Heritage Owners Club

In search of a Johnny Smith!

Tigerpaus

My name is Michael but since this is a common name, for all of the obvious reasons, please call me Willis, an old stage name!

I am new to the forum...but not to Heritage guitars.  In the 90's I had a 575 built for me.  I did make the pilgrimage to Kalamazoo and picked out the woods.  I had a spruce top with one humbucker and she was a blonde!  Nice guitar and it was my money maker. After 25 yrs I outgrew it.

I was in a DC service band in my middle career and inherited a Heritage Johnny Smith from one of the great players who came before me.  It too was custom ordered and it had a built-in humbucker.  I had the privilege to play it for about 16 years.  It was part of me.  It was the best guitar I ever played.  Unfortunately, when I retired, I had to leave it with the band as it was Government property.  

I would love to replace it, but I know this one is rare.  

If you could, please tell me what is the going price these days for a Johnny Smith?  I have a 1969 Gibson JS...but they are different to me as well as I can recollect.  

Please get me up to speed as I have had no luck for the last 15 years to replace it.

Used guitar prices have really shot up the past year but archtops? Hit or miss. If it's "the" guitar you want, buy it. If you're looking for a better price I think that won't be difficult but will require waiting out for who knows how long. I see archtops of the same make and years sell for very different prices depending on who is selling plus who is buying. 

Beautiful guitars either way, good luck!

I've had a number of these over the years.  Without exception, each was well made.  But I have to confess that my passion for the HJS is routed in two things.  First, my guitar teacher when I was a kid had a Gibson JS.  Second, Johnny Smith is as much of a guitar hero to me as Jimi Hendrix.

There are a few differences between the HJS and a Golden Eagle.  The nut is wider and the scale is shorter on the HJS.  For some, that's a big deal.  The bracing and top carve seem about the same.  The neck block is close enough.  The rest of the differences are ornamental.

OTOH, soon it will be St. Patrick's day.

51720583394_285f01ea89_c.jpg

51720176468_ea4697368b_c.jpg

51720583249_926d69fd52_c.jpg

Archived