Heritage Owners Club

Pickup height question

Peteminorthird

I have a 2015 H535 with Seymour Duncans and wondered how much variation in tone would I be getting if I start adjusting pickup height? I expect it could affect volume.  I appreciate I can just go ahead and fool around with the pickups, but generally speaking does anyone have any experience of getting a more jazzy sound by say raising the bridge pickup a bit more? my sound is okay but I just wondered if I could give it a bit more of a fatter rounder sound. (I’m keeping the strings out of the equation for now, they are 11s, not flatrounds just for reference). I’m really just focusing on whether I can get any tonal mileage out of changing the heights of the pickups, in much of a meaningful way. Thanks in advance folks!

The short answer is yes: raising the pickup closer to the strings generally makes it sound more full (more midrange, more low end). Also, louder, so be careful about the balance with the other pickup if you use the middle switch position.

Driving the pickup height down generally makes it sound thinner and lowers the output. 

Take a measurement of where the pickups are now before you begin, and/or write down the number of turns of the adjustment screws that you make. That way it’s easy to put it back where it was. 

Highly recommended to play around with pickup height. It can make subtle or sometimes significant differences. Great fun!

That's an informative video.  However, I find that each pickup is different.  It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. 

In a guitar there are so many variables (wood species, dryness, density, scale, etc., etc.).  Each needs to be adjusted to one's own ear in order to find the desired 'sweet spot'.

• 2 months later...

I've played with my 535 pickup heights . I agree with the comments,  each pickup is different as is each players tone sensibility.  I would suggest 1 turn increments on each pickup (individually) and test , especially in the center position so you can determine the balance shift .  On mine 1 full turn on both was adequate to produce the desired change.     

I tried a set of Flatwounds ( D'addario XL 11-48) which I use on my 575 ,  a bit better suited to Jazz.

Depending on the strength of the magnets (Gretsch Dynasonics - my other fave guitars - having extremely strong magnets), the strings may lose vibration and thereby reduce sustain.  One would have to get pretty close with humbuckers to create a problem though - just use your ears, that’ll work.

I was playing around with my H555 today.  I adjusted overall pickup height, with bass and treble sides being at slightly different heights.  The only polepieces that is pretty high are for the G-string. 

I am a little more conservative than Greywolf66 on the polepiece adjustments - half a turn.

i tend to play with the volume at the top on the guitar as well as the tone knobs (tho’ I am off the full on with the neck control.  The amp ( a DRRI blackface) volume & tone controls are the adjustment, not the guitar knobs.  Supposedly using volume and tone this way lends to better sustain, I tend to agree.

The DRRI has scooped mids, your amp will be different.

I use the middle position and turn down the bridge control to taste for my jazz tone on the H555 and on my H550. The Schallers on the H550 are not as scooped as the Seymours on the H555.

Everyone hears differently.

Archived