Heritage Owners Club

I didn't think H150s had nibs?

michaeljames

I noticed my 1988 does yesterday.  Not as pronounced as Gibbys, but there.  Almost unnoticeable.  I've had a half dozen or so H150s over the years and didn't think they had them.  Either didn't notice or forgot.

They have had nibs forever.  When they put the binding on, it's after the frets are installed on the fretboard.   They have a nifty little machine that rides down the edge, trimming off the binding until it hits a fret, then it raises up and drops back down to continue.    Somewhere in my old library of the tours,  I have video of them putting the binding on the board, and the machine trimming it.  

4 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

They have had nibs forever.  When they put the binding on, it's after the frets are installed on the fretboard.   They have a nifty little machine that rides down the edge, trimming off the binding until it hits a fret, then it raises up and drops back down to continue.    Somewhere in my old library of the tours,  I have video of them putting the binding on the board, and the machine trimming it. 

I could feel the saw dust under my feet when I read this. 

23 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Thankfully, Heritage prides itself on the NIBS.  Gibson attempted to move away from them a few years ago, but all the backlash put them back on.

I just sold a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic that didn't have nibs from the factory.  Considering the thick binding that Gibson uses on production guitars, the lack of nibs was actually an improvement- it gave you more fret to play on.  I had an ES-335 where the high E string would sometimes fall off the end of the fret due to the thick binding.

That's not an issue with Heritage guitars.

I have a 1959 Gibson ES-225 and the binding is so thin and heavily rolled that the nibs are almost non existent.

So much fun to see these videos.  Brings to the surface wonderful memories of roaming the floors watching such talented and dedicated folks work their craft.  Thanks so much for sharing Rich.  

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hillhippie said:

i just had my 2009 h150 refretted, it used to have nibs. i miss the look ,but that guitar is playing better than ever!

Feel is important.  Drive on young man, drive on! 

Archived