Heritage Owners Club

Guitar on planes

Philapete

I would think that would depend on a lot on the plane and what size bins they have, as well as their airline and their policy for letting you being such a large case on board. Many airlines recognize the delicate nature of instruments and the desire to avoid checking them. Some airlines will let you try to fit it in the overhead bin, and if it fits and the plane is not too full, they’re happy to let you do that.  If the plane is full, they’re less likely to let you try it. Some airlines let you purchase an additional seat and strap it into the seat. 

My understanding is that airlines are required by federal law to allow small musical instruments such as guitars to be carried on board. And this particular airline, frontier, does allow then to be carried on if they fit in the overhead. If not they get gate checked which could be a nightmare. I agree that a lot depends on the particular airplane. Problem is that I won’t know if it fits until I’m on board and then the die is cast so to speak. I think In the final analysis it is probably better to ship it. 

It’s a big risk. I was told by an airlines (don’t remember which) I could carry on my guitar, an ES347 (335 size). When I walked down the jet way and got to the plane I was denied the ability to bring it on and given no choice but to check it. There is no guarantee you can bring it on other than buy it a seat of its own. 

1 hour ago, zguitar71 said:

It’s a big risk. I was told by an airlines (don’t remember which) I could carry on my guitar, an ES347 (335 size). When I walked down the jet way and got to the plane I was denied the ability to bring it on and given no choice but to check it. There is no guarantee you can bring it on other than buy it a seat of its own. 

I had a similar experience recently. I checked the night before my flight and it was about half-full. So I decided to take the risk and try to carry it on. When I went to board, the gate agent initially denied me to carry it on. I have platinum status with that airline and asked her politely if I could try to fit it, and if it wouldn’t fit, I would gate check it. She reluctantly agreed. Luckily, it did fit. But I came very close to having to check it and that could have been a disaster. I don’t think I would take that risk again. 

When I fly I also carry a headless Carvin Holdsworth. Man, that sucker fits just about anywhere and actually sounds great. however, I hate it when chicks point at me and say look at that guitar players little guitar. It is so cure!

1 hour ago, MartyGrass said:

My Steinberger in its case looked like a shotgun or rifle as I carried it through the airport twice weekly.

My brother is a pro musician who travels often with a Steinberger bass that I gave him years ago.  TSA's consistently stop and search the rectangle-shaped hard case for a concealed weapon, but a goofy looking headless 5-string bass appears each time. 

George Benson said that one of the reasons he designed his downsized signature Ibanez GB10 hollowbody guitar was so it would fit in airline overhead storage bins.

Thanks for all the replies. I was trying to figure out how to bring a new Sweet 16 home on the plane. My solution is that I found another within driving distance so I don't need to fly. I'm going to pick it up in a few days. Thanks again.

We lived in Europe for 18 years, I did a lot of transatlantic flights back to the States. When I flew on my own nickel I would fly economy.  When I asked to carry a guitar onboard I always asked that the cabin crew could store it in a place that would be most convenient for them. I also said I was happy to be last off if that would be more convenient for them.They always helped out.

I would be far more comfortable to "wing it" with a solid body than a carved archtop.  Those of us who have flown a lot will have personal experiences of lost luggage. This is out of your control.  Several times I have had items that arrived on a subsequent flight because of room or weight issues that prevented loading the stuff.  That's not predictable.

Another concern is watching how checked luggage is treated.  I have seen luggage thrown around.  I can only imagine what happens in areas that are hidden to viewers.

One of my friends had his new Gibson ES-175 decapitated in a flight where he checked it in at the counter a couple of years ago.

I have brought my H-150 on trips a few times and was fortunate that there was room in a closet.  The risk was that I'd have to plane side check it.  I packed the guitar in the case as if it were being sent by UPS.  No problems so far.  An archtop is a different story, at least for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU6F12S6q48

On 1/22/2022 at 2:06 PM, rwinking said:

When I fly I also carry a headless Carvin Holdsworth. Man, that sucker fits just about anywhere and actually sounds great. however, I hate it when chicks point at me and say look at that guitar players little guitar. It is so cure!

it could be worse...what if the chick said look at that little thing without the head on it

On 1/23/2022 at 7:44 AM, MartyGrass said:

I would be far more comfortable to "wing it" with a solid body than a carved archtop.  Those of us who have flown a lot will have personal experiences of lost luggage. This is out of your control.  Several times I have had items that arrived on a subsequent flight because of room or weight issues that prevented loading the stuff.  That's not predictable.

Another concern is watching how checked luggage is treated.  I have seen luggage thrown around.  I can only imagine what happens in areas that are hidden to viewers.

One of my friends had his new Gibson ES-175 decapitated in a flight where he checked it in at the counter a couple of years ago.

I have brought my H-150 on trips a few times and was fortunate that there was room in a closet.  The risk was that I'd have to plane side check it.  I packed the guitar in the case as if it were being sent by UPS.  No problems so far.  An archtop is a different story, at least for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU6F12S6q48

https://www.google.com/search?q=united+breaks+guitars+youtube&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS807US807&oq=united+breaks+&aqs=chrome.3.0i433i512j69i57j0i512l2j46i512l2j0i512l2j46i512j0i512.4675j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

On 1/22/2022 at 6:05 AM, Philapete said:

My understanding is that airlines are required by federal law to allow small musical instruments such as guitars to be carried on board. And this particular airline, frontier, does allow then to be carried on if they fit in the overhead. If not they get gate checked which could be a nightmare. I agree that a lot depends on the particular airplane. Problem is that I won’t know if it fits until I’m on board and then the die is cast so to speak. I think In the final analysis it is probably better to ship it. 

Do you have to use your Sweet 16 on this trip, or can you take another guitar that is less fragile...like a Tele or Strat? 

As long as you use a gig bag they will easily fit in an overhead bin. 

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

it could be worse...what if the chick said look at that little thing without the head on it

You heard about my war injury then?

I have traveled with a few guitars, and it's a crapshoot. Unless you are willing to buy an ATA approved case, and check the instrument......

I was told the only way to "guarantee" carry on is to purchase a ticket for the instrument; and I've done so twice, once for an L5, and once for a L4.

I've been able to carry on a LP junior, a LP Custom, a LP goldtop, a Gretsch Country Club (on separate trips)

I've had to gate check a SJ-200, due to the size of the aircraft.

I suggest getting there plenty early, and being polite with the gate agent. They are the first "gate" in the trip. I often ask if it would be possible to be seated in the last row, as those are often empty (I think they are last to be sold and are sort of held for traveling air crews). I have had the row to myself, and the whole overhead bin above it.

The next "gate" is the attendant in the door of the plane. Be polite, as there's no arguing with them; it's their world. Tell them you know from experience the case fits in an overhead bin if they ask. If you get to a bin and it does not fit, ask if there's a coat closet, or if you can stash it behind the last row of seats (this is a gamble, as it bending the rules to have "unsecured" luggage in the cabin).

If you get to this point, and it goes wrong, then it's getting gate checked. I prepare for this as follows:

1/2 step tuned down. I buy lots of cheap white washcloths, and I pack them in the case to immobilize the guitar. I pack them under and on top of the headstock, around the perimeter of the body, all around the neck. A nylon strap with d rings threaded thru the handle and around the outside of the case in case the latches pop.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:02 PM, MartyGrass said:

Good luck with that.

I can't take credit for that idea. I got it from a guy who did just that.

Also, on large commercial jet aircraft, there is an employee lounge in a secret compartment of the aircraft which has enough room for bunks for the flight crew. On long flights, members of the flight crew will periodically disappear in order to go take a nap or just relax away from the fussy customers. As it is generally a good idea for at least one person on the flight crew to remain awake during the flight so that they can fly the plane, it is reasonable to assume that there will always be at least one bunk that no one is sleeping in at any given moment which could accommodate a guitar.  But, they could still say no. So there are no guarantees with this idea.

Archived