Heritage Owners Club

Core vs Standard H-150

pcovers

3 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Why?   Would not make sense as a cost saving measure as this is a premium piece.

OSHA?   I understand cutting MOP creates some pretty nasty dust.

Cheapen the parts, increase the price, this is where everything is going. 

5 hours ago, DavesNotHere said:

I was reading the specs on one of the large retailers and it indicated that the inlays were plastic. I thought that was a typo and checked Heritage's website and lo and behold, plastic. ?

Thanks for that update. Just one more reason to buy an older Heritage.

I just went to Heritages website because I was wondering what else I may have missed but it still says H150 uses Mother-of-Pearl inlays.

H-150 | Solid Body Guitar

Our iconic H-150 features a solid carved figured maple top and mahogany back, with mother of pearl trapezoid inlays adorning the mahogany neck. Seymour Duncan '59s provide the rich, warm tone that today's guitarists are familiar with.

I'm not sure what to think.

21 minutes ago, pressure said:

I just went to Heritages website because I was wondering what else I may have missed but it still says H150 uses Mother-of-Pearl inlays.

H-150 | Solid Body Guitar

Our iconic H-150 features a solid carved figured maple top and mahogany back, with mother of pearl trapezoid inlays adorning the mahogany neck. Seymour Duncan '59s provide the rich, warm tone that today's guitarists are familiar with.

I'm not sure what to think.

Me either. This says plastic

https://heritageguitars.com/products/standard-collection-h-150-electric-guitar-with-case-dirty-lemon-burst

Crafted in our factory at 225 Parsons Street, Kalamazoo, this guitar features a curly maple top and genuine mahogany back and neck, with a nitrocellulose gloss finish that allows this guitar to age beautifully. A rosewood fretboard and beautiful acrylic trapezoid inlays add visual appeal to an all-time classic.

If "original" and "back in the day" matters, the LP's made in Kalamazoo before Heritage took over were "pearloid". LP's always had not real MOP fret inlays unless it was some special order. But as with most lore,  it only matters if it matters to you. 

2 hours ago, ElChoad said:

I have a '21 CC and Standard both. How do I tell if it's real or not?

Feel it with your finger and nails.   Use a couple of known examples. It should be obvious to the touch.

14 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Why?   Would not make sense as a cost saving measure as this is a premium piece.

OSHA?   I understand cutting MOP creates some pretty nasty dust.

I don't think that Heritage was cutting the MOP inlays.   Someplace like Custom Inlay was most likely supplying them.  

I would say they are acrylic as advertised. Not a whole lot of color variation and it doesn't dance as the light changes, not cold to the touch, and they feel pretty smooth. 

21 hours ago, Mustang64 said:

The Custom Cores specs are closer to a vintage Les Pauls. They also have the long neck tenon which the H150 s do not. I like the lower weight , at 8 1/2 pounds is just right for me . The neck is full without being to fat. Either way there both great guitars and are worth buying.

Heritage H150s have had long tenons for a since 2015 (my 2015 definitely has one)!

10 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I don't think that Heritage was cutting the MOP inlays.   Someplace like Custom Inlay was most likely supplying them.  

That was my belief as well. Custom Inlay supplied the inlaid blank fretboards (and the inlaid headstocks), and Heritage did the rest. I'd assume that with the increase in production, and/or maybe moving things to in house, probably resulted in the shift from using MOP. Seems unlikely to me that they would have intentionally switched to plastic because it was more true to the classic LP's (may have been one of the justifications, just doubt that it was the primary reason). 

Either way, thankfully with the successful widening of brand recognition, we  no longer have to to tout with the blinder wearing Gibson faithful that "Hey! At least ours has real MOP!", so perhaps it's moot now anyways, lol. 

8 hours ago, bolero said:

Well if the custom core is emulating a '59 LP, those had plastic inlays. So it probably appeals to that market segment.

I think this was the idea.  Probably doesn't hurt that the acrylic and its installation are likely less costly.

23 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Anyone out there with a current H150 who would be kind enough to feel the inlay and let us know if it is MOP of MOTS?

I get turned on by feeling inlays. Just ask High Flying Bird!

Archived