uses orange drops. Again, when I'm paying for a premium guitar, I expect premium parts. And I agree that the pickguard should be real wood. 

1 hour ago, PunkKitty said:

The Orange Drop caps could also be improved to Mojo PIO or something similar. Even Epiphone uses orange drops. Again, when I'm paying for a premium guitar, I expect premium parts. And I agree that the pickguard should be real wood. 

I didn’t realize that orange drop caps we’re not a somewhat premium part? I thought they were average or above average but I guess I was wrong. LOL

12 minutes ago, brentrocks said:

I didn’t realize that orange drop caps we’re not a somewhat premium part? I thought they were average or above average but I guess I was wrong. LOL

Hell, I always considered Orange Drops to be premium as well. I just put some Seth’s in my H150 this morning and went with those over the pio Vitamin Qs’ I had lying around. 

1 hour ago, davesultra said:

Hell, I always considered Orange Drops to be premium as well. I just put some Seth’s in my H150 this morning and went with those over the pio Vitamin Qs’ I had lying around. 

When it comes to electronics in a guitar…. @PunkKittysays the sky is yellow, I’d believe her. 

Orange Drops are about average to high average. They are really similar to just about every other poly film cap dipped in some bright orange plastic. Fun fact: for most repairs that I do, I use poly film caps that I buy in bulk from electronic supply places on ebay, etc. Sonically, they just aren't that different. I use PIO caps for repairs and people that I care about and people that pay extra for them. 

On 9/3/2021 at 11:30 AM, davesultra said:

Ha! I went through the exact same thing. I had an incredible ‘06 Studio (pre weight relief) that was easily one of the very Les Pauls I’d ever had. Sold it cuz I just had to have a Standard. Sure regret that move, as I still think about that Studio model a lot.

I have pondered multiple times, selling my 1996 Gemstone Studio model with P-90's but whenever I take it out, I quickly change my mind. Nobody can convince me that it is NOT a nice LP guitar, killer tone, and that Gemstone Sapphire blue that is now aging nicely, well, it ends up being a keeper. Don't need no dang binding!

5 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

I miss the real wood finger rests and the Mother of Pearl inlay. These things were a very distinctive part of their signature style for a long time.

Unlike that company in TN, Heritage has always used REAL MOP inlays Danny and continues to do so. 

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

I have pondered multiple times, selling my 1996 Gemstone Studio model with P-90's but whenever I take it out, I quickly change my mind. Nobody can convince me that it is NOT a nice LP guitar, killer tone, and that Gemstone Sapphire blue that is now aging nicely, well, it ends up being a keeper. Don't need no dang binding!

This would be a good time/place to post a photo of said Gemstone... if it indeed you are a team player.

Since the CC is truly a custom shop guitar, why would it not be possible to specify the tuning machines of choice?

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

Unlike that company in TN, Heritage has always used REAL MOP inlays Danny and continues to do so. 

Well, don't tell ME Will, tell Sweetwater. They are showing these models as follows:

Standard models:  Fingerboard Inlay Pearloid Trapezoids

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H150StOS--heritage-standard-h-150-electric-guitar-original-sunburst

Custom Core models: Fingerboard Inlay Acrylic Trapezoids

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H150CCATS--heritage-artisan-aged-custom-core-h-150-tobacco-sunburst

7 minutes ago, HANGAR18 said:

Well, don't tell ME Will, tell Sweetwater. They are showing these models as follows:

Standard models:  Fingerboard Inlay Pearloid Trapezoids

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H150StOS--heritage-standard-h-150-electric-guitar-original-sunburst

Custom Core models: Fingerboard Inlay Acrylic Trapezoids

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H150CCATS--heritage-artisan-aged-custom-core-h-150-tobacco-sunburst

Well that is interesting to say the least. Either I was mislead for a couple decades, OR Sweetwater has it wrong. Maybe Paul, Guy or somebody that sells these things as a dealer should chime in and set the record straight. I would even thing Brent would know, as many as he has had. 

23 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

Beautiful guitar, but the tuning heads just look odd to me. They look like something I'd find in a Chinese import. I would at least expect Grover locking tuners or Hipshots on such a high end instrument. 

They look like Gotohs to me which, depending on the model can be great tuners. The stock custom core tuners look like 1:16 ratio Gotoh SG381s with the AB20 knob (grover style).

https://g-gotoh.com/product/sg381/?lang=en

Archived