Heritage Owners Club

You have to be kidding.

ElChoad

So I have been seriously underwhelmed by the factory SD59s in my Standard H-150. I ordered an upgrade. Wolfetone Legends. I placed my order last Thursday, the 9th of September. According to the shipping order, I should see them Friday. Does this seem normal, or should I be prepared to be disappointed? Just over a week seems pretty damned quick for custom pickups. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's legit. I've ordered a few sets from Wolfetone recently. Excellent customer service and fast turnaround. Wolfe wants to make sure that things are right for you so he will work with you. And the prices are very fair. And I agree about the 59's. They are better when you swap the A5 magnet for A2, but I really wish the factory would use Seths as the standard or use proprietary pickups like the Harmony and the CC lines. If they can get a good pickup for the Harmonys and keep the price where they are, they should be able to do the same with the 150 line. And I have a Harmony Rebel. The stock pickups are great.

31 minutes ago, ElChoad said:

So I have been seriously underwhelmed by the factory SD59s in my Standard H-150. I ordered an upgrade. Wolfetone Legends. I placed my order last Thursday, the 9th of September. According to the shipping order, I should see them Friday. Does this seem normal, or should I be prepared to be disappointed? Just over a week seems pretty damned quick for custom pickups. 

Those are killer pickups, his best take on a PAF!  And Wolfe has the best customer service that I know of. I've never waited for than a week with pickups from him! And I've never liked SD 59s either. I don't know what your pickup installing skills are like, but if you know what you're doing, I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed in your new pickups. 

I wish Heritage could use the better pickups. I have had a couple guitars over the years. I have never found a set of Duncans that have made me stop and say "these things are awesome". Normally, I find what I am looking for used on eBay, but this time I am pretty sure of what I want. (Not that I have ever gone wrong with BKPs.)

5 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

Those are killer pickups, his best take on a PAF!  And Wolfe has the best customer service that I know of. I've never waited for than a week with pickups from him! And I've never liked SD 59s either. I don't know what your pickup installing skills are like, but if you know what you're doing, I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed in your new pickups. 

My soldering skills are not up to par. Everything that goes along with it? Great. It frustrates the people that I give my stuff to. Just switch this, I can do the rest.

Well at least you know what you can and can't do :) And yes, Wolfe is amazing with  his turnaround times! If you like the PAF sound you will love the Legends!

Check out this set of Wolfetones that I put into a PRS Custom 22 that I got in trade. I don't typically like PRS guitars, and when I plugged this one in, it reminded me of just what I don't like about PRS guitars, but after I put in a Wolfetone Dr VIntage in the neck, and a Marshallhead in the bridge, I instantly loved the sound of it!

clean

dirty

It sounds like this company isn't afraid to work to get your money.  I would fairly complex transformers when I was in electronics.  A tough one, 6 or so different wires, would take 8 hours or more if you hustled and had your game on.  Making a pickup shouldn't be that complicated with the small amount of wires used -not that I know how that works.  They know their craft and they want to give you the best service they can.  I say hell yeah!  Good for them and good for you! 

Bring those things down to Alabama and I will do the soldering for you free of charge.  ?

9 hours ago, ElChoad said:

On a side note, I researched a LOT of pickup makers. For the most part, they were anywhere from 6-18 weeks out. I never thought Wolfe would be this quick.

He probably has a stockpile of them ready to ship. No other explanation. 

9 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

It's legit. I've ordered a few sets from Wolfetone recently. Excellent customer service and fast turnaround. Wolfe wants to make sure that things are right for you so he will work with you. And the prices are very fair. And I agree about the 59's. They are better when you swap the A5 magnet for A2, but I really wish the factory would use Seths as the standard or use proprietary pickups like the Harmony and the CC lines. If they can get a good pickup for the Harmonys and keep the price where they are, they should be able to do the same with the 150 line. And I have a Harmony Rebel. The stock pickups are great.

Who is Wolfe?

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

Who is Wolfe?

Wolfe Mcleod.  Winder in Seattle.  He's crossed paths with a lot of hitters in the Pacific Northwest (eg. Jason Lollar).  Been in business since the mid-nineties.  His pickups are really nice  terrific.  And as has been testified, customer service second to none.  Great phone hang! 

4 hours ago, ElNumero said:

He probably has a stockpile of them ready to ship. No other explanation. 

Friday, he told me he would build them early this week. Maybe he had a pair, maybe he made them. Either way, I will be happy as long as they are what I ordered. ?

5 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Not true, for my last set, we talked for about an hour on what I wanted and he custom wound them the next day.

We didn't actually talk on the phone. We exchanged about a dozen emails. I am fairly certain he completely understood what I am looking for. He seems like a pretty smart guy.

40 minutes ago, brentrocks said:

I’m usually not a fan of 59s either but they sound great in this 137.   Maybe because it’s all mahogany???

957AABDF-02F6-462A-8B60-76FF8B03D33B.jpeg

This reminds me of a Gibson I once had. 2012 Studio Nitrous. Electric Lime was the name of the color. I bought it used at least than a year old. It had Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell pickups. I will see if I can post a pic. 

1 hour ago, brentrocks said:

I’m usually not a fan of 59s either but they sound great in this 137.   Maybe because it’s all mahogany???

957AABDF-02F6-462A-8B60-76FF8B03D33B.jpeg

This is what I'm talking about. I should have kept it.

1403736094284.jpg

17 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Not true, for my last set, we talked for about an hour on what I wanted and he custom wound them the next day.

Well then that tells you he is not backlogged with orders. 

It may be a little bit before I get them put in. I have to find somebody that has the time to do it. I hate giving up my favorite guitar for more than a couple days. The local liters seem to take their own sweet time. I had my Gibson LP rewired and it took ao the and a half. A lot of bullshit errors, but I only paid for parts, no labor.

27 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

What did I tell you! I can't wait to hear your review. 

It may be a little bit before I get them put in. The local luthiers seem to work at their own pace. I had a Les Paul rewired, and it took a month and a half. Granted, I only paid for parts, the labor was comped. A lot of clerical mistakes. The work was great, but I hate giving up my #1 for more than a couple days. 

11 minutes ago, ElChoad said:

It may be a little bit before I get them put in. The local luthiers seem to work at their own pace. I had a Les Paul rewired, and it took a month and a half. Granted, I only paid for parts, the labor was comped. A lot of clerical mistakes. The work was great, but I hate giving up my #1 for more than a couple days. 

It's four solder joints, got any friends that are good at soldering? I call a job like this "the ol' in and out" :)

Archived