Heritage Owners Club

Metal Zone MT2 Anyone?

Trying to find a more aggressive sound through a Fender style amp…

Found a used Metal Zone at my local shop and decided I’d try it as a Preamp pedal.

Anyone try this?  I’ve been messing around with it a bit tonight, won’t really know if it’s going to work for what I’m looking for.  I’ll see how it holds up on Thursday…

A few years back when I was in the band and I needed a thick Marshall-ish tone I did one of two things.  The amp I used was a Headstrong 'Lil King (a slightly higher watt Princeton).

1) Rat Pedal at lower gain before it got fizzy and also slightly rolled off the highs (tone knob lower)

2) I stacked several overdrive pedals together at the same time for a big distorted tone that wasn't fizzy.

Many years ago I had a Metal Zone and found it too fizzy and too... well, too... Metal sounding, not hard rock sounding. 

21 hours ago, Kuz said:

A few years back when I was in the band and I needed a thick Marshall-ish tone I did one of two things.  The amp I used was a Headstrong 'Lil King (a slightly higher watt Princeton).

1) Rat Pedal at lower gain before it got fizzy and also slightly rolled off the highs (tone knob lower)

2) I stacked several overdrive pedals together at the same time for a big distorted tone that wasn't fizzy.

Many years ago I had a Metal Zone and found it too fizzy and too... well, too... Metal sounding, not hard rock sounding. 

What would you consider the 80's rock sound?  There are some songs that run along that tone.  I don't plan on using this pedal all the time, but rather as needed....

On 1/4/2022 at 6:27 AM, DetroitBlues said:

What would you consider the 80's rock sound?  There are some songs that run along that tone.  I don't plan on using this pedal all the time, but rather as needed....

Well, certainly the Rat pedal dominated a lot of the 80s heavier guitar tones.  And then you had the Marshall high break up tones of VH and Slash with Guns N Roses.  

Archived