Heritage Owners Club

Another Heritage H-150 Custom Core Sold

HANGAR18

1 hour ago, rockabilly69 said:

But seriously if you need 48 months to pay the damn thing off can you really afford it? Why not just save up until you can? 

Exactly why I’m not buying one!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Just put the thing on paypal credit, and you'll get the low/no interest thing and the 15%, or pay through paypal and use  your best terms credit card, perhaps even one with points :) But seriously if you need 48 months to pay the damn thing off can you really afford it? Why not just save up until you can? As for picking the guitar, pick your color, have them ship it to the store, and if you don't like it, have them send it back. We are talking a pretty good savings here, so worth it to go through some effort. I notice most of the dirty lemon bursts have some killer grain. 

I like the number of payments just in case. I bought my Standard in July with 36 payments on it, and switched tuners, bridge and tailpiece, and pickups. It is one payment from being paid off. There is no penalty for early payment. I will just keep my eyes peeled for the right one at the right time. 

3 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

But seriously if you need 48 months to pay the damn thing off can you really afford it? Why not just save up until you can? 

Sometimes its cheaper to put things on payment plans than to pay cash and  remove the opportunity to engage in future earnings on those dollars.

Dont know if thats the case in this situation though.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:48 PM, rockabilly69 said:

I definitely do. In the last few years I learned to really appreciate a simple top as it's almost embarrasing for me to play a big flametop, it feels as if I'm showing off. And the last two custom shop LPs that I bought were Goldtops, which to me are my favorite. I hope Heritage adds Goldtops to the custom core lineup. To me Heritage has never got the goldtop color right, it never has the slightly green color of the originals, but with Edwin Wilson on board that could change...

GT R4.jpg

Well, Daniel, I appreciate your post but I don't agree.  When the "Gold Tops" originally came out they were about as flashy as it gets.  Certainly, more flashy than a flamed Burst top.  Gold Tops were definitely originally designed to make the ultimate impression!!!

And don't get me wrong.... I LOVE me some Gold Tops!!!!IMG_1016.JPG.375fb40c334f1d03df2b1a8ac8da17e0.JPGIMG_1695.JPG.31b2d42e67bc27cf9e20cb801f3b8230.JPG

11 hours ago, Kuz said:

Well, Daniel, I appreciate your post but I don't agree.  When the "Gold Tops" originally came out they were about as flashy as it gets.  Certainly, more flashy than a flamed Burst top.  Gold Tops were definitely originally designed to make the ultimate impression!!!

And don't get me wrong.... I LOVE me some Gold Tops!!!!IMG_1016.JPG.375fb40c334f1d03df2b1a8ac8da17e0.JPGIMG_1695.JPG.31b2d42e67bc27cf9e20cb801f3b8230.JPG

That's why I like the greener looking goldtops, they look more subdued to me. Collings do have the shade I like, and I'm sure they are great guitars, but I'm not a fan of the look of the Collings, I prefer the LP shape, pickguard, and inlays.

Actually I like the new Custom Core Heritage shape, so I hope to see some goldtops.

6 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

That's why I like the greener looking goldtops, they look more subdued to me. Collings do have the shade I like, and I'm sure they are great guitars, but I'm not a fan of the look of the Collings, I prefer the LP shape, pickguard, and inlays.

Actually I like the new Custom Core Heritage shape, so I hope to see some goldtops.

Those are actually my guitars and they are utterly amazing.  I am not comparing them directly to Heritage or Gibson, but for me they have the most comfortable neck carve I have ever played, vintage feel playability, LIGHT weight solid wood construction (no weight relief) both are under 8.4lbs, and sustain for days. I might even choose them over my McInturff.  

I would also like to play or own a Custom Core some day.  But I would get an aged Burst that looked just like Yoslate’s.

5 hours ago, Kuz said:

Those are actually my guitars and they are utterly amazing. 

I would also like to play or own a Custom Core some day.  But I would get an aged Burst that looked just like Yoslate’s.

Wow nice set!  Do tell, did you change out the bridge to farber and what pickups? 

7 hours ago, Kuz said:

Those are actually my guitars and they are utterly amazing.  I am not comparing them directly to Heritage or Gibson, but for me they have the most comfortable neck carve I have ever played, vintage feel playability, LIGHT weight solid wood construction (no weight relief) both are under 8.4lbs, and sustain for days. I might even choose them over my McInturff.  

Well Rob swears that Custom Core is the real deal so that's probably a good plan. Good to see that you got a Collings in both P90 and humbucker :) My LPs are 8.1 lbs and 8.3lbs, so if I got a Custom Core, I would try to find the heaviest one I could find, as I think they need to be closer to 9lbs to get to the tone I would be chasing. The heaviest one I've seen yet is 8lbs 10 ounces and that was a plaintop. I would be selling my H150s to fund the Custom Core, and they are 9.0 lbs and 9.4 lbs. And there's something in the (slightly) heavier body tone of these guitars that I think I would miss if I sold either one of them off. In my experience, I'm seeing the lighter ones seem to get that airy almost Tele like tone, which I love, but the heavier ones get more lower mid balls (harder rock style tone) that I like too. 

But frankly, as I discussed with Rob, I compared the features of the custom cores to my H150s, which as you know, are highly modified, and I just can't seem to part with the H150s, One maybe, but not both for sure. I love the new top carve on the custom cores, and I would really love to hear the new pickups in person, but my H150s are DIALED with the exact stuff that I like, so it's really hard to part with them. So it comes down to who sets up the final guitar better (fretwork, nut, pickups, electronics, hardware), and frankly I think the work that I personally did to mine cannot be matched by somebody that is held to limitations of making a production guitar, especially the final setup. I slaved over the fret leveling and nut slotting. I've got un-potted pickups that seem to hear more than just the string, and I also pulled the Faber push-inserts and put in the screw inserts (Faber BSW-kit), which I think that was the final piece to the puzzle for me in getting them to sound the way I like, and that was over a year ago.

I haven't touched either one of H150s since. But my winter season is coming up, and it looks like it's going to be a good one, so if I have an extremely good season, I may have to buck up for a custom core.

So, I hope they take off to the point of making a goldtop version of the custom cores, or that I at least find an interesting looking plain top. Something with a nicely shot burst with just a little peekaboo style flame, or maybe a bit of blister or birdseye. I'm keeping my eyes out for one. One thing for sure there aren't many custom cores showing up in Utah yet. As I told Rob, I may just buy one from Guitar Center or Musician's Friend and if don't like it, back it goes. When I first got into Heritage guitars you could find a nice H150 with great wood all day long for between $1000 and $1300 on the used market, making them really attractive to guys like me who like modding guitars. Put another $600 - $700 worth of parts into them (pickups, wiring, hardware, etc) and you could end up with a great guitar, and if it didn't turn out great, put the stock parts back on it and sell it and not lose a dime. But prices have gone up considerably, so if I'm going to buy a custom core it better not need a thing as I wouldn't be buying to mod it.

On 11/3/2021 at 6:11 PM, HANGAR18 said:

I don't understand the appeal of a plain Maple top.

I always go for the plain wood guitars. I buy guitars to gig with and it usually isn’t long before my fingers rub through the finish on the top (I don’t use pick guards) and the finish gets dull from scratches. I want to pay for a good sounding and playing guitar but not for fancier woods. They are also much more attractive to thieves. 

3 hours ago, zguitar71 said:

I always go for the plain wood guitars. I buy guitars to gig with and it usually isn’t long before my fingers rub through the finish on the top (I don’t use pick guards) and the finish gets dull from scratches. I want to pay for a good sounding and playing guitar but not for fancier woods. They are also much more attractive to thieves. 

Plain top.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

I'm now living a short drive away from Marine Corps Base Quantico if anyone is ever in the area and wants to try my Custom Core.

What time do you get off work, Honey? 

22 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Wow nice set!  Do tell, did you change out the bridge to farber and what pickups? 

I bought both of these many years ago and honestly, they are exactly what I expect the Custom Core models are today for Heritage.  Collings reevaluated their electric guitars years back.  When they first came out, they were closer to the feel, finish, and tone of PRS guitars.  I know from a very reliable source, that Collings listen to their artists & dealers and listened to their advice that they want a vintage sounding guitar not a prettier one.  So Collings changed wood suppliers and pickup manufactures for their electric guitars.  This change was maybe within the first 5 years or so into the start of their electric guitar productions.  I played the earlier Collings electrics and the reevaluated ones... they are tonally night & day different.  

To me, the Collings City Limits are benchmark of a single cut when evaluating tone, feel, playability, and a dry LIGHT weight resonant wood.  As I have been trying to down size to the "best in class" of my electric guitar models, I went from four 150s and two McInturff Carolina Customs down to these two Collings City Limits and one remaining McInturff Carolina Custom for my single cut models.  A custom core would be nice, but I would need to play one first.  And honestly after leaving the band, the last 2-3 years I have only been playing acoustic guitar exclusively (yea, some major additions for me in the acoustic pile...)

-I did change both Collings City Limits bridges from  ABR-1s to Faber's locking ABR-1 bridges. 

-The Collings City Limits GT humbucker had Throbak ER pickups stock and they sound incredible as usual.   

-The Collings City Limits GT P90s came with Lollar P90s, of which I am normally not a huge fan (to me they normally just sound kind of sterile with no balls).  So I briefly tried some Wolftone P90s in it and I liked the original Lollar 90s sound better.  The Lollars had the right mix (in this guitar) of open & airiness where the Wolftones where (in this guitar) a little to congested sounding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 8:19 AM, davesultra said:

I once had a dog named “Mojo”. He passed away. :(

Spectrum had a cat called Moe Joe, who also passed. He was the coolest cat I had ever met. 

On 11/3/2021 at 5:33 PM, Gitfiddler said:

I've had good overall service from Sweetwater, but not always the best deal.  And I agree that their so-called "55 point inspection..." is marketing hyperbole.  The only way I'd believe that is if there were tiny Post-It notes all over my guitar and case with the initials of the employees who actually performed all 55 steps.

IF I were to consider buying a Custom Core, I would definitely shop around for the best deal. 

My SW sales engineer says they do it, so I believe him!

On 11/5/2021 at 4:29 AM, rockabilly69 said:

Just put the thing on paypal credit, and you'll get the low/no interest thing and the 15%, or pay through paypal and use  your best terms credit card, perhaps even one with points :) But seriously if you need 48 months to pay the damn thing off can you really afford it? Why not just save up until you can? As for picking the guitar, pick your color, have them ship it to the store, and if you don't like it, have them send it back. We are talking a pretty good savings here, so worth it to go through some effort. I notice most of the dirty lemon bursts have some killer grain. 

Simple. Because using other people's money makes more sense and it is convenient to get what you want now rather than waiting, saving, and having to pay more money when the price increases. Do you think the majority of people waiting in line for a C8 Corvette are laying down the $95K in cash? They are getting financing at ridiculously low rates (although the Fed may change that soon) and investing the difference in something with a much better return. 

On 10/28/2021 at 3:20 PM, skydog52 said:

Pretty close to a Brock Burst.

2015 Gibson 59 Les Paul Beauty Of The Burst Page 75 Brock | Reverb

What is Brock?

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

What is Brock?

In Les Paul history.

It was brought to light by collector Brian Brock, hence the name. It was later sold to 'burst maven Vic DaPra, so is also referred to as the "Brock/DaPra" 'burst. It is pictured in BOTB, but more importantly, it is the cover guitar on Tom Wheeler's book "American Guitar".

Vic DaPra has written many picture books on The Burst. Dave at Heritage showed me that finish in one of his books when I was trying to order something close to that color.

Burst Believers.jpg

2 hours ago, ElNumero said:

Simple. Because using other people's money makes more sense and it is convenient to get what you want now rather than waiting, saving, and having to pay more money when the price increases. Do you think the majority of people waiting in line for a C8 Corvette are laying down the $95K in cash? They are getting financing at ridiculously low rates (although the Fed may change that soon) and investing the difference in something with a much better return. 

You know what's more simple? One payment, done! If you don't have the money, sell a guitar you're not using, then repeat step one. A corvette is a whole 'nutha matter. Guitars to me are mostly impusle buys, and if I used credit to buy them, I would have ridiculously high balances. I haven't had a balance on a credit card in over 10 years, and I would like to keep it that way. I just use credit cards for their points and record keeping of expenses. 

21 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

I haven't had a balance on a credit card in over 10 years, and I would like to keep it that way.

Wise man! About 25 years ago I used a redundancy payment to pay off a loan and credit card, and ever since then I've paid the full balance on each statement. The "one in, one out" guitar buying policy is a good idea too, though I haven't always stuck to that...

Just now, bobmeyrick said:

Wise man! About 25 years ago I used a redundancy payment to pay off a loan and credit card, and ever since then I've paid the full balance on each statement. The "one in, one out" guitar buying policy is a good idea too, though I haven't always stuck to that...

I just think they are basically toys to most people here (including myself sometimes), so why go into debt for them. I make my living with guitars, and the only time I would ever consider taking a loan or using a credit card for a guitar, is if everything I own got stolen, and I had a gig tomorrow! 

Now I wish I could find the will power for one in one out :)

13 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I just think they are basically toys to most people here (including myself sometimes), so why go into debt for them. I make my living with guitars, and the only time I would ever consider taking a loan or using a credit card for a guitar, is if everything I own got stolen, and I had a gig tomorrow! 

Now I wish I could find the will power for one in one out :)

For some its not debt. Its about using someone elses money at a lower interest rate than their own money is earning.

I dont carry credit card debt but I will use zero or low interest options on some items rather than lose the potential earnings of my own money. It doesnt have to be a lot to prompt me to do that. I work out the savings in terms of daily food or frequently used household items, maybe fuel etc.

Might be that by using the cheap interest plan and not using my own money I save enough to pay for bread and milk, or a kilo of steak once a month, whatever, for 24months with the difference between the low interest plan and the earnings on my own money. Doesnt matter, if it is just bread and milk, its free..ish

If you think that is obsessive, well, it is. Once I discovered the power of compound interest as a kid Ive gone out my way to engage with it.

8 hours ago, JeffB said:

For some its not debt. Its about using someone elses money at a lower interest rate than their own money is earning.

I dont carry credit card debt but I will use zero or low interest options on some items rather than lose the potential earnings of my own money. It doesnt have to be a lot to prompt me to do that. I work out the savings in terms of daily food or frequently used household items, maybe fuel etc.

Might be that by using the cheap interest plan and not using my own money I save enough to pay for bread and milk, or a kilo of steak once a month, whatever, for 24months with the difference between the low interest plan and the earnings on my own money. Doesnt matter, if it is just bread and milk, its free..ish

If you think that is obsessive, well, it is. Once I discovered the power of compound interest as a kid Ive gone out my way to engage with it.

I admire your discipline but eventually though the item has to be paid off,  and many people don’t have the discipline that you have to make sure the money will be there when that time comes. I can’t count the number of musicians that I know that have racked up ridiculous amounts of debt because of how easy it is to buy things with credit cards. So I try to steer as many people away from that as possible. As I said, I use credit cards to buy most of my instruments but they’re paid off begore the first bill comes. I do it to get cash back points. Yesterday I got $170 cash back on a $3400 Mandolin purchase. That’s my version of free money and that’s good enough for me.

And speaking of cashback, people buying Custom Cores from musicians friend can get the 15% off and then also get reward points that can be used like cash at musicians friend. That’s a pretty good deal

10 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I admire your discipline but eventually though the item has to be paid off,  and many people don’t have the discipline that you have to make sure the money will be there when that time comes. I can’t count the number of musicians that I know that have racked up ridiculous amounts of debt because of how easy it is to buy things with credit cards. So I try to steer as many people away from that as possible. As I said, I use credit cards to buy most of my instruments but they’re paid off begore the first bill comes. I do it to get cash back points. Yesterday I got $170 cash back on a $3400 Mandolin purchase. That’s my version of free money and that’s good enough for me.

And speaking of cashback, people buying Custom Cores from musicians friend can get the 15% off and then also get reward points that can be used like cash at musicians friend. That’s a pretty good deal

I have had a Sweetwater card for almost 10 years.  I have NEVER paid so much as a penny in interest. I also am smart about how I use it. I try to keep my balance under 30% of what I have available. That is better for your credit rating. I have never had to make a balloon payment. I always pay extra because there is no penalty. I bought a Standard H-150 in July with 48 months to pay it off. It will be clear next week. Talk as badly about my choices as you want, even if they are just toys to me, but I work hard to have nice toys, and I will take full advantage of the tools at my disposal, be it good credit or awesome musical equipment. 

Archived