Heritage Owners Club

First Time Heritage Owner

RustyStrings

What's up all, I'm new to the Heritage owners club and couldn't be more pumped up about this guitar I've come to love!

Quick background on me: I've been an acoustic snob for the last decade and just in the last year started dabbling in electric (what in the hell took me so long to get around to electric...idk). Since the time I got my feet wet I've completely plunged in the deep end and now eat, sleep, and breath electric. I've got tunnel vision for the Blues right now.

After going through 5 electric guitars in less than 12 months I stumbled into a local shop that had this gorgeous gold top (my favorite look) hanging behind the counter made by Heritage...who I had never heard of before. I had been bouncing between Epi, Fender, and Gibson and wasn't able to settle on any of them. So not knowing Heritage I figured I'd plug it in to a Delta Blues 115 and see how the neck felt. Until this guitar I hadn't played a neck sweeter than a 2010 Clapton Strat, and that thing was buttery-smooth (the radius I wasn't a fan of, however). As soon as I put my hands on this H140 it immediately felt at home, like an old friend. The sound perked me up even more, it was a perfect mix of subtle warmth and twang coming from the '61 Gibson Humbuckers the previous owner had installed. The cherry on top was the price. I new within the first few minutes the guitar was going home with me (and the Delta Blues came home as well) though I sat and played for an hour.

She's got some wear and tear from the previous owner gigging with it (and prob the one before) but nothing that is alarming. I'd like to swap out the bridge and tailpiece, if anyone has recommendations I'm all ears. I also need to change the output jack and I think the pickup selector switch needs to be swapped out as well. If there's any recommendations or vids on this I'd appreciate it.

The last cool little bit that cemented this guitar being mine until I turn to ash is it shares my 2nd daughters birthday! I imagine I'll pass it along to her one day.

Here's my new favorite guitar:
1991 H-140 Gold Top
h140.thumb.jpeg.17ae33d1578c5590ca94514df93be99e.jpegh140-2.thumb.jpeg.e17b6668281845ed921e87983a9d1621.jpegh140-3.thumb.jpeg.ef438c34cb939701f99e257a9bb476a8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Did I read that correctly?  Your H-140 has '61 Gibson PAF's?!

Congratulations on your NGD and welcome to the HOC!

It's the 61 Zebra's unless I'm mistaken.. I don't think they're from 1961 (but that would be a sweet upgrade)! I would edit the initial post the clarify but for whatever reason I'm not able to.

Thanks for the welcome folks! 

1 hour ago, Jamesian21 said:

Welcome!
definitely wanting clarification on the PUPs!
I also am not the biggest fan of the shaller roller bridge, 
tone pros is a popular, simple, and solid upgrade

This is my first encounter with both the bridge and tailpiece and after 2 sets of strings I'm not a fan. The tailpiece makes it hard to get any gauge above a 46 in for the low E. I prefer a heavy bottom right now and squeezing in a 52 required some lube. I'm pretty sure the pickups are the 61 Gibson Zebras rather than being from 1961, tho I'd love to be wrong.

5 hours ago, RustyStrings said:

What's up all, I'm new to the Heritage owners club and couldn't be more pumped up about this guitar I've come to love!

Quick background on me: I've been an acoustic snob for the last decade and just in the last year started dabbling in electric (what in the hell took me so long to get around to electric...idk). Since the time I got my feet wet I've completely plunged in the deep end and now eat, sleep, and breath electric. I've got tunnel vision for the Blues right now.

After going through 5 electric guitars in less than 12 months I stumbled into a local shop that had this gorgeous gold top (my favorite look) hanging behind the counter made by Heritage...who I had never heard of before. I had been bouncing between Epi, Fender, and Gibson and wasn't able to settle on any of them. So not knowing Heritage I figured I'd plug it in to a Delta Blues 115 and see how the neck felt. Until this guitar I hadn't played a neck sweeter than a 2010 Clapton Strat, and that thing was buttery-smooth (the radius I wasn't a fan of, however). As soon as I put my hands on this H140 it immediately felt at home, like an old friend. The sound perked me up even more, it was a perfect mix of subtle warmth and twang coming from the '61 Gibson Humbuckers the previous owner had installed. The cherry on top was the price. I new within the first few minutes the guitar was going home with me (and the Delta Blues came home as well) though I sat and played for an hour.

She's got some wear and tear from the previous owner gigging with it (and prob the one before) but nothing that is alarming. I'd like to swap out the bridge and tailpiece, if anyone has recommendations I'm all ears. I also need to change the output jack and I think the pickup selector switch needs to be swapped out as well. If there's any recommendations or vids on this I'd appreciate it.

The last cool little bit that cemented this guitar being mine until I turn to ash is it shares my 2nd daughters birthday! I imagine I'll pass it along to her one day.

Here's my new favorite guitar:
1991 H-140 Gold Top
h140.thumb.jpeg.17ae33d1578c5590ca94514df93be99e.jpegh140-2.thumb.jpeg.e17b6668281845ed921e87983a9d1621.jpeg

Welcome to the club!

That H-140 is a GREAT find!

I like aluminum tailpieces.

6 hours ago, RustyStrings said:

I'm pretty sure the pickups are the 61 Gibson Zebras rather than being from 1961, tho I'd love to be wrong.

Welcome to the fold, Rusty!  Nice 140!  And for entertainment purposes only:  A pair of vintage '61 PAF's would be, in the current market, a $5K to $10K upgrade.  I just looked on eBay, and there are three sets for sale there:  a pair of '61's out of a Barney Kessel (exactly what I have in my 20th Anniversary 150, plus the harness) for a staggering $10K; a set of black bobbin PAF's of indeterminate year for $10.5K; and, get this, a pair of alleged '59's, covers off, double-whites for an unbelievable $18K.  At this rate, think I'll hang on to mine for another sixty-one years (I'll be 130), at which time they should be worth about $2.75M....

Nothing wrong with being an acoustic snob !!!

Seriously although my first love is acoustics,there is nothing wrong with electrics,just a little different.

Currently this household has just over 40 electrics to just over 20 acoustics (havent had time to count exactly

recently.)

4 hours ago, brentrocks said:

H140s are a hidden jems.   Light weight and great tone!   

C0D5CFC0-B125-485F-9336-91928BD8E4E0.thumb.jpeg.15b05bcc5b848b6647aaaea476a8e295.jpeg

Those gorgeous! Idk if I like the black or the white pickguard better...those soapbar PUs look nice tho. What model are they and how do they sound?

1 hour ago, houndhome said:

Nothing wrong with being an acoustic snob !!!

Seriously although my first love is acoustics,there is nothing wrong with electrics,just a little different.

Currently this household has just over 40 electrics to just over 20 acoustics (havent had time to count exactly

recently.)

Daaaammmmnnnn! I thought I was building up when I had 6 acoustics and 3 electrics ... I'd need and entire room for storage!

11 hours ago, yoslate said:

Welcome to the fold, Rusty!  Nice 140!  And for entertainment purposes only:  A pair of vintage '61 PAF's would be, in the current market, a $5K to $10K upgrade.  I just looked on eBay, and there are three sets for sale there:  a pair of '61's out of a Barney Kessel (exactly what I have in my 20th Anniversary 150, plus the harness) for a staggering $10K; a set of black bobbin PAF's of indeterminate year for $10.5K; and, get this, a pair of alleged '59's, covers off, double-whites for an unbelievable $18K.  At this rate, think I'll hang on to mine for another sixty-one years (I'll be 130), at which time they should be worth about $2.75M....

I just can't wrap my head around spending that much for vintage PUs, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who would have no qualms. I did look closely at mine after doing a little research. If mine do happen to be the real deal vintage Zebras then they are ultra rare b/c of the adjustable poles being on the white bobbins, and they're in great shape. I'm assuming these are recreations, I don't think I can find out unless removing them which I'm not going to attempt yet. This site was a good resource to read up on the PAFs

19 hours ago, RustyStrings said:

This is my first encounter with both the bridge and tailpiece and after 2 sets of strings I'm not a fan. The tailpiece makes it hard to get any gauge above a 46 in for the low E. I prefer a heavy bottom right now and squeezing in a 52 required some lube. I'm pretty sure the pickups are the 61 Gibson Zebras rather than being from 1961, tho I'd love to be wrong.

they also look a little goofy to me as well.
I like Tonepros cause they lock in place and was a simple swap
Faber and Gotoh are also other popular upgrades

1 hour ago, RustyStrings said:

Daaaammmmnnnn! I thought I was building up when I had 6 acoustics and 3 electrics ... I'd need and entire room for storage!

I find I need a complete house !! Looking under a bed or opening a wardrobe can be tricky.With electrics Fenders are the most popular,

6 Strats,2 Teles,A Jaguar,Jazzmaster,Bass V1,Jazz bass (+ a Palomino acoustic),followed by Burns/Baldwin around 10),Heritage (5),

Gibson/Epiphone(4 US) then some oddities such as a Vox Phantom X11 Special (possibly only 7 made).

Acoustics led by Martin (7 plus my partner has 2 more),Gibson (3),Brook (3) Dave King (2),Russell Wootton (2),Levin,Walden,

Crafter,Ozark resonator.Some people play a new tune every day,I just seem to play the same stuff on a different guitar every day !!

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I am guessing the pickups in that H-150 are the newer Gibson 61R and 61T repros. The same ones they put in the new '60s Les Paul guitars. 

3 hours ago, ElChoad said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I am guessing the pickups in that H-150 are the newer Gibson 61R and 61T repros. The same ones they put in the new '60s Les Paul guitars. 

Not a downer at all. I agree I think they're the newer line (which I thought were Zebra but later learned that's the term for the black and white bobbins...). All of the PU stuff is really new to me, I've been an acoustic guy my whole gee-tarring career.

1 hour ago, PunkKitty said:

^^^ The newer Gibson 61 pickups were renamed Burstbucker 61, and it's probably more accurate. They really aren't bad pickups.

I'm completely fine with them, at least for now. I'd like to tinker with some different ones once I replace some of the hardware. But for now the sound I get out of them with my Delta Blues 115 has me happier than a tornado in a trailer park...my wife would say otherwise.

8 hours ago, Jamesian21 said:

they also look a little goofy to me as well.
I like Tonepros cause they lock in place and was a simple swap
Faber and Gotoh are also other popular upgrades

I was looking at some TonePros on StewMac, is there a specific model I need to use or do they all fit well?

Specifically I was looking at these.

Archived