Heritage Owners Club

what's your favorite amp?

bolero

Umm...can I enter my #2 favorite amp?  :rolleyes:

I picked this one up last year and have really been enjoying it a LOT.  It doesn't have a ton of features or effects.  It's simply an old school, 12 watt, 5e3 design, updated by Fender's Custom Shop that sounds amazing.  They sold them as either a combo or head. 

Since I already had the matching speaker cab, I went for a slightly used head version of their Custom 57 Deluxe. 

#2...  

G6SdNm.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a favorite amp, I go for too many tones in my studio for that baloney:) This is what I use...

Studio volume Levels: Clark "Beaufort", Dirty Girl "Reverb", Winnie Thomas Princeton Reverb Clone, 1961 Ampeg Mercury, Mesa "DC2", Vox "AC-15", 1950 Webster Chicago 166-1, Built by friend Marshall 18 watt variant called the "English Rose"

Stage Levels: Victoria "Regal II", 1964 Fender "Deluxe Reverb", TopHat "Club Deluxe"

interesting thread

depends on many things, one amp I'd like to enjoy is Cornell Plexi 18/20

inv4zfa22lyjftjtl9sc.jpg

(image from the web)

my interest on amp, which lives in my dreams :) would be something around that Dumble-ish tight/fast tone and drive

On 1/14/2022 at 9:14 PM, yoslate said:

When we (Ed - bass, Gino - gtr. - and I ) were working up the arrangements for the twenty-five-or-so tunes for the multi-artist benefit project we spent the last two years on, Gino and I'd show up at Ed's a couple times a week with our Micro Cubes.  We could get a variety of useful tones at very low volume.  We could discuss while playing, and it was like taking my lunchbox to work.  I really love that little thing!  At home, my wife has tinnitus, but playing unamplified all of the time grew really old!  The Micro Cube keeps both of us happier.  Kind of miss winding up the Top Hat, though.  My god that thing was glorious!

I have tinnitus too- I suppose from years of drumming without ear protection.  Nonstop swishing or high pitch ringing in my ears. Did you give your wife tinnitus from your loud guitar playing?

On 1/15/2022 at 6:05 PM, TalismanRich said:

I rotate through amps like I do my guitars.   For the past couple of years,  the Princeton clone has probably gotten the most play time.   About a month ago,  I pulled the Classic 30 out and put it upstairs with some of my guitars.   Then I fired up the Patriot, although I'm wondering if there is something happening with it.   It was making a strange background noise, especially if I moved the Mood control to max.

Then I was playing with the Marshall 401, no pedals, but with a good amount of crunch. 

That's the nice thing about having amps with differences.  Its just like having different guitars.

Or many different girlfriends.  

#1-Princeton tweed with 12” cannabis rex

#2-Fender Supersonic 60 1x12 (Thanks Brent)

#3-KBP Tweed Deluxe with 12” Eminence Legend (Thanks Brian)

#4-65 Deluxe Reverb RI

2 hours ago, ElNumero said:

I have tinnitus too- I suppose from years of drumming without ear protection.  Nonstop swishing or high pitch ringing in my ears. Did you give your wife tinnitus from your loud guitar playing?

Hers is chirping crickets, and if exposed to anything particularly loud or in the right (wrong!) frequency range, it will degenerate into hyperacusis, a difficult situation.  She seems to have contracted it about twenty-five years ago after taking an antibiotic for an infection.  It's let up for a grand total of two days in the twenty-five years.  I've always played unamplified or incredibly quietly (that's why the Micro Cube works for me) in the house.  She's heard me play with a band twice in the forty years we've know each other, once from the other side of a plate glass window, and once at an outdoor gig, from inside my car, parked near the stage.

53 minutes ago, yoslate said:

Hers is chirping crickets, and if exposed to anything particularly loud or in the right (wrong!) frequency range, it will degenerate into hyperacusis, a difficult situation.  She seems to have contracted it about twenty-five years ago after taking an antibiotic for an infection.  It's let up for a grand total of two days in the twenty-five years.  I've always played unamplified or incredibly quietly (that's why the Micro Cube works for me) in the house.  She's heard me play with a band twice in the forty years we've know each other, once from the other side of a plate glass window, and once at an outdoor gig, from inside my car, parked near the stage.

I feel for her, that has got to be tough!

Maybe we need a tinnitus story thread. My favorite was when I first started going out with my wife, a dental hygienist for year, was telling me about how she was backpacking and all of a sudden she started hearing the tinnitus sounds. It really spun her out and still does. I asked her to describe it and I replied "I have never known a time when I didn't hear that." I was relating this to a friend and he is a musician. He said "Oh, so there is a word for that sound?"

I don't mean to be cavalier about it. I know that it is present and if I focus on it I could probably get spun out by it too. I have blue eyes. I am six feet tall. I have tinnitus.

Oh, and I love amps as much as guitars.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, ElNumero said:

#1-Princeton tweed with 12” cannabis rex

#2-Fender Supersonic 60 1x12 (Thanks Brent)

#3-KBP Tweed Deluxe with 12” Eminence Legend (Thanks Brian)

#4-65 Deluxe Reverb RI

While I loved my Supersonic 60, particularly the Bassman channel, that amp was way too loud for home or on a stage.  I could never turn the volume past 2 when playing live.  The features were rather killer though.  Loved how I could use the effects loop like a boost.

• 2 weeks later...

With my Heritage it's my Mesa Rosette . (300w  2x8 with horn)  it is sublime for clean electric or Acoustic 

For Rock I have Studio 22+ Mesa/Boogie and for Bass  a Mesa  800w Tube/D with 2x15 and horn

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 3:37 PM, Jaguarguy said:

My divided by 13 FTR19/37 is my favorite amp

My best sounding amp is a Dr. Z Prescription followed closely by my Dr. Z Stingray (#001) previously owned by Brad Paisley

zsanddivedby13.JPG.549c4c86acbed816a441b705e6161f1b.JPGimage.jpg4_zps6ponpphi.JPG.4c8ab66081366e4ae6fe0a983dbe7872.JPGimage.jpg4_zps6ponpphi.JPG.4c8ab66081366e4ae6fe0a983dbe7872.JPGimage.jpg11_zps4sbxe3m6.JPG.714982c0567c14e8eb0fa11431918572.JPG

Reminds me a bit of ZZ top.

I guess it's time to check on those 56 year old RS filter caps. I bought some new RIFA's a while back, but the amp was working fine so didn't install them yet. Since I haven't been using it much the originals probably dried up on me :(

Archived