Heritage Owners Club

Picked up a nice project last night…

brentrocks

2015 Heritage “PLAIN TOP” H535

I believe this was a model introduced by Jay Wolfe.   

It’s stamped #2.  It has a Seth lover in the bridge and a 59 in the neck, factory.  A nice n beefy 50s neck.  Beautiful almond sunburst.   

I picked this up locally last night.   The previous owner had an unfortunate accident with his strap…ALWAYS INSTALL STRAP LOCKS CHILDREN!!   Resulted in yanking the cord and jack, breaking the rim.  

Im going to install a Les Paul style jack plate over it to bring stability back to the input jack.   I figure by the time I pay someone to fix it, I’ll have more into the guitar than it’s worth.  

I didn’t really NEED another 535, but the price was too good to walk away from!!!  Especially with a heritage case included.  

545B45B4-FB88-41DD-9301-2A1A8618B263.jpeg

6DD2B908-92DD-45B4-A70D-6D99EA32AB22.jpeg

22 minutes ago, LK155 said:

Great looking H535, Brent.

That looks like a fairly straightforward repair (famous last words, right?), as long as you can figure out a way to get at it.

I’m Always up for a challenge Lyle

Looks like it can be fixed, my guess is some sort of brace/shim behind the input jack going through a pickup cavity.  Have a magnet to hold in in place while clamped from the front.  My worthless $.02 of advice anyway.

Not a bad deal, surprised the owner didn't spend the cash to fix it.

Oh, for the record, I stopped using straplocks.  I've found over the years, the removal of the original screws then replaced cause the wood to weaken and the screws to work themselves out.  I've had on many occasions found the strap button nearly falling off.  Once it did, during a show... while playing a solo.... nearly dropped the guitar.  But instead, I played on one knee... band thought I was being cool when  I felt anything but.

7 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Looks like it can be fixed, my guess is some sort of brace/shim behind the input jack going through a pickup cavity.  Have a magnet to hold in in place while clamped from the front.  My worthless $.02 of advice anyway.

Not a bad deal, surprised the owner didn't spend the cash to fix it.

Oh, for the record, I stopped using straplocks.  I've found over the years, the removal of the original screws then replaced cause the wood to weaken and the screws to work themselves out.  I've had on many occasions found the strap button nearly falling off.  Once it did, during a show... while playing a solo.... nearly dropped the guitar.  But instead, I played on one knee... band thought I was being cool when  I felt anything but.

Yep. The only times I've ever dropped a guitar was when I was using straplocks.

2 minutes ago, brentrocks said:

Really?   Did the lock come off the strap or guitar?

The lock, still attached to the strap let go of the piece screwed into the body of the guitar. More than one brand of straplocks too. One of the times it seems that I didn't adequately pull the spring loaded lever back quite far enough, and then while holding that piece back it seems that I didn't press it hard enough into the piece on the body and then release the spring loaded thing while maintaining downward pressure at the same time. So while it seemed like it was connected properly, it was later revealed that it wasn't quite seated properly and the latch came apart. User error that time but a very difficult mechanism to operate.

5 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

Yep. The only times I've ever dropped a guitar was when I was using straplocks.

This happened to a buddy but he caught the guitar before it cracked the neck.  I use extra large strap locks with a washer and just leave the strap on all the time. 

1 hour ago, bolero said:

I'd use a metal jack plate on that repair, the plastic ones aren't very strong. Did you glue the wood back together too?

That thing is going to be sold before we know it.  When they come into Brent's hangar for repair it doesn't take long...

10 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

The lock, still attached to the strap let go of the piece screwed into the body of the guitar. More than one brand of straplocks too. One of the times it seems that I didn't adequately pull the spring loaded lever back quite far enough, and then while holding that piece back it seems that I didn't press it hard enough into the piece on the body and then release the spring loaded thing while maintaining downward pressure at the same time. So while it seemed like it was connected properly, it was later revealed that it wasn't quite seated properly and the latch came apart. User error that time but a very difficult mechanism to operate.

That's exactly what happened to me.  Doesn't matter what brand I use.

The only thing I use now are these:

0990819000_merch_frt_001_nr.jpg

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

That's exactly what happened to me.  Doesn't matter what brand I use.

The only thing I use now are these:

0990819000_merch_frt_001_nr.jpg

My favorite strap buttons are the stock PRS ones though many PRS enthusiasts say then don't like them because it's too difficult to get the straps on them. But, I have a technique that works great, and those straps stay put. But these Fender keepers look like a good idea for my non-prs guitars.

Archived