Heritage Owners Club

Playing "On Green Dolphin Street" with Sweet16

busujiujitsu

@busujiujitsu...Well done!! 

I remember my first time playing "Green Dolphin Street", sitting in with a jazz trio (Piano, Double Bass and Drums) several years ago.  I was not familiar with it, but they wanted to open with that tune.  I was playing my then, brand new Heritage H555 into a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 amp.  (Killer rig!) 

They put the chart on my music stand, counted off and began.  Yikes!  Somehow I made it through, even faking a Wes-style solo, following the chord changes.  Afterwards, I breathed a sigh of relief that it was over.  The rest of the evening was a blur, and I even had fun.  But it made me aware of the need to learn and practice standards.   

Your rendition is 10000% better than I played back in the day.  LOL!  

Keep up the good work.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:42 AM, Yooper said:

Wonderful! 

If you want to really learn how to play the guitar, learn some standards. You don't have to be Joe Pass to make beautiful music.

Thank you! 

Of course I love and respect all jazzguitar giants.

But I especially love Geroge Burnes, Johnny Smith and now Jimmy Bruno. 

On 10/3/2021 at 3:43 AM, Gitfiddler said:

@busujiujitsu...Well done!! 

I remember my first time playing "Green Dolphin Street", sitting in with a jazz trio (Piano, Double Bass and Drums) several years ago.  I was not familiar with it, but they wanted to open with that tune.  I was playing my then, brand new Heritage H555 into a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 amp.  (Killer rig!) 

They put the chart on my music stand, counted off and began.  Yikes!  Somehow I made it through, even faking a Wes-style solo, following the chord changes.  Afterwards, I breathed a sigh of relief that it was over.  The rest of the evening was a blur, and I even had fun.  But it made me aware of the need to learn and practice standards.   

Your rendition is 10000% better than I played back in the day.  LOL!  

Keep up the good work.

Thank you always Gitfiddler. I really appreciate.
I have so many same stories too?

H-555 is very rare now.
I imagened you playing that song with sweet H-555 sound!

8 hours ago, busujiujitsu said:

They put the chart on my music stand, counted off and began. 

That's how they get guitarists to turn down as we all know.

On 10/2/2021 at 2:43 PM, Gitfiddler said:

Afterwards, I breathed a sigh of relief that it was over.  The rest of the evening was a blur....

Been there.  Done that...with the attendant feeling of, "Why am I all of a sudden running a fever of nearly 500 degrees?" when everyone looks across the stage at you with that "next sixteen is yours," face.

29 minutes ago, yoslate said:

Been there.  Done that...with the attendant feeling of, "Why am I all of a sudden running a fever of nearly 500 degrees?" when everyone looks across the stage at you with that "next sixteen is yours," face.

Amen, brother!!

Archived