Heritage Owners Club

Core vs Standard H-150

pcovers

Ok, I am sure this has been beat to death already. I haven't been around for a few years and would like a cut to the chase explanation of what accounts for the extra grand for a core over the standard H-150. Seems most of us already had extolled the virtues of the standard H-150. Great sound, great feel, great looks, great tone.....etc. I'm not questioning the extra cost, just wondering what accounts for the added cost. I have read what I can and watched videos comparing the two, but still could use maybe a couple more words from those here to help me get the picture a little clearer. It seems on looks and basic wood selection, they appear pretty similar. I know there is some pickup differences, but these are mostly subjective choices. What is the extra added build attention that the core gets that the standard model does not.

Sorry if this is a dead horse topic, but consider me late to the party on the topic.......Thanks

I have both built in 2021. There are a few differences. As you mentioned, different pickups. The CC has a premium top, more flame. The Standard weighs 9 pounds, 6 ounces, the CC is only 8 pounds, 1/2 ounce. The CC has a locking bridge and an aluminum tailpiece, and also Heritage tuners instead of Grovers. The CC also hasore of a VOS finish, less glossy. There is a huge difference in the cases, as well. I can't really say if the differences make the upgrade worth it for you, but if I had it to do over again, I would have just started with the CC and called it a day. But I also got a really good deal on my CC. 

It looks like the plain top is the same price as the highly flamed top. Maybe it's just as hard to find a good-looking plain top as it is a good looking flame top. It does seem most reviews are very complimentary about the luster on the finish of the CC model.

The plain tops are $3500 retail, the flames are $3800. I had to get my CC because Musician's Fiend was blowing them out on Christmas. $3000 for a flame top. I couldn't pass up $800 off.

Here are some additional differences between CC and Standard. Headstock on Standard does not have the floret inlay….CC model does. The neck angle is 5.5 degrees on Standard and 4.5 degrees on CC (same as Gibson on their Les Pauls). This neck angle allows the strings on CC models to go through the tailpiece and over the bridge without any of the strings touching the back of the bridge. On the Standards if you lower the tailpiece (ie deck it) from tne factory setup…it seems it is necessary to top wrap the strings so they won’t hit the back of the bridge. The top carve on the Standard has a deeper dish than the CC (again CC is top carve is similar to Gibson). The pickups on the Standards are all stock SD59’s and the CC pickups are proprietary to the model and underwound and I think they are unpotted…not 100% on that. The headstock on Standard does not have a genuine wood veneer laminate on it….CC model does not. Cheers. 

22 minutes ago, bolero said:

Thx for the extra details! I thought the CC had a deeper dish top carve than the H150?

Chris, there was, apparently, a '58 or '59 Burst Edwin Wilson wanted the Custom Core to emulate in its top carve. 

9 hours ago, JBHII said:

Here are some additional differences between CC and Standard. Headstock on Standard does not have the floret inlay….CC model does. The neck angle is 5.5 degrees on Standard and 4.5 degrees on CC (same as Gibson on their Les Pauls). This neck angle allows the strings on CC models to go through the tailpiece and over the bridge without any of the strings touching the back of the bridge. On the Standards if you lower the tailpiece (ie deck it) from tne factory setup…it seems it is necessary to top wrap the strings so they won’t hit the back of the bridge. The top carve on the Standard has a deeper dish than the CC (again CC is top carve is similar to Gibson). The pickups on the Standards are all stock SD59’s and the CC pickups are proprietary to the model and underwound and I think they are unpotted…not 100% on that. The headstock on Standard does not have a genuine wood veneer laminate on it….CC model does not. Cheers. 

Very interesting details.  The lighter weight of Custom Core 150's is a big factor as well. 

If I were in the market for a 150 it would definitely be a CC.

On 2/2/2022 at 7:24 AM, JBHII said:

Good comparison.  Lastly, the standard 150 says The Heritage on the peghhead (which I like) and the CC just says Heritage.  For me, when you aggregate everything, the differences do not outweigh the extra cost and I am very happy with my 4 H-150s and the 9 lbs + is just fine with me.  

12 hours ago, skydog52 said:

Custom Cores have CNC shaping in their DNA. Results in more consistent carves.

That’s interesting.  I always liked the fact that no 2 standard H-150s are identical due to the 100% hand build.  

14 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Very interesting details.  The lighter weight of Custom Core 150's is a big factor as well. 

If I were in the market for a 150 it would definitely be a CC.

For me the weight is a non issue.  I love me a big heavy slab of mahogany. But that said, I also have a 2011 150LW, which I think is a relatively rare model to find!

On 1/31/2022 at 4:46 PM, pcovers said:

Ok, I am sure this has been beat to death already. I haven't been around for a few years and would like a cut to the chase explanation of what accounts for the extra grand for a core over the standard H-150. Seems most of us already had extolled the virtues of the standard H-150. Great sound, great feel, great looks, great tone.....etc. I'm not questioning the extra cost, just wondering what accounts for the added cost. I have read what I can and watched videos comparing the two, but still could use maybe a couple more words from those here to help me get the picture a little clearer. It seems on looks and basic wood selection, they appear pretty similar. I know there is some pickup differences, but these are mostly subjective choices. What is the extra added build attention that the core gets that the standard model does not.

Sorry if this is a dead horse topic, but consider me late to the party on the topic.......Thanks

Hey, you're still here!  Good to know and welcome back.

On 2/4/2022 at 9:02 AM, pcovers said:

Do you still have the LW?

I do.  

• 1 month later...

The Custom Cores specs are closer to a vintage Les Pauls. They also have the long neck tenon which the H150 s do not. I like the lower weight , at 8 1/2 pounds is just right for me . The neck is full without being to fat. Either way there both great guitars and are worth buying.

8 hours ago, pressure said:

Heritage H150s have had long neck tenons since at least 2017. Heritage H150s have real Mother-of-Pearl fretboard inlays. Custom Cores have plastic fretboard inlays.

That's no longer true. Unfortunately it looks like they went full plastic across the board.

I was reading the specs on one of the large retailers and it indicated that the inlays were plastic. I thought that was a typo and checked Heritage's website and lo and behold, plastic. ?

• Fretboard Inlays: Acrylic Trapezoid
  • Headplate: 'The Heritage' Logo

7 minutes ago, DavesNotHere said:

That's no longer true. Unfortunately it looks like they went full plastic across the board.

I was reading the specs on one of the large retailers and it indicated that the inlays were plastic. I thought that was a typo and checked Heritage's website and lo and behold, plastic. ?

• Fretboard Inlays: Acrylic Trapezoid
  • Headplate: 'The Heritage' Logo

Why?   Would not make sense as a cost saving measure as this is a premium piece.

OSHA?   I understand cutting MOP creates some pretty nasty dust.

Archived