Heritage Owners Club

225 Pickups

ElChoad

Does anybody happen to have any of the technical specs on the 225 pickups? They're great, but I don't know what magnets or windings they use. I acquired a pair of OX4 Hot Duanes today and am wondering what pickups I will replace them with. I have several options. Any help is appreciated.

2 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

I'll bet they are guarding the secret sauce on the specs.  Last I heard these are wound in Tennessee.

When you find out the details, let us know.  Then go after the HRWs.

I'll never forget the time I had a couple of beers with Ren at one of the last PSP's at the barn and then tried to get him to talk about the HRW's. He just walked away. He won't say a word about them.

From Guitar.Com, April 22, 2021:  With alnico III magnets onboard, the tone is sweeter and smoother than it would likely be if the pickups loaded with alnico V magnets, and the output is a little lower. If you are inclined towards high gain and high volume, this cultured character combines with the wax-potting to make things nice and easy on the ear.  This is as much detail as I could find posted...anywhere.  Anything more is apparently a state secret. 

4 hours ago, yoslate said:

From Guitar.Com, April 22, 2021:  With alnico III magnets onboard, the tone is sweeter and smoother than it would likely be if the pickups loaded with alnico V magnets, and the output is a little lower. If you are inclined towards high gain and high volume, this cultured character combines with the wax-potting to make things nice and easy on the ear.  This is as much detail as I could find posted...anywhere.  Anything more is apparently a state secret. 

That's what I was looking for. Thank you. These are not being replaced, but it got me to thinking, which is never a good idea...?

2 hours ago, ElChoad said:

That's what I was looking for. Thank you. These are not being replaced, but it got me to thinking, which is never a good idea...?

I know, man.  I,too, can often resist anything other than temptation.  Was spanking my CC today, and, due to local regulations, playing through my Micro Cube, and those pickups sound great through that little thing!

49 minutes ago, yoslate said:

I know, man.  I,too, can often resist anything other than temptation.  Was spanking my CC today, and, due to local regulations, playing through my Micro Cube, and those pickups sound great through that little thing!

I usually run mine through a Supro Black Magick Reverb with a 2x12 cabinet. I'm fairly certain those two were made to go together. 

12 hours ago, yoslate said:

I would try running it through a Mesa Mark 5:25 on quiet mode through headphones with the speaker cab clone feature engaged before I would run it through a Micro Cube.

3 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

I would try running it through a Mesa Mark 5:25 on quiet mode through headphones with the speaker cab clone feature engaged before I would run it through a Micro Cube.

"(L)ocal means in the house.  "(R)egulations are those implied by the presence of my wife (a long-time tinnitus sufferer), in said house.  My hearing is congenitally and historically challenged enough that I don't need to subject it to what I would with be tempted to with that headphone rig.  I've had more than enough time on stage and in the studio to have had plenty of jollies with winding a given pile of amps up.  Plenty happy sitting in front of the computer with the Micro Cube on "JC Clean," gain dimed, and the volume at 9:00, with a touch of 'verb.  I think my point was that the 225's present their fine intrinsic qualities even through the most minimal of amps.

6 hours ago, yoslate said:

Plenty happy sitting in front of the computer with the Micro Cube on "JC Clean," gain dimed, and the volume at 9:00, with a touch of 'verb.  I think my point was that the 225's present their fine intrinsic qualities even through the most minimal of amps.

I'm happy that you are happy.

Archived