Heritage Owners Club

Speakers

Getting used to the Marshall amp, but one thing I keep reading is how the Celestion 70-80 speaker is not a good fit for the amp.  

I've never gone down the speaker rabbit hole, but I'm curious about "upgrading" my speaker.

Its a 12", 16 ohm speaker now.

I've heard good things about the Eminence Texas Heat, Celestion V30, Eminence Cannabus Rex...

How in the world am I supposed to know what I like?

I'm sure a lot of you have gone down this path, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would start shopping at Warehouse Guitar Speakers and, make a clear decision as to what end results you are trying to achieve and then choose the best speaker design for that goal. Also note that you are allowed to have more than one cabinet and you are also allowed to mix speaker designs inside the same cabinet as long as the electrical stuff is correct.

You will also need to make sure you have the right cabinet. I'm currently using two different Marshall 2x12 fully enclosed cabinets. One has the normal Celestion speakers that Marshall uses and the other has Vintage 30's. I can use one, the other, or both at the same time if I want. A lot of metalheads in the 80's from some of my favorite bands also used one, the other or both at the same time.

Determine your tone goal first and then get the right tool for the job.

Whoa...  Having been down this rabbit hole, I can assure you it is deep, dark, cold and lonely.  Given the provenance of where you got it, I'd say they probably already went down this road.  Honestly, you'd be better off buying ten different 12AX7s and trying them in V1.

'70s Marshalls Are best known for Celestion Greeenbacks.  I enjoy the Creambacks with high-gain amps, even within that type there are four different models.

To start your search you need to match size and impedance.  That'll wipe out half of the choices.  Then think about efficiency, a lower value will allow you to turn up the amp given constant sound pressure levels.  You'll need to review WGS, Celestion, Avatar, Eminence, Skumback, JBL, etc.  Each manufacturer will have a different method of describing how they will produce sonic nirvana; that's always fun to wade through.  Finally, in a macro sense, speakers change when they break-in.

I found a new (old) speaker to chase based on the UA OX.  You could go that way.  Test different speakers either with an OX or other device that allows IRs to try different speakers.  Use your WAZA TAE, it allows user IRs.  It's a Much less expensive way to try different speakers.

It' a shame you don't live closer.  I have a slew of speakers here.

I went down the speaker rabbit hole big time, but not for what is found in the music stores.  Did the vintage thing on Fleabay.  I bought them and rolled them.  Speaker has larger effect on tone than output tranny or rolling tubes.  I have lots of 12's and 15's.  Some of them were real surprises for dirt cheap in a good way.  Best of luck.  Don't believe what you are told or read, your own ears have to be used.  Once you have heard most of the common stuff, then you will know the basic tendencies of those models.  Just like rolling tubes, but more expensive.  Yes, it is a lonely pursuit.  Glad for what I know as a result, but yep, $$$.  Need to thin the herd in a big way now.  Glad I took that path though!

On 1/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, Steiner said:

Whoa...  Having been down this rabbit hole, I can assure you it is deep, dark, cold and lonely.  Given the provenance of where you got it, I'd say they probably already went down this road.  Honestly, you'd be better off buying ten different 12AX7s and trying them in V1.

'70s Marshalls Are best known for Celestion Greeenbacks.  I enjoy the Creambacks with high-gain amps, even within that type there are four different models.

To start your search you need to match size and impedance.  That'll wipe out half of the choices.  Then think about efficiency, a lower value will allow you to turn up the amp given constant sound pressure levels.  You'll need to review WGS, Celestion, Avatar, Eminence, Skumback, JBL, etc.  Each manufacturer will have a different method of describing how they will produce sonic nirvana; that's always fun to wade through.  Finally, in a macro sense, speakers change when they break-in.

I found a new (old) speaker to chase based on the UA OX.  You could go that way.  Test different speakers either with an OX or other device that allows IRs to try different speakers.  Use your WAZA TAE, it allows user IRs.  It's a Much less expensive way to try different speakers.

It' a shame you don't live closer.  I have a slew of speakers here.

Ah yes, it is a shame….

17 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Finally, in a macro sense, speakers change when they break-in.

No kidding on that one! A new speaker will sound completely different once it is broken in.

BTW, I have an old twin with EV SRO's from the fifties with the coffee can sized magnets. There is nothing like that sound! However, being a twin by itself, it is too heavy to carry around anymore. But adding those speakers makes it almost impossible to lift. Is anyone cloning those SROs or is it too expensive to make them? I actually have an IR for a pair of those and it's as close as you can get, but nothing like the real thing unfortunately.

36 minutes ago, rwinking said:

No kidding on that one! A new speaker will sound completely different once it is broken in.

BTW, I have an old twin with EV SRO's from the fifties with the coffee can sized magnets. There is nothing like that sound! However, being a twin by itself, it is too heavy to carry around anymore. But adding those speakers makes it almost impossible to lift. Is anyone cloning those SROs or is it too expensive to make them? I actually have an IR for a pair of those and it's as close as you can get, but nothing like the real thing unfortunately.

Not sure if these are a modern take on the SRO, but the Eminence Legend and CelestionBN12 are claimed by some (on the net) to be close.

I found that the 10" Legend sounded darn close to the EV10 in my old Super Champ and non-reverb Princeton.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:37 AM, DetroitBlues said:

How in the world am I supposed to know what I like?

There's a lot out there to like, but first I'd make sure I DON"T like a speaker before replacing it. How is it not working for you? 

Give it a fair hearing.

Man, I always heard that Les Paul style guitars should be matched with Marshall amps. I did a couple trades and ended up with a DSL40c. I could not get a sound out of that amp that made me happy. I traded it for another Orange Tiny Terror combo. I will never buy another Marshall. Just my experience.

Put a Greenback in it and your search will be over.  Of the many speakers and different manufactures I have tried, for the classic rock & Marshall sound.... the Celestion Greenback was easily the clear winner. 

3 hours ago, Kuz said:

Put a Greenback in it and your search will be over.  Of the many speakers and different manufactures I have tried, for the classic rock & Marshall sound.... the Celestion Greenback was easily the clear winner. 

that's what I'm leaning toward.

Saw this video and was sold... Price difference between a Greenback and Creamback is $20.

14 hours ago, ElChoad said:

Man, I always heard that Les Paul style guitars should be matched with Marshall amps. I did a couple trades and ended up with a DSL40c. I could not get a sound out of that amp that made me happy. I traded it for another Orange Tiny Terror combo. I will never buy another Marshall. Just my experience.

I had a DSL40C with a Creamback.  Absolutely loved the amp, but it was way too loud.  At the time I purchased the DSL40 the 20 didn't exist as a combo.  If the DSL20CR would have been available, I would have purchased it over the DSL40.  Features for both are comparable.   A member/lurker here owns a DSL40, he put a passive attenuator in the the effects loop and really tamed the amp a lot.

While my band has a Fender Deville for me to use, I may bring this amp to band practice and I'll know if I like the speaker or not.

A couple of things about that video....unless it was just meant as a generic shot of the speaker, the Greenback was 16 ohms and the Creamback was 8 ohms. I prefer the Creamback overall. However, the Greenback had its moments. I guess the lesson here is what style are you going to use the speaker for?

I’ve used both G12M Greenbacks and the G12H Creambacks.   They’re both great and work well with Marshall style amps.  I don’t think you can go wrong with a Greenback or Creamback type.  I have a Marshall 4x12 full of Greenbacks thst sounds great and my Metropoulos 2x12 has the Creambacks.  I may sub out one Creamback H for an Alnico Cream.  

10 minutes ago, greatmutah2112 said:

I’ve used both G12M Greenbacks and the G12H Creambacks.   They’re both great and work well with Marshall style amps.  I don’t think you can go wrong with a Greenback or Creamback type.  I have a Marshall 4x12 full of Greenbacks thst sounds great and my Metropoulos 2x12 has the Creambacks.  I may sub out one Creamback H for an Alnico Cream.  

That's the same combination I use.  Including a '71 Marshall 4x12 w/ blackbacks.

+1

It's a shame you don't live closer DB...

For 20w amp the world is your oyster, in terms of speakers.

I like Eminence private jacks, but a greenback would probably be a good fit too.

You could try a celestion blue, or gold in there, for some alnico flavour

I owned several Creambacks and sold them (sold at least one to Greg).  Creambacks are great, but are less rude and more refined.  Greenbacks are rock & roll, especially '70s rock.  They aren't for metal heads really, but they are the definitive speaker when you think of 70s 'R&R. 

There's Scumback speakers too.  I've interacted with Jim.  He's very knowledgeable, helpful and sells a quality product.  Just in case you don't already have enough options.  sales@scumbackspeakers.com

I have a couple Scumbacks here; it's a shame you don't live closer...

oh yeah, he makes the best speakers around!! How could I forget. I have Marshall 4x12 loaded with them. They are killer.

Out of sight, out of mind: You can't see them inside a sealed cab, like an open backed combo.

*edit plus a 4x10 with Scumbacks too! Glorious speakers.

8 hours ago, bolero said:

oh yeah, he makes the best speakers around!! How could I forget. I have Marshall 4x12 loaded with them. They are killer.

Out of sight, out of mind: You can't see them inside a sealed cab, like an open backed combo.

*edit plus a 4x10 with Scumbacks too! Glorious speakers.

Its an open back combo amp...

Archived