Heritage Owners Club

Why do so many prefer the 530 to the 525?

zguitar71

So first let me say I don’t actually own either. I have played both and I do own an original 225 from the 50s and played many 330s. Assuming all things are equal like the bridge, tail piece and pickups I will always gravitate to the single cutaway 525 over 530. The neck is set farther out on the 30 (unless it is a vintage one) but even with that extra neck, the access by the body is luxurious on the 25, at least for me. When I have my thumb on the back of the neck I hit my knuckles on the horn of the 30 but have major clearance on the 25. The pickup selector is also easier to get to fast and not encumbered by the knobs close by. These are just my personal issues really but the functionality of the (2)525 is just better imo. The 225 and 525 are both out of production and the 330/530 just keep going so apparently I’m the odd man out with my opinions but since I’m over 50 I get to start playing the role of the stubborn old man. 

It comes down to which of these two fine guitars you like best. 

I bought the very first H-530 built by the factory.  However, after scoring a H-525, it simply suited me better.  Sold the 530 and ended up buying two 525's over the years.

YMMV.

I don't have a 530, but I have a 525 and a 535, and I've played the 530.   The two are completely different animals in terms of playability.   The 530 was the same as the 535 in terms of the way it felt.   For me, they are extremely comfortable.    The 525 is more difficult for me to play because it doesn't sit on the lap the same, which moves my left hand position.    When standing it becomes more comfortable.  

My 525 is louder than the 530 I played.    I tend to keep thicker strings on the 525, which means that I don't do bends the same way.   Upper fret reach on the 525 is more limited. 

Of the three,  the 535 is my favorite.   That's probably because I play rock and blues more than jazz. 

Both the 525 and 530 are laminate tops.   The 575 is carved top.  

I actually like the laminate sound, which is one reason I ended up with the 525.  I had played LK/Kuz's 525 at PSP and when LK decided to get his 150 (the blue one, I think)  I jumped at the chance.  It's a stellar guitar.

I have played both and owned both. Although I love them both I prefer playing the H-525 more. It just fits me better if that makes sense.

I recently scored a H-525 and can't put it down. My other guitars are getting jealous.

I'm in the queue at Heritage on a Custom Build H-525. Hopefully soon.

I like the comments. The 525 works for me but I completely get that it may not be the right fit for others and the 530 is. I agree that both are killer guitars for sure. I with they still made the 525, at least not upon a custom shop request and big $. 

MatryGrass, nice tone and chops! Laying down some convincing arguments for the 530. 

Archived