Heritage Owners Club

Has anyone heard of the VHT D-50?

PunkKitty

On 12/5/2021 at 12:15 PM, bobmeyrick said:

I've seen Robben Ford a few times, both with and without the Dumble. I think when he's touring in the UK/Europe without the Dumble these days his amp of choice is a Super Reverb, with the Zendrive or similar for the lead tones. Given how valuable his Dumble is, it makes sense to keep it at home. Having said that, in 2013 he played the Holmfirth Picturedrome (a converted cinema in a little Yorkshire town in Mark555's part of the world) and after the gig a few of us gear nerds were hanging round the front of the stage taking photos of hs pedalboard, and his guitar tech was kind enough to bring the amp over for us to photograph. We were not worthy... ? His guitar for most of the time was the Epiphone Riviera.

A few years ago I saw Larry Carlton at the Birmingham Glee Club, and he was using a Bludotone setup. I was able to speak to him afterwards and he said has one kept over here for when he's touring in Europe/UK. A very nice guy.

interesting pictures and story
he now plays a Vertex Boost, Hermida Audio Zendrive, Cornerstone Music Gear Gladio SC called preamp but it's an OD IMO, first released as Dual Chan (which I own)

refs.:
- video on IG
- YT: 

on that video he says something about a mod on his fender amp

(sorry for a late comment)

20 hours ago, Gianluca said:

interesting pictures and story
he now plays a Vertex Boost, Hermida Audio Zendrive, Cornerstone Music Gear Gladio SC called preamp but it's an OD IMO, first released as Dual Chan (which I own)

refs.:
- video on IG
- YT: 

on that video he says something about a mod on his fender amp

(sorry for a late comment)

These days he seems to be using Little Walter amps in preference to his Dumble, particularly in the studio and on smaller gigs. I seem to recall reading that he feels the Dumble only comes into its own in larger venues where it has room to 'breathe'. I think a lot of guitarists are finding that low-wattage amps give you the tone you want at sensible volumes, in both the studio and on small gigs.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:22 PM, rockabilly69 said:

Hey DB, have you ever been in the same room as a real Dumble? Or are you basing your opinion on internet clips? I stood in front of David Lindley's Dumble twice, for a few hours each time, and I can tell you that I've never heard an internet clip that was even close to that sound. It was glorious, whether was playing guitar or lap steel! I also stood in front of Stevie Ray Vaughn's and his was killer too!

Nope, never been around anyone that has.  Maybe Joe Bonamassa, but not sure if he was using one at the time.

Wish I could have been in front of SRV play.  But when his life tragically ended, my guitar journey just began and sadly, I didn't know who he was.  Crossfire was the first tune of his I heard that led me down a journey of guitar playing well over a decade after his passing.

29 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Wish I could have been in front of SRV play

You'd either have used earplugs or have tinnitus. He played at ear-splitting LOUD levels indoors. 

3 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

These days he seems to be using Little Walter amps in preference to his Dumble, particularly in the studio and on smaller gigs. I seem to recall reading that he feels the Dumble only comes into its own in larger venues where it has room to 'breathe'. I think a lot of guitarists are finding that low-wattage amps give you the tone you want at sensible volumes, in both the studio and on small gigs.

I agree,
I was lucky enough to be in two concerts where he was playing his Dumble, both dates in Italy, in an earlier date (July 2002) he played only two guitars for the entire set and he was the star on that stage. Great tone, great night.

Interesting those Walter Amps, thanks for sharing, I think it's the one shown in the IG Video attached in my prev comment.

3 hours ago, Yooper said:

You'd either have used earplugs or have tinnitus. He played at ear-splitting LOUD levels indoors. 

He was loud in outdoor venues, as well. I saw him August 25, 1990 at Alpine Valley. Great show, but super loud.

Archived