Heritage Owners Club

String recommendations

ElNumero

Time to string the 91 H574. Any string recommendations that might go good with this ole girl?

It all depends on the style one's playing and the sound one's trying to achieve. I like Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing Flatwound Electric Guitar Strings - Light .011-.047  for gypsy jazz music and pop music lounge music gigs. I use the the heavier TI Swings 12-50 for big band, Rock-a-Billy, blues, and swing (both kinds)  ?. It all depends what tone one is chasing. I will say the H574 with its laminate top is one of the most versatile guitars of its era and you can't go wrong with either sets. 

On 11/25/2021 at 7:43 AM, Genericmusic said:

It all depends on the style one's playing and the sound one's trying to achieve. I like Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing Flatwound Electric Guitar Strings - Light .011-.047  for gypsy jazz music and pop music lounge music gigs. I use the the heavier TI Swings 12-50 for big band, Rock-a-Billy, blues, and swing (both kinds)  ?. It all depends what tone one is chasing. I will say the H574 with its laminate top is one of the most versatile guitars of its era and you can't go wrong with either sets. 

Ive heard of the OUTfield strings but never the INfield !!! LOL

On 11/25/2021 at 7:43 AM, Genericmusic said:

So, ElNumero will need the strings that tarnish the least and collect as little dust as possible...

While I like flatwounds, sometimes I prefer something brighter but without squeaks.  The best value in round core flatwounds is Pyramids.  The king of the string is TI, but by a narrow margin.  Labella is the queen of thunk.  Chromes are not disappointing.

For a brighter sound I use either GHS Brite Flats or D'Addario Half Rounds.  These both are round wounds with the wrapping smoothed some.  To make them smoother I take it a step further.  I rub the wound strings with fine steel wool.  It only takes five to ten pull through a wad of steel wool held in your hand.  Once on the guitar I slide a StewMac plastic fret protector under the strings and use more steel wool on the top of the strings to reduce squeaks further.  Again, 5-10 strokes will do it.

The result is a brighter sound with no squeaks.

The last step I mentioned came from Johnny Smith.  He would loosely string the guitar and put a coke bottle under the strings.  He then sanded the tops of the strings.  

Archived