Heritage Owners Club

You have to be kidding.

ElChoad

9 minutes ago, bolero said:

Isn't it important to use a brass scouring pad, so you don't scrape up the tip of your iron?

The one I used is copper coated, but I can't remember if that was what was recommended or just what was available.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stabbing the tip of an iron repeatedly into a ball of steel wool ( or anything harder than brass ) to clean it off, has got to be more abrasive than sandpaper?

Which is also not recommended, if you want your tips to last

I'm not an expert, but it's worth considering

Cool. 6 feet of old school push-back braided wire. I will pick up a new multi-meter on Thursday. My Fluke has gone missing. I will figure this out. I have pots, wire, a soldering iron, and free time. I got this. 

PXL_20210929_021125135.jpg

So I ordered this. Good reviews. Doesn't hurt to try. I CAN do this. 

The Original X-Tronic 3020-XTS • 75W Soldering Iron Station Kit • 2 Helping Hands • 5 Extra Tips • Roll of Solder • Brass Sponge & Flux • Tweezers • Solder Sucker • C/F, Calibrate & Sleep Features! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086624LXB/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_PTHRQ1CB6Z4S4D4NNGB7

I have a roll of 60/40 here already. It comes with another roll of 60/40. I have old pots and 6 feet of vintage braid solder. I have a multimeter to test and retest. Once I make myself comfortable, I will work on my H-150. Not before. I am patient. If I don't feel comfortable, I won't do it. But I am pretty sure I will get it all ironed out. (Pun totally intended.?)

Okay, so today I took a few pots that I had laying around and about a foot and a half of vintage braid wire, and tried my skills. I think the idea of doing the soldering is much more intimidating than the actual act. Why have I waited all these years to do something that is really not that hard? I got this. New pickups go in Friday.

So today I took the leap. SD 59d are gone, replaced with Wolfetone Legends. What an upgrade! Wolfe in truly an artist. So my Standard H-150 in now complete. Tuners replaced with Grover locking tuners with tulip buttons. TonePros locking bridge and tailpiece installed. PIO caps installed, thanks to PunkKitty. Get rid of pickguard that covers up beautiful flame. Plus, my control cavity cover now has the proper label it should have come with. I can't believe I was so worried about doing a little wiring and soldering. It's really not a big deal. 

So I finally got some time with the wife and daughter gone this morning. I ran my H-150 with the Legends through my Black Magick Reverb and dimed it all. These pickups are AWESOME! Wolfe is truly an artist. They also sound bad-ass through my AD30. Very different than the Black Dogs I have in my LP Goldtop. 

Archived